cageymaru

Fully [H]
Intel has released video of an I/O test demo showcasing its advanced 10nm FinFet process powering the Intel 112G PAM-4 transceiver. The 112 Gbps serial transceiver links will support the demanding bandwidth requirements of future data center, enterprise, and networking environments. The new 112G PAM-4 transceiver is twice as fast as the current Intel Stratix 10 FPGAs as they only deliver 58 Gbps performance. The 112G PAM-4 transceiver technology will be incorporated into Intel's next-generation FPGA family codenamed "Falcon Mesa." This bandwidth increase will be vital for next-generation optical transport networks, network function virtualization, enterprise networking, and cloud service providers.

Intel's next-generation of FPGAs will use Intel's own 10-nanometer (10nm) chip-manufacturing process technology - an advanced FinFET process. Known today by the codename "Falcon Mesa," these FPGAs products will target the acceleration and compute needs in data center, wireless 5G, Network Function Virtualization (NFV), automotive, industrial, and military/aerospace applications.

Thanks, I guess, to Intel for reminding us that they're still working on 10nm.

Does anyone know if this is their New Delhi facility in India?

Reactions: ecktt
like this
A bit late as Falcon Mesa was supposed to ship a year ago. It is the Cannon Lake of the FPGA world.

200G Ethernet includes 400GbE network connectivity for high availability features and flexible port configurations including 4x100GbE and 2x200GbE, eliminating throughput bottlenecks for data-intensive applications

last time i checked 200 and 400 were both greater than 112.

200G Ethernet includes 400GbE network connectivity for high availability features and flexible port configurations including 4x100GbE and 2x200GbE, eliminating throughput bottlenecks for data-intensive applications

last time i checked 200 and 400 were both greater than 112.

Sigh. Read the articles. 200gb Ethernet is like 40gb (and 100gb) Ethernet in that it is 4 channels. A 40gb QSFP is not a single serial link and laser, it is 4 of them (the Q in QSFP is "quad"). That's how we got more more bandwidth without being able to increase link speed. 100gb Ethernet is the same, link speed was increased to 25gb meaning you can get 25gb out of a single SFP or 100gb out of a QSFP. This tech is continuing that with 50gb and higher speeds. Increase the speed of a single link, allowing for more bandwidth in a given channel and use links together when more is needed. What Broadcom is talking about is a card that has 50gb serial lines, with 2x QSFP ports giving 2x200gb Ethernet connections. That's cool and a great speed increase (doubles what you can get right now) but it is not 400gb/line.

Back