Intel equivalent of Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H

xhalex

n00b
I'm thinking of putting together an HTPC for my bedroom, and I wouldn't mind going AMD, but I've a spare E6750 sitting around. Would be nice if it were mATX but it doesn't have to be. thanks for any help...

What exactly do you like about the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H that you want in an Intel mobo?

I'm thinking of putting together an HTPC for my bedroom, and I wouldn't mind going AMD, but I've a spare E6750 sitting around. Would be nice if it were mATX but it doesn't have to be. thanks for any help...

There is none. If you're going Intel you need to get a video card because all of the IGP options are piss poor.

Minor correction. Hope you don't mind.
Thanks, was also talking to two different people and totally missed that.
Cheapest intel that meets your other needs.
Yeah, get a solid board that meets your needs.
And get a second hand 2400 or 8400 ?
But no, the 2x00 HD series are god awful. Hell, the 2600 struggles to playback regular DVDs and the 8400 is only good for getting away from intergrated graphics (nothing much beyond that*).

Either get a 3450 or an 8500GT, I think Vader is still selling his Gigabyte 8500GT, I've got the same model card he does in my HTPC and I love it.

* The newer PCIe 2.0 8400GS is different and very HTPC friendly. It has a newer, Purevideo 3, video engine that offloads Hidef DVD and regular DVDs 100% to the GPU like ATI's 3000 series cards. It's very nice but it's a PITA to track one down. It'll list PCIe 2.0 and a higher clock speed (old 8400 was something like 4xx mhz, the newer one if something like 500 or 600 mhz).

Or ebay the E6750 to completely finance the GA-MA78GM-S2H and amd cpu. Otherwise if you go intel you'll end up dishing out extra for a motherboard and graphics card.

Thanks for the replies...it seems that this board and a cpu can be had for under 2 bills, all I would need is a case. I have hard drives, dvd burners, memory, etc. I've read the integrated graphics are not too shabby.

Or ebay the E6750 to completely finance the GA-MA78GM-S2H and amd cpu. Otherwise if you go intel you'll end up dishing out extra for a motherboard and graphics card.

I may end up selling the 6750 anyways, it would go a ways toward my build.

If you're going Intel you need to get a video card because all of the Intel IGP options are piss poor.

Depends what your using it for. My motherboard (Intel G31) was quite capable of displaying 720p resolution to my projector and HDTV without any issues, i used it like this until i eventually got some bluray movies and had to purchase a dedicated card to get the GPU acceleration for them films. During this time it was rock solid and never gave me any problems.

If i was only playing DVDs/DVD quality rips/720p movies, i would have never have bothered using a dedicated card at all.

I may end up selling the 6750 anyways, it would go a ways toward my build.
Wasn't sure if i was clear in my original post, but if you went with the AMD 780G based setup you wouldn't need to buy a graphics card in the near future. That's extra dough to buy other goodies such as additional hard drive space etc etc. But if you're set on intel then that nvidia 8400GS 2.0 card Crim referred to looks interesting.

* The newer PCIe 2.0 8400GS is different and very HTPC friendly. It has a newer, Purevideo 3, video engine that offloads Hidef DVD and regular DVDs 100% to the GPU like ATI's 3000 series cards. It's very nice but it's a PITA to track one down. It'll list PCIe 2.0 and a higher clock speed (old 8400 was something like 4xx mhz, the newer one if something like 500 or 600 mhz).
Crim, is this the the newer one you're referring to? (looks like it to me): http://www.xpcgear.com/en8400gsslnt5.html

Not sure, it might be but pcie 1.0 is compatible with pcie 2.0 and vice verse. Hopefully it'll say somewhere on the box or their site if it uses the newer G98 core

Wasn't sure if i was clear in my original post, but if you went with the AMD 780G based setup you wouldn't need to buy a graphics card in the near future. That's extra dough to buy other goodies such as additional hard drive space etc etc. But if you're set on intel then that nvidia 8400GS 2.0 card Crim referred to looks interesting.

No, I heard ya :) I know I could get away with just the board and cpu, low $ for sure...That 8400GS looks interesting too, more than likely for some other build, not this one :cool:

Back