intel dual Core 2 Extreme QX9xxx

I am dissapointed in the skulltrail system for the reason that it only supports dual sli, not tri or quad... and the price point is pretty staggering. Lack of adequate memory slots are also dissapointing, and that it has to be FBDIMM (not that FBDIMM is bad, but adds to the cost)

I am dissapointed in the skulltrail system for the reason that it only supports dual sli, not tri or quad... and the price point is pretty staggering. Lack of adequate memory slots are also dissapointing, and that it has to be FBDIMM (not that FBDIMM is bad, but adds to the cost)
only 4 FBDIMM slots

You are incorrect. The D5400XS does indeed support Quad-SLI. Quad-SLI is defined as two GPUs on one card. Two of those equal Quad-SLI which the D5400XS indeed supports. 3-Way SLI is the only SLI configuration not supported. NVIDIA themselves do not support 4-Way SLI so that hardly is a ding against Skulltrail. As for the price point, I agree. As for the memory configuration I can't. I don't like FB-DIMMs either, but I think 4 DIMM slots is good enough. The board supports up to 16GB of memory according to Intel. That is enough for workstation use and certainly enough for gaming.

BTW there is no QX9xxx series of processors that are compatible with the D5400XS. There is only the QX9775 at present in socket LGA771. All other QX9xxx processors are LGA775.

You are incorrect. The D5400XS does indeed support Quad-SLI. Quad-SLI is defined as two GPUs on one card. Two of those equal Quad-SLI which the D5400XS indeed supports. 3-Way SLI is the only SLI configuration not supported. NVIDIA themselves do not support 4-Way SLI so that hardly is a ding against Skulltrail. As for the price point, I agree. As for the memory configuration I can't. I don't like FB-DIMMs either, but I think 4 DIMM slots is good enough. The board supports up to 16GB of memory according to Intel. That is enough for workstation use and certainly enough for gaming.

BTW there is no QX9xxx series of processors that are compatible with the D5400XS. There is only the QX9775 at present in socket LGA771. All other QX9xxx processors are LGA775.

I was not assuming the GX2's when picturing quad sli. The least they could have done was tri sli... that would have sold it for me.

I was not assuming the GX2's when picturing quad sli. The least they could have done was tri sli... that would have sold it for me.

You are thinking of 4-Way SLI which NVIDIA does not currently support. Quad-SLI is and always has been two 7950GX2's and going forward the 9800GX2 will be Quad-SLI capable.

I would have liked to see 3-Way SLI on the D5400XS as well. Actually I tried setting it up and when it wouldn't work, we contacted Intel on the matter. Intel then let us know that NVIDIA said it wouldn't work. NVIDIA blames the use of the nForce 100 MCPs integrated into the D5400XS motherboard as not being able to support 3-Way SLI.

Perhaps in a future version of the board? Admittedly, it is a bit of a disappointment, but Quad-SLI should be more than sufficient for almost everyone.

Perhaps in a future version of the board? Admittedly, it is a bit of a disappointment, but Quad-SLI should be more than sufficient for almost everyone.

Well find out when the 9800GX2 comes out. However the 7950GX2 scaled very poorly in Quad-SLI. In fact it was the worst scaling SLI has ever seen.

Back