Intel graphics and LG 27GL850-B flickering at 144hertz?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
So I sold my old video card to make way for this Thursdays 3080. I am using my integrated graphics right now via display port. What I noticed with my LG monitor is that if the refresh rate is at 144hertz, I will get really bad flickering. But set the refresh rate to 120hertz, the picture is smooth and looks good.

What is going on here? I disabled freesync on the monitor, disabled power saving. Is this something with the cable? It came with the monitor.

Also I noticed when having the OSD up on the monitor the refresh rate was dropping to 72hertz then back to 144. Very odd. What could my issue be? This never happened with my 2060. Everything worked fine.

Last edited:
Can you recommend a good display port cable? I don't mind buying something decent. Just better than what was in the monitors box.

Thanks!

Actually why did I ask that? LoL. Anyways, take care.

Last edited:
I had this same issue with the Intel HD 630 graphics and this specific monitor. It starts out flickering very slowly at 144Hz, and become increasingly more flickery over time to the point where it creates a headache. I managed to resolve this so I will put it here for future reference.
  • This is certainly not a cable issue. As soon as I put in an AMD RX570 the issue went away, using the same cable. Also swapping out the DP cable for the one that came with the monitor made no difference.
  • Fixing the refresh rate to 120Hz gives an almost flicker-free image. Anything else but that creates massive flicker.
  • I played around with the settings and I found that changing the following settings resolved it for me:
    • Game adjust > Adaptive Sync: off
    • Input > Aspect ratio: Just scan
It looks to me that the Intel GPU is incompatible with the way this monitor handles refresh rate stuff by default. Changing the above settings allow me to change to any refresh rate without flickering.

Nice. I bought a new display port cable anyways. A better quality one that came with the monitor. Nice to know this though. I bought a 2070 and it does not do this with the same cable. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Question, does that monitor have adaptive sync toggle? If so, have you tried disabling it on the monitor but still keep the 144Hz refresh rate?

Yeah I tried disabling it still nothing. But I didn't try setting AR to Just Scan.

Back