Intel Gen11 Reportedly Takes iGPU Performance to Another Level

My main concern with Intel's GPU products is their lacking track record when it comes to driver support. Performance means little if your game or PC keeps crashing, so I hope they don't skimp on this in the future.

They got allot to prove before I can take them seriously.

I'd put them even with AMD or better. Intel has been focusing on their GPU drivers for some time now, despite having limited hardware to work with.

Iris has always been a premium laptop part first, and a desktop part as an afterthought (the original Broadwell+eDRAM processors were designed for the 13" Macbook Pro). It eventually trickled down into a handful of really expensive Japanese ultrabooks, but never gained much traction elsewhere.

They made a NUC-like minicomputer with it too, but yeah, very little market penetration. I assume the extra cost and TDP put their IRIS parts into a niche just too small for most markets, in that the savings in size wasn't worth the trade off of higher cost and TDP- said TDP increase possibly cancelling the potential size savings due to cooling versus a discrete part, if the cost argument didn't win first.

Of note, though: HBM on a smaller scale would make a compelling argument (for AMD too!)- the SRAM in Intel IRIS parts was fast enough to be used as an L3 (L4?) cache for the CPU as well while also being very small; HBM would keep the bandwidth and likely lower BoM and thermals, but wouldn't be as useful to the CPU.

I thought the Iris parts were mostly made just to cater to Apple.

So, is the tl;dr of this that now that AMD is poised to catch up to Intel on CPU, Intel is about to catch up to AMD on integrated graphics?

Also, F math.

I thought the Iris parts were mostly made just to cater to Apple.

So, is the tl;dr of this that now that AMD is poised to catch up to Intel on CPU, Intel is about to catch up to AMD on integrated graphics?

Also, F math.

Intel may catch up, fall short, or exceed AMD in integrated graphics- and will probably fall behind in CPU. By the time this stuff is out, AMD will have an updated CPU arch, and Intel will have updated CPU and GPU archs.

So, from what I have heard/read they are going to use the Iris branding on most/all of the iGPU product line, NOT just the upper end parts with eDRAM. The 940 tested is a "GT2" part, and so far the eDRAM parts have been GT3 or GT4.

Back