Intel Delays Broadwell Until Next Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel's CEO, speaking during an earnings call earlier today, says production on Broadwell chips has been moved to the first quarter of 2014.

The delay has been caused by a "defect density issue" that impacts the yields, or number of usable chips, Krzanich said. He noted that once defects are discovered, Intel inserts a set of fixes. In the case of Broadwell, the fixes didn't deliver all the improvements Intel had anticipated. However, Intel now believes it has all the required fixes in place, Krzanich said.

"We have confidence the problem is fixed because we have data it is fixed," Krzanich said. "This happens sometimes in development phases like this. That's why we moved it a quarter."

Although I am thinking about when the chips will be available for sale. Production has to start weeks before that..

Is socket 1155 a dead socket? If so I better unload this MSI Z77-GD65. If not then maybe I'll wait and build another gaming rig.

Is socket 1155 a dead socket? If so I better unload this MSI Z77-GD65. If not then maybe I'll wait and build another gaming rig.

Socket 1155 has been dead for a good while.

Socket 2011 (SB/IB) is going to be dead come next summer 2014 when Haswell-E is released.

Probably best to move to 1150 now and get a really good Z87 board at the same time.

That, and I believe Broadwell is embedded/mobile and laptop at the moment hence it's going to be BGA-only.

If not moving to Socket 2011 Haswell-E, Skylake is probably the next architecture after that for those wanting to upgrade from Haswell (1150). It "might" still be socket 1150, but TOO EARLY to say.

If Intel were to release Broadwell to desktop, it will NOT be on Socket 1155. It will be on Intels 9 series chipset that will offer support for both haswell refresh and broadwell, excluding current haswell chips however.

so if you intention is to wait for the next architechture "broadwell" then keeping your MSI Z77-GD65, Or the Z87-GD65 LGA 1150 board your sig suggests you have, will do you no good in the future.

Every Intel socket after S775 has a lifespan of 2 to 3 years :

S1366 - Q4/2008 till Q4/2011.
S1156 - Q3/2009 till Q1/2011.
S1155 - Q1/2011 till Q2/2013.

S2011 - Q4/2011 till probably Q4/2014.
And you can expect S1150 leaving sometime in Q2/2015.

For some reason I though Broadwell was slated for next summer, maybe the last 2 years of Intel chips coming out in late spring brainwashed me.

Call me when they actually improve CPU performance because otherwise I'm getting bored of Intel product launches that only improve power usage for Ultrabooks and feature slightly less horrible integrated graphics.

Is DDR4 Broadwell or Skylake?

From all I've read so far, Broadwell is still DDR3 and BGA-only.

Skylake will be the first Intel processor for wide availability of DDR4. Haswell-E is based on the Haswell Xeons, so it's "unofficially" the first consumer processor with DDR4 support (for enthusiasts).

I think PCI-E 4.0 is coming to Skylake first as well. (Haswell-E is still PCI-E 3.0 I believe.)

So, if you're not going to jump to Haswell or Haswell-E, you have quite a long ways to wait until Skylake, and I believe that's 2015 or 2016 when that processor is released.

And that's why I just big the bullet and am refreshing all my SBs. Too long to wait, lol.
Not to mention Z87 boards rock.

Yeah, BGA only :rolleyes:

from the leaked updated data sheet, months ago (loud whisper: BDW is Broadwell and "Broadwell LGA processor" is a LGA1150 model, same socket as Haswell):

bpGrAAW.png

3zGD9Sf.png

Delay? Hmm. I must have missed the rumor that put production in 2013.
Intel mentioned that a few weeks ago.

And that's why I just big the bullet and am refreshing all my SBs. Too long to wait, lol.
Not to mention Z87 boards rock.

Yeah, that makes better sense than waiting. Given the software performance difference between SB-to-IVB then IVB-to-Haswell, an SB/IVB will still be as good as Haswell for the next few years anyway.

Yeah, that makes better sense than waiting. Given the software performance difference between SB-to-IVB then IVB-to-Haswell, an SB/IVB will still be as good as Haswell for the next few years anyway.

Just curious, how is that so considering you're looking at 10-15% difference clock for clock?

I still don't see a reason to upgrade from my overclocked i7 920...? How much performance boost would Haswell really be?

Doubt you would notice much if anything besides a lighter wallet. If you are bored, you could sell your 920 on ebay and pick up a six core xeon L5639 cheap...

Just curious, how is that so considering you're looking at 10-15% difference clock for clock?

Haswell has about a 15% improvement clock for clock over Sandy. However, Sandy also overall clocks higher when overclocking. Sure, every chip is different and you just might end up with a killer Haswell chip, but looking at the average if you are an overclocker then you can offset about 7-10% of that clock for clock gain in extra GHz. A 5-8% upgrade in real speed isn't a huge upgrade.

Haswell has about a 15% improvement clock for clock over Sandy. However, Sandy also overall clocks higher when overclocking. Sure, every chip is different and you just might end up with a killer Haswell chip, but looking at the average if you are an overclocker then you can offset about 7-10% of that clock for clock gain in extra GHz. A 5-8% upgrade in real speed isn't a huge upgrade.
Agreed. Like I'm ever going to get Haswell to 5GHz.

I'm a sad panda. I want to upgrade from my 2500k to an ITX build but it just isn't worth it yet.

Told you guys this months ago....

I do not think we will see a die shrink to Haswell in a desktop socketed processor form.

Tocks will be socket/soc, Ticks will be SOC only. So Haswell will be Socket/SOC, Broadwell will be SOC only, Skylake will be Socket/SOC.

Makes sense as the focus on ticks is for mobile improvements overall and the desktop does not benefit that much now from ticks. I think Intel was disappointed with Ivy Bridge desktop sales. The CPU hardware is far ahead of the software on the desktop.

Fact or Rumor? As of a couple months ago Intel had not made a final decision, but what is outlined above seems to be the direction it was going. I am not sure of where that decision is today. We will likely know more after CES time frame.

Socket 2011 will remain for Haswell-E. X79 will be dead.

I should have clarified-- Socket 2011 for SB-E/IVB-E is dead by next summer.

Socket 2011 for Haswell-E will replace it, and is not backwards compatible with Socket 2011 SB-E/IVB-E. And, that has been known for a long while.

Same number of pins, but different layout and arrangement. So, technically, it is dead per se.

And, thank you, Kyle, for the clarification.

I still don't see a reason to upgrade from my overclocked i7 920...? How much performance boost would Haswell really be?

I'm still sitting on an i7 860 OC'ed to 3.8 ghz. If you'd told me when I built this system that I'd still feel no need to upgrade over three years on, I wouldn't have believed it. I've almost started a new build several times just because it feels strange to go so long on the same system. It's not something you could have done with any comfort in years past. It's mainly because of the advancements of hardware components outside of the CPU itself that I will most likely upgrade before the year is out.

SB was a significant upgrade from Nehalem/Westmere. The motherboards alone...

It is a sad time to be a PC enthusiast... 2-3 year old CPUs are still good enough.. 2 year old GPUs are still good enough.. god damn it :(

Broadwell will NOT be BGA only, Intel already released a press release on that. Intel is commited to the socket enthusiest market for the forseeable future they said.

Broadwell will NOT be BGA only, Intel already released a press release on that. Intel is commited to the socket enthusiest market for the forseeable future they said.

Actually, it is something inbetween. Broadwell is going to be BGA only, at same time Intel is not leaving LGA.- we will get "Haswell refresh" for LGA, not Broadwell.

It is a sad time to be a PC enthusiast... 2-3 year old CPUs are still good enough.. 2 year old GPUs are still good enough.. god damn it :(

It leaves me more money for my other hobbies...or to buy software to run on my hardware. To me it's actually a pretty great time. Lots of slightly older used hardware for relatively cheap that can be used for lots of side projects that aren't the main PC.

Listen to Kyle guys.

Haswell Refresh then Skylake on desktop
Broadwell mobile only
lol, why? He's just regurgitating Charlie's incorrect rumor which has since been debunked by both Intel's statements and data sheet leaks (see pictures I posted above) since.

That depends on what you're doing. Haswell has both IPC improvements and new vector instructions, and in certain cases gains can be moderate.

I'm still sitting on an i7 860 OC'ed to 3.8 ghz. If you'd told me when I built this system that I'd still feel no need to upgrade over three years on, I wouldn't have believed it. I've almost started a new build several times just because it feels strange to go so long on the same system. It's not something you could have done with any comfort in years past. It's mainly because of the advancements of hardware components outside of the CPU itself that I will most likely upgrade before the year is out.

Yeah, same feeling here. I think really the first i7 series was just a really solid leap forward in tech, and it hasn't really been significantly de-throned even in 3+ years.

Back