Intel Delays 10nm Cannon Lake Processors Again

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by DooKey, Apr 27, 2018.

1. DooKey

DooKey [H]ardness Supreme

Intel has announced they are not going to ship 10nm processors in high volume this year. This move seems to confirm rumors that their 10nm process still isn't up to steam and they need more time to get things right. While I'm all for getting things right I'm also impatient to get my new shiny 10nm processors and I wish Intel would get their act together sooner than later. They better hurry up before their competitors release next generation process processors. You can read the earnings report here.

Intel is on solid footing, in other words, though pesky challenges remain in manufacturing its next-generation 10nm parts. Krzanich acknowledged as much during an earnings call, attributing the delay to difficulties in getting 10nm yields to where they need to be. So rather than push to ship 10nm in volume this year, Intel is giving itself some additional time to sort things out.

Stryker7314 likes this.
  2. bobdabilder

bobdabilder Limp Gawd

Who cares? Now get off my lawn!

3. WhoMe

WhoMe Gawd

So we will get more marketing crap like 10nm class processors or 10nm like performance in the meantime.

4. Seventyfive

Seventyfive [H]ard|Gawd

Why do I read this as "AMD isn't taking the market share we were worried about so we're going to push this out just like what NVDA is doing on the graphics card side"

griff30 likes this.
  5. Interesting they don't bring up consumer market.

I wonder how much of this revenue is because server markets beefing up due to spectre/meltdown?

I have never seen these kind of number increases out of intel before. So something is suspect.

naib and Darth Kyrie like this.
  6. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

Which will come first? Intel 10nm desktop CPU's, or AMD 7nm desktop CPU's? Anyone want to wager?

7. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah Intel wants you to believe engineering new stuff and processes is difficult, when in reality those guys have just been playing golf for the last 15 years. Now if the AMD engineers could just leave the hookers and blow alone for one weekend we'd have 200% IPC gains by summer.

8. the_real_7

the_real_7 [H]ard|Gawd

Until Intel complete redesigns the chip , Cannon lake is no better than any Intel chip before it because of the specter and meltdown fixes will bring a performance penalty. Ill be riding out my chip for a long run this time

Revdarian and Stryker7314 like this.
  9. Seventyfive

Seventyfive [H]ard|Gawd

Am I the only one that read the article?

10. viper1152012

viper1152012 [H]ard|Gawd

So same old 14nm..... My old broadwell is happy.

11. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak [H]ard|Gawd

Are you arguing against my point, or your own? The article is also more than the two sentence excerpt in the OP.
    By your logic, the reason Tesla is having Model 3 "production issues" is due to no competition in the EV market.

Revdarian, auntjemima and Darth Kyrie like this.
  12. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

No shit? Isn't this like the upteenth time now? This kinda makes sense why they are bring the God of making shit happen, Jim Keller in.

86 5.0L, Darth Kyrie and rgMekanic like this.
  13. SighTurtle

SighTurtle [H]ard|Gawd

Face saving talk. Read this article. Intel was supposed to ship 10nm in 2016, it's 2018 now, with Intel forced to delay, delay, over and over with no end in sight. Intel just hired Jim Keller, and restructured their manufacturing division not because everything is fine and dandy, but cause Intel completely fucked up and needs to start "gluing" chips together to make up for yields.

Meanwhile, TSMC is set to begin volume 7nm (equivalent somewhat to 10nm) production. Remember, Intel likes to boast their foundry tech is ahead of everyone else, well that's looking less and less true.

If Intel can't get 10nm by the time AMD starts running 7nm Zen 2 at GlobalFoundries, it will be bloody for Intel.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Talyrius, Revdarian, N4CR and 4 others like this.
  14. KarsusTG

KarsusTG 2[H]4U

This is great for consumers. Intel needs it's nose bloodied and AMD needs the market share.

15. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

Replace Obi with Jim.

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  16. Seventyfive

Seventyfive [H]ard|Gawd

I appreciate the anandtech article, it definitely paints a different picture than the PCGamer article. Is GlobalFoundries able to do 7nm CPU yet? If I remember, GF has an exclusive supply arrangement with AMD for CPU's.

17. Derfman

Derfman [H]ard|Gawd

It's all fine and dandy to me. Haven't owned an AMD processor since the FX-53, held onto that till the Core 2 Quad dropped.

I'm loving what I'm seeing with the Zen+ releases this year. Waiting for the Threadripper 2 to drop which I believe is Q3. I intend to go with the lower core variant whenever it drops, I just want the quad channel RAM more than anything.

It's exciting times, just wish the Radeon end of things would give Nvidia a run for it's money.

18. SighTurtle

SighTurtle [H]ard|Gawd

Not yet, if my memory of recent news article is correct, so AMD may still be behind Intel if GF trips up again, but this is cutting it close. Current plans according to Anandtech have GF beginning production 2H 2018. As is, 10nm has been delayed for volume in 2019. As for the supply arrangement, I think it applies to all wafers, GPU or CPU. One particular note, AMD has the option to get wafers from other foundries in return for paying a fee to GF. Already, AMD has said they are making a Navi 7nm machine learning oriented GPU at TSMC thats in currently in sampling. But I think the vast majority of CPUs and GPUs will be GF. Console chips are made at TSMC through.

19. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

Well, shit. Meh, I'll probably be going to a Ryzen2 build next, anyway.

Saw steam. HL3 confirmed.

20. Stryker7314

Stryker7314 Limp Gawd

AMD will now easily take more market share with their 7nm processors. Taking all the server market share, also have thier APU's in intel cpu's now. AMD making quite the comeback, they will be king of the hill soon. AMD's 2700X already whooping the dogshit out of 8700k in multi-threaded applications. Lovin it.

Revdarian likes this.
  21. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak [H]ard|Gawd

Everybody better start buying Intel & Nvidia again then to keep up the competition. :p

Stryker7314 likes this.
  22. WhoMe

WhoMe Gawd

My money is on Motorola coming out with a 6nm version of the 68000 first...did I mention I'm betting with monopoly money that I won in a loot box?

jardows and Darth Kyrie like this.
  23. Stryker7314

Stryker7314 Limp Gawd

Be nice to see AMD take the pole position for a few years to bring intel and especially nvidia pricing back to earth.

24. hmz

hmz 2[H]4U

My 2500K just bought some time again.

25. trparky

trparky Gawd

I just upgraded to an 8700K, my God... it's like stepping into a Ferrari when coming from my old 3570K. I'm good for the next five years. Intel... take your time, I'm patient.

ZeroBarrier likes this.
  26. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Probably to have Keller take a look at them before they launch them.

27. gglenn

gglenn [H]Lite

I'm waiting for 14nm+++.

Stryker7314 likes this.
  28. ecktt

ecktt Limp Gawd

My understanding is that at about 10nm, quantum mechanics become a huge problem and to expect AMD to have similar issues with 7nm. Well, that's what the resident on his way to a PhD electrical engineer claims.
    The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that Intel just wants to release around the same time as Zen 2 to rain on their parade.
    There is also the hope they just might be working out meltdown and specta.

29. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

10nm seems like a pain, Nvidia also ditched it.

30. 86 5.0L

86 5.0L [H]ardness Supreme

+1, this is the guy that made Athlon64 and Zen

Even if AMD brings 7nm quickly(still in prototype stage I heard) and performs better than Intel 10nm. It won’t make a dent. This would be the Athlon/P4 debate all over again. Consumers are trained to equate “Intel” with “best”. It would take multiple consistent product cycles of beating Intel to get people to notice.

31. He could do that. But that likely isn't his role. That's like hiring an outside consultant to come in and say "here evaluate all our windows code"

What he will more than likely do is analyze various performance metrics and look for avenues to lower consumption or increase ipc or both. He'll recommend design strategies like how the pipeline will be set up as well as prediction algorithms.

I will say though Jim Keller is pretty much all that and a bag of chips given his history.

32. juanrga

juanrga Pro-Intel / Anti-AMD Just FYI

200% IPC gains if we ignore the laws of physics and the "IPC wall"

https://hardforum.com/threads/when-did-golden-age-of-computing-end.1931057/

Current chips aren't made by a single person but by a team. Moreover, he wasn't lead architect of the teams that made those you mention, the lead architects are

K8 --> Fred Weber

Zen --> Mike Clark

https://hardforum.com/threads/jim-keller-joins-intel.1959438/#post-1043602816

33. Neo_East

Neo_East n00b

Maybe internally, Intel has been directing its R&D at future Apple SoC foundry business over their own Crap Lake cores. Selling Apple modems and fabbing their iPhone/iPad/future Mac SoC is probably a bigger business than its x86 processors at this point. It's not like they've had to answer a challenge from AMD up until this point.

ecktt likes this.