Intel Core i9-9900K Processor Shortage Hits NewEgg and Amazon

I'm not interested in anything Intel these days... I'm really happy with my 2700X. Are any of you planning on buying the i9-9900K? I'm just wondering if the shortage is because there is a real demand or because they are having problems making them.

9900k, we'll its got mor cores :]

I'll wait till they do tract with another Fab for the 7nm :)

Based on how hot the 9900k is and how little of an overclock you can get out of it even with water I'm guessing the issue with that one is yield. These have to be cherry picked dies to run that close to the edge at "stock" speeds.

2ks4fc.jpg

Experiencing shortages? More like never was in stock. I have had 9900k in stock alerts setup at a lot of stores, and nothing. I am not planning on the 9900k as clocks matter more for my use, so the 9700k is my main choice....However if the 9900k comes in first, I will get it. I have had two alerts from Newegg for the 9700K, each one was late at night as it was in my inbox already at 5am when I got up and was already out of stock by the time I checked, assuming they were really in stock and not just some glitch with the alert.

However, this was all expected from everything we knew before launch anyway.

Good thing I'm probably only going to buy one once they hit significant discounts at the end of the product life.

Same thing is happening to custom AIB 2080ti gpus like the FTW3. B&H listed them as having an expected availability date of 23 Oct., and I watched as that date disappeared from that page shortly after midnight EST on the 23rd.

There's at least a couple of threads on reddit about the delay (here's one: B&H Photo Video - Preorder Update - Ordered on Sep 12, Estimated Oct 22, DELAYED to Nov 9), and the latest indicates that B&H now doesn't know when (or even if) they'll receive those cards (ref: B&H EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra — Delayed Indefinitely).

How is this junk any better than a 7820X? Not that those are in stock now, just sayin'

Are any of you planning on buying the i9-9900K? I'm just wondering if the shortage is because there is a real demand or because they are having problems making them.
Streamers are among the rare demographics where buying a 9900K actually makes sense.
About availability, it's looking even worse than the 8700K at launch, at least for now.

Streamers are among the rare demographics where buying a 9900K actually makes sense.
About availability, it's looking even worse than the 8700K at launch, at least for now.
Still though, only if your super E-Peen about it. you can get by with The NVidia NVEC coder. or if you really don't want any performance hits you could use Quick sync for no performance lose since most streamers are not going to be using their integrated graphics. In every case it is only for those who want the best of the best

Still though, only if your super E-Peen about it. you can get by with The NVidia NVEC coder. or if you really don't want any performance hits you could use Quick sync for no performance lose since most streamers are not going to be using their integrated graphics. In every case it is only for those who want the best of the best

last time I did an encode for a movie I used the NVIDIA codec and it was super fast but output quality was pretty garbage. That was probably 3 or 4 years ago. Is it better now?

Kind of a surprise considering all the people i've seen saying they are returning them.

omg, intel is fake news now? Holy crap, first the damned paid/fake benchmarks last week. Now they don't even have any to sell? WTF Intel has completely lost their way, sucked nuts ever since AMD came back into the picture. Now Intel is trying to catch up.

And Nvidia is fake news also. The 20 series will be a total failure. AMD will come out with new Ryzen 2s, and new GPUs early next year. While Intel and Nvidia can suck a dick. This is what happens when you get greedy! What goes around comes around.

Super excited for this. Worlds greatest gaming CPU .. hell yeah! I'm sure they will have shortages and tons of demand.
All of my friends only FW Intel.

I remember building a client a 10 Core Intel a few years ago. Was so jealous. Getting 8 cores soon. Only 2 cores away lol.

Oem ones are easy enough to get in the uk, no sign of the boxed ones so far.

last time I did an encode for a movie I used the NVIDIA codec and it was super fast but output quality was pretty garbage. That was probably 3 or 4 years ago. Is it better now?

I think current version is nvenc4 and is good, but is its perf/qual rtx specific?

For the first time in a decade, I'm waiting on AMD to refresh Ryzen to 7nm so I can finally build an AMD system. I've got zero interest in the overpriced and hot 9900k. I've bashed AMD and Ryzen in the past since it does have weaker single thread performance but at least the price point is fair and they should be rewarded for that.

For the first time in a decade, I'm waiting on AMD to refresh Ryzen to 7nm so I can finally build an AMD system. I've got zero interest in the overpriced and hot 9900k. I've bashed AMD and Ryzen in the past since it does have weaker single thread performance but at least the price point is fair and they should be rewarded for that.
Good for you! AMD wasn't very interesting to me after Athlon64 & X2, I think Intels Conroe played a huge role in that for me. I gotta say all my AMD machines seem to have less issues than intel builds both at home and at work. I'm not 100% sure why that is because I think intel makes some great stuff... just being honest. I had a Venice core go OC'ed for so long with no issues I was happy to have AMD as an option again after my LGA1366 system basically cooked itself to death. Ryzen 2600 has been flawless for me. I built this machine in August and was on the fence if I was going to just get a B450 chipset coupled with my 2600 for a good price or wait for the 9000 series from Intel. Glad I pulled the trigger. Like you I also have zero interest in Intel's offerings, it's just not a good value. If consumers thought more about it like you are here, maybe NVIDIA, Intel, and other companies would be a little more hesitant in bending over their customers.

I used to always recommend AMD, but when that Wolfdale or whatever the E8400 was came out from Intel, that became my recommendation. AMD is like that old friend that disappeared and came back to town when you needed a helping hand hehe. I never bashed AMD because their stuff wasn't as good for a while, it was what it was. But sometimes companies need to be bashed, and the last few years NVIDIA and Intel have been more naughty than they needed to be. F 'em.

Dumb ass sheep jumping on everything Intel pukes out, they cant even get their process right.

I don't know.

I think the 9900k has potential.

Yes, it's probably highly binned, yes, it runs hot stock, yes, overclocking margins are razor thin, but it is also the only 8 core chip out there you can buy without sacrificing the per core performance of Intel's top performing quad core chips.

If you want 8 cores, and you don't want to sacrifice per core performance, this is pretty much it. If I were shopping today (which I only half-heartedly am, because my old [email protected] still runs well enough that I have a tough time justifying getting rid of it) it would be between this 9900k, a threadripper or whatever 7nm brings to AMD. It's not an easy choice.

That said, even the best CPU in the world is useless if you can't actually buy it :p

Back