Intel D875PBZ Onboard LAN or seperate NIC card?

towert7

2[H]4U
Hello all, im thinking of getting a new computer with a p4. This will be my first new computer in over 3 years.

I remember back then, hardly any mother boards had onboard lan, so a 3rd party NIC card was required.

But now it seems like most of the boards have onboard lan, some (such as the intel D875PBZ) even have onboard 1000mb LAN.

I read the review from [H]ard|OCP and they said the intel D875PBZ was'nt anything special, just a very stable mother board that was very simplistic and had an awsome onboard LAN. THey said it hardly used more then 5% CPU.

My question is, would it be worth using the onboard lan, or should i get say, a 3com (or other companie, linksys, intel, belkin) NIC card. As far as CPU utilization goes that is (and performance).

If so anyone have any recommendations?

~Thanks

the csa/82547el solution is one of the best. i would highly advise not to use any other and would say that it would be quite asinine to do. unless, you are trying to achieve a different networking model of usage (e.g. ics).

one note to remember: if you use the latest drivers rather than the ones provided by the oem (e.g. intel's d875pbz site). you should change the interrupt moderation setting to off for games.

Yea, other people reviewed the mother board and said it had good onboard LAN.

Also, what does "interrupt moderation" do?

Keep the onboard LAN. #1 It's free. #2 You aren't nailing a Gig-E card down to the PCI bus like you would be otherwise (if you were planning on using a Gig-E.) I guess the only real purpose for a PCI ethernet card is if you needed two NICs.

Back