Intel Drops PCIe 4.0 support for Comet Lake

toast0

Gawd
Not that it would matter to 99.999999% of people in the wild.
Doesn't the Radeon 5500 perform better with pci-e 4? Maybe only 99.9999% of people it won't matter for. I'm not sure there's that many people willing to spend for the latest chipset and the latest low end GPU, but there's gotta be a few.

Ricky T

Limp Gawd
Doesn't the Radeon 5500 perform better with pci-e 4? Maybe only 99.9999% of people it won't matter for. I'm not sure there's that many people willing to spend for the latest chipset and the latest low end GPU, but there's gotta be a few.
It only performs better on pcie 4.0 when it runs out of vram because of AMD's asinine decision to make it only an electrically x8 card instead of x16.

M76

[H]F Junkie
It only performs better on pcie 4.0 when it runs out of vram because of AMD's asinine decision to make it only an electrically x8 card instead of x16.
If a game runs out of VRAM it will be unplayable either way, it might show a huge improvement in benchmarks but that won't translate into actual playability.

Mega6

2[H]4U
If a game runs out of VRAM it will be unplayable either way, it might show a huge improvement in benchmarks but that won't translate into actual playability.

From the referenced article ..

"When the VRAM buffer gets filled up, the extra data is then forced to use the system memory to transfer data to and forth the PCIe bus, which is noticeably slower than the included VRAM on the graphics card."

blandead

Limp Gawd
I wonder if ampere will be pcie4 or if they will somehow pass pcie5 specifications

Derangel

Fully [H]
I wonder if ampere will be pcie4 or if they will somehow pass pcie5 specifications
Wouldn't be surprised if it's still 3. We're still a few years away from even top end cards saturating x8 Gen 3 slots, much less x16.

IdiotInCharge

[H]F Junkie
PCIe 5.0 is doubtful -- there's nothing to plug it into.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's still 3. We're still a few years away from even top end cards saturating x8 Gen 3 slots, much less x16.
While they may dial it back for consumer releases, it'd be extremely surprising if Nvidia didn't have PCIe 4.0 validated for their enterprise releases.

power666

Weaksauce
What AMD should be doing is going beyond PCie 4.0 and enabling a full 25 GT/s Infinity Fabric link to certain slots when pairing an AMD CPU and an AMD GPU. Not only there be a nice bandwidth increase but also coherency with a flat memory space between the two device. This is why AMD was hyping up local GPU memory recently as a high speed cache. Thing didn't exactly pan out as well as they had hoped (it did provide marginal improvements in some titles). Really there is a bit of missed opportunity as certain hardware pairings could support this today apparently.