Intel G2's are in at Newegg (2:30 PST) (DEAD)

Newegg did what ZipZoomFly did during their 20% Cashback promotion, raised the prices.

Yesterday around 3:40 MT, Newegg had the 80GB G2 for $230 + shipping (~$5). I had it added to my cart and within a minute is sold out. I kept checking and it was still showed "Sold Out". However, the price gradually raised hour after hour. So when it came back in stock today, it was going for $249 + shipping.

Anyways, I bought one and with the 10% cashback, that should bring it down to ~$230.

i bet next summer will be the big migration to SSD for operating system drives for many people... i see prices starting to plummet over the next two years...

Still too much IMO, but I am watching as the prices come down.

I am not against spending more for the speed, but it is a bit outrageous still.

What do you guys need such fast hard drives for, I've never heard of a hard drive bottle necking games, lol. A 1TB 7200RPM hard drive is just fine for gaming, and will last you for years...and cost you $65. You guys use SSDs for servers or something? I thought the advantage of SSDs is that they are more suitable for laptops.

No Trim support which means write performance will decline as the drive fills

Wrong (you'll see some degradation over time as it is written/re-written to, but Intel's wear leveling is good), and TRIM is coming for these drives in any case.

What do you guys need such fast hard drives for, I've never heard of a hard drive bottle necking games, lol. A 1TB 7200RPM hard drive is just fine for gaming, and will last you for years...and cost you $65. You guys use SSDs for servers or something? I thought the advantage of SSDs is that they are more suitable for laptops.

It basically makes everything on the PC load like it's in RAM ;). Also, it eliminates all load stuttering during games and of course makes levels/zones/etc. load in a snap relative to a hard drive.

Spinners = Gas engines
SSD = Electric

The former needs time to reach power, the latter is an instantaneous burst of it. So to speak.

Never heard of a HD "bottleneck" a game? You must be mentally slow and incapable if you don't notice choppiness when a map loads or 'something' loads in-game esp. in FPS. Not to mention hard drives are the most ancient and underdeveloped components in a computer, making them simply THE bottleneck of a computer (go load a crap of shit, whatever it maybe 100 word documents, videos whatever using a spinner, then watch some youtube vids of the same with a SSD). By your definition, we wouldn't require anything new since everything older than new would suffice.

Last edited:
try playing a mmo with one - you will never go back - my sg on CO is like "how do you load in so fast...."

prices are pretty good if you can find a deal, I got a super talent 64 GB ultradrive me and a 1 tb seagate in a combo deal with super/ewiz + bing cash back - got both for 178 after all was said and done.

Wow, very hot deal.

Thanks OP!!~

Thanks? Did you get one? If not, there's not much use thanking him for a deal that's now dead, lol. Even if they were in stock, it's not even really that hot IMO when Newegg's price is now $50 over what it was initially. But I guess the frenzy is so great that these being in stock anywhere for $280 is a [H]ot Deal...meh. If the price doesn't come back down I'd likely say "F Newegg" and pick up a 128GB Indilinx drive for a bit over $300 and have 40GB more space.

Spinners = Gas engines
SSD = Electric

The former needs time to reach power, the latter is an instantaneous burst of it. So to speak.

Never heard of a HD "bottleneck" a game? You must be mentally slow and incapable if you don't notice choppiness when a map loads or 'something' loads in-game esp. in FPS. Not to mention hard drives are the most ancient and underdeveloped components in a computer, making them simply THE bottleneck of a computer (go load a crap of shit, whatever it maybe 100 word documents, videos whatever using a spinner, then watch some youtube vids of the same with a SSD). By your definition, we wouldn't require anything new since everything older than new would suffice.

Nope, never had slow down issues due to a hard drive. I guess I just know how to build a good pc with a reliable 7200rpm HD.

So you are really going to try to argue that an SSD is some how going to up gaming performance? That's ridiculous....and even if that were some how true, we would probably of seen some [H] reviews that compares fps in games from an SSD drive to a regular 7200rpm hard drive. They don't because you are going to get the same fps with either drive.

I don't doubt some benefits of SSD drives, like faster access or loading times, light weight, more durable, etc. which is why they are really more suitable for laptops, but that certainly isn't going to translate into smoother gameplay...not in the least.

I'll probably snatch a couple of SSD drives once they come down in price...say a 1000GB SSD drive for $80 sounds reasonable to me.

Nope, never had slow down issues due to a hard drive. I guess I just know how to build a good pc with a reliable 7200rpm HD.

So you are really going to try to argue that an SSD is some how going to up gaming performance? That's ridiculous....and even if that were some how true, we would probably of seen some [H] reviews that compares fps in games from an SSD drive to a regular 7200rpm hard drive. They don't because you are going to get the same fps with either drive.

I don't doubt some benefits of SSD drives, like faster access or loading times, light weight, more durable, etc. which is why they are really more suitable for laptops, but that certainly isn't going to translate into smoother gameplay...not in the least.

I'll probably snatch a couple of SSD drives once they come down in price...say a 1000GB SSD drive for $80 sounds reasonable to me.

1 gig SSD for 80$ may be in a decade?

I don't think an SSD will give you more FPS, but it should make for faster level loads and theoretically could make for smoother gameplay in games that continually stream large textures into the game. Especially when multitasking. It's not uncommon for me to load up a game while I've got 8-10 torrents downloading and other programs open which may access the disk while I'm gaming. If you have a nice, fast hard drive and you launch a game from a fresh desktop, your hard drive is going to be able to devote most of its IOPS to that game as needed. But if it's trying to do other things at the same time, and your open-world game is trying to access large texture files from the hard drive then I could see how one might encounter some stutter as large files are loaded into RAM & GPU memory. A fast SSD might be able to lessen or eliminate that stutter, as it'll be able to dish out as much data as the system needs.

Now, this is all just theory and obviously it's going to depend on the bottlenecks in your rig (which, on a fast modern system might very well be a rotating hard drive). I would bet there are scenarios where even a VelociRaptor might encounter some stutter if it's trying to do too much or if there is a huge burst of game data that it can't keep up with. The final thing to consider is, even if an SSD would reduce or eliminate stutter, is the stutter such a problem for you that you would shell out the money for an SSD in order to alleviate the issue? It sounds like the answer for you would be a "no" since you clearly don't think they benefit desktop systems very much. For me the answer would be a resounding "yes" since I tend to want my system to run as well as possible and don't want my hard drive being the glaring bottleneck that limits the performance of the other toys I've chosen to equip my system with.

My system gets a Windows Experience Index of 7.2+ in every area but one. Guess which one that is? Yep. Even with a VR my HDD score is only a 5.9. The other components earn me a 7.2-7.6. I wouldn't classify my system as slow by any means, but even without those silly subscores I do feel that the hard drive is my bottleneck at this point and clearly WEI agrees that it's the one area that could use the most improvement. I really need to get off of the forums and install my Vertex. :D

I don't think an SSD will give you more FPS, but it should make for faster level loads and theoretically could make for smoother gameplay in games that continually stream large textures into the game.

There might be some half-truth to this but it's not going to totally eliminate loading time...just making it a bit faster...

You will still get a pause for loading...and you will still get the windows loading screen. I guess what it really boils down to is spending a couple of hundred more dollars waiting 5-10 seconds more on windows loading...or where a game needs to load between levels. As far as the actual game becoming smoother...there is no data that supports an SSD drive is going to make games faster or smoother than your $60 1TB 7200RPM hard drive with 32mb cache.

I'm sure in a year I could pick a 500GB SSD drive for $60 though. So I'll just wait it out. SSD Drives are like HD Televisions when they first came out...way too expensive.

You will still get a pause for loading...and you will still get the windows loading screen. I guess what it really boils down to is spending a couple of hundred more dollars waiting 5-10 seconds more on windows loading...or where a game needs to load between levels. As far as the actual game becoming smoother...there is no data that supports an SSD drive is going to make games faster or smoother than your $60 1TB 7200RPM hard drive with 32mb cache.

I'm sure in a year I could pick a 500GB SSD drive for $60 though. So I'll just wait it out. SSD Drives are like HD Televisions when they first came out...way too expensive.

I think the loading time for windows xp was reduced by almost a minute vs a 7200rpm drive but whatever. This is not like the speed increase you get going from a 5400rpm to a 7200rpm drive. It's kinda like going from a 5400rpm to 2x15k rpm drives in raid 0.

As for cost you'll probably be able to pick up a 160GB ssd for $200 in about a year... it's going to take a bit to get the manufacturing momentum going.

FPS are overrated anyways.

A faster disk makes disk operations faster (duh). End of story really.

I love my Raptor X and can tell the difference vs. a normal hard drive just in everyday use, things load quicker, folder browsing is quicker, etc. I like the snappiness. If you dont, great.

I like the snappiness as well, just not willing to pay a couple of benjamins more for it. Also I need more hard drive space, at least 300gb or so to cover an OS, games, media, HD Video, etc. Would rather wait for the price to go down considerably and for these SSDs to get larger...basically I like them just not willing to pay the premium for it. As I said, I'll buy my 500gb SSD hard drive after a year's time for $60.

I got an email alert from newegg. When I checked they were all snatched up the next day and the price was $249. LOL. Demand outstrips supply right now. No wonder they pumped the price up to $279!! sheesh!

Last edited:
I like the snappiness as well, just not willing to pay a couple of benjamins more for it. Also I need more hard drive space, at least 300gb or so to cover an OS, games, media, HD Video, etc. Would rather wait for the price to go down considerably and for these SSDs to get larger...basically I like them just not willing to pay the premium for it. As I said, I'll buy my 500gb SSD hard drive after a year's time for $60.

You don't store "media" or HD video on an SSD :rolleyes:. You gain no advantage from doing that... load up your OS and the main games (or all depending on SSD size) you play and enjoy RAM-like speeds ;). Good luck on a 500gb SSD in a year for $60 friend. It's OK to not know everything, but there's no need to pretend you do.

You don't store "media" or HD video on an SSD :rolleyes:. You gain no advantage from doing that... load up your OS and the main games (or all depending on SSD size) you play and enjoy RAM-like speeds ;). Good luck on a 500gb SSD in a year for $60 friend. It's OK to not know everything, but there's no need to pretend you do.

he was saying earlier 1TB for 80$ SSD :confused:

Hard disks bottleneck everything, they are the absolute slowest component in most computers.

If you want to talk sequential read performance, gigabit ethernet can max out most 7200RPM hard disks, SSDs generally have no problem keeping up. The high sustained read speeds on SSDs will also lend to faster loading times in games.

Now, on the subject of access time, hard disks get their asses handed to them. A good 10,000 RPM drive might get down to between 8 and 15ms (longer if the drive happens to be spun down when you access it, up to around 2 seconds), while an SSD will do 0.1ms allt he time no matter what. The fast access time means faster overall system performance and responsiveness; it also helps to eliminate pauses and stuttering in modern games which constantly stream resources from disk.

OOS and they bumped the price to $280... nuts to that.

Yeah they do that a lot. Anytime there's high demand, their system must automatically start raising the price along some sort of formula they have set. It's a good business practice but it sure rubs customers the wrong way. ;)

i picked one up at 249....with bing cashback it wasn't so bad, still the intro price of $225 shipped actually. Hopefully you all remembered this.

Yeah they do that a lot. Anytime there's high demand, their system must automatically start raising the price along some sort of formula they have set. It's a good business practice but it sure rubs customers the wrong way. ;)

It's the other way around, as they run out of supply they increase the price to curb demand.

Back