Intel Discontinues Flawed Keyboard App

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Security Week is reporting that Intel is discontinuing the Intel Remote Keyboard app due to critical security flaws. The app was released in 2015 on Android and iOS, the Android version has been downloaded over 500,000 times, and was used to wirelessly control the Intel NUC and Compute Stick. Intel announced that the app is affected by 3 "Escalation of privilege" flaws, the worst being marked Critical allows a network attacker to inject keystrokes as a local user.

While "Escalation of privilege" sounds like something you would get banned for on Tumblr, it is a shame that Intel isn't even going to bother fixing these flaws and just scrapped the app instead.

Intel does not plan on releasing patches for these vulnerabilities. The company has decided to discontinue the product and advised users to uninstall the apps at their earliest convenience. Intel Remote Keyboard has been removed from both Google Play and the Apple App Store.

Well at least they are doing something. Not having a smart phone I have no idea how useful these remote aps really are, but it makes me wonder how many others are security threats and if they are worth it. Ah for the time when things used to include a dedicated remote (and no I'm not going to look at the pile of useless remotes in the back of the drawer that I can't seem to part with...just in case).

I am a bit surprised anyone would consider using a smart phone for a remote control device.

how about they discontinue their flawed CPU's instead

They are computers that access the internet using the same protocols a desktop computer does.

And I would never use my desktop for a remote control device either. Anyone thinking they have a secure smart phone is fooling themselves.

And I would never use my desktop for a remote control device either. Anyone thinking they have a secure smart phone is fooling themselves.

Youu have never used your keyboard to pause...or your mouse to skip ahead on a video?

Color me impressed.

I am a bit surprised anyone would consider using a smart phone for a remote control device.

Back in the Windows 7 days I used one a few times with my media center PC. Had a Lenovo wireless keyboard / trackball presentation doohicky.

sku_35909_1.jpg

Just like every other TV remote it got lost. So in those occasions where my incompetence at finding lost things was greater than the time I had to watch a show, I used the Logitech wifi keyboard /TouchPad app on my IPhone 3gs.

It was VERY tedious. The size screen those things had were about the width of both of my thumbs in portrait orientation.

Just like my hard drives my input devices are redundant.

Now a days that's hardware redundancy not bullshit software workarounds...

Back