Intel CSME bug is worse than previously thought

You could always bank on the idea that nobody is using intel processors for anything important and so they'll never be the target of any kind of attack using this vector.

for the general public, this is almost certainly going to exclusively be used to rip DRM content that uses this intel drm crap to "protect" av streams. It looks like a nice way to get at that juicy copyrighted material. That is, until they update their services to blacklist all intel systems from being trusted.

When I read that article, I was thinking the same thing. This is more about DRM circumvention than anything else.

"Researchers say a full patch requires replacing hardware."

Roflcopter.gif

Is there a list of CPUs or generations affected? Something more specific than "Most Intel chipsets released in the last five years contain the vulnerability in question."

But what is the clean point? Is it any CPU made 5 years from today or older are not vulnerable?

Strange how they make a big deal about this, but nothing about AMD's issues, when both require local access. I still have not found any info regarding mitigation from AMD either. It's a concern in both cases to me, local access not withstanding.

Back