Intel Core i9-9900K Processor Shortage Hits NewEgg and Amazon

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Oct 23, 2018.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

DrezKill likes this.
  2. AtomClock

AtomClock [H]Lite

I'm not interested in anything Intel these days... I'm really happy with my 2700X. Are any of you planning on buying the i9-9900K? I'm just wondering if the shortage is because there is a real demand or because they are having problems making them.

DrezKill, N4CR, travanx and 9 others like this.
  3. viper1152012

viper1152012 [H]ard|Gawd

9900k, we'll its got mor cores :]

I'll wait till they do tract with another Fab for the 7nm :)

4. TonyZ

TonyZ Limp Gawd

Dumb ass sheep jumping on everything Intel pukes out, they cant even get their process right.

5. SmokeRngs

SmokeRngs [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008

Based on how hot the 9900k is and how little of an overclock you can get out of it even with water I'm guessing the issue with that one is yield. These have to be cherry picked dies to run that close to the edge at "stock" speeds.

Armenius, jeffj7, 5150Joker and 2 others like this.
  6. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

7. Johan Steyn

Johan Steyn [H]Lite

This is not a shortage, but a failure to supply. The few they supplied, cannot realy be called a supply. It was just to stop people from waiting for Zen 2, an old trick with paper launches.

nEo717, filip, N4CR and 10 others like this.
  8. BlueFireIce

BlueFireIce [H]ardness Supreme

Experiencing shortages? More like never was in stock. I have had 9900k in stock alerts setup at a lot of stores, and nothing. I am not planning on the 9900k as clocks matter more for my use, so the 9700k is my main choice....However if the 9900k comes in first, I will get it. I have had two alerts from Newegg for the 9700K, each one was late at night as it was in my inbox already at 5am when I got up and was already out of stock by the time I checked, assuming they were really in stock and not just some glitch with the alert.

However, this was all expected from everything we knew before launch anyway.

9. STEM

STEM Gawd

This is Intel cock-blocking AMD...

filip, N4CR, Jza and 1 other person like this.
  10. Nexus6

Nexus6 Limp Gawd

Good thing I'm probably only going to buy one once they hit significant discounts at the end of the product life.

11. iamjanco

iamjanco Limp Gawd

Same thing is happening to custom AIB 2080ti gpus like the FTW3. B&H listed them as having an expected availability date of 23 Oct., and I watched as that date disappeared from that page shortly after midnight EST on the 23rd.

There's at least a couple of threads on reddit about the delay (here's one: B&H Photo Video - Preorder Update - Ordered on Sep 12, Estimated Oct 22, DELAYED to Nov 9), and the latest indicates that B&H now doesn't know when (or even if) they'll receive those cards (ref: B&H EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra — Delayed Indefinitely).

jnemesh likes this.
  12. STEM

STEM Gawd

How is this junk any better than a 7820X? Not that those are in stock now, just sayin'

13. quiktake

quiktake Limp Gawd

Sounds just like what happened with the 8700K last year.

Ranulfo and Nightfire like this.
  14. Kogan

Kogan Limp Gawd

Haha, the 9900k... I'm waiting for AMD's 7nm part, like any other sane person should be doing.

jeffj7, DrezKill, wyqtor and 13 others like this.
  15. chithanh

chithanh Gawd

Streamers are among the rare demographics where buying a 9900K actually makes sense.
    About availability, it's looking even worse than the 8700K at launch, at least for now.

16. Devastadus

Devastadus [H]Lite

Still though, only if your super E-Peen about it. you can get by with The NVidia NVEC coder. or if you really don't want any performance hits you could use Quick sync for no performance lose since most streamers are not going to be using their integrated graphics. In every case it is only for those who want the best of the best

/dev/null likes this.
  17. Seventyfive

Seventyfive [H]ard|Gawd

last time I did an encode for a movie I used the NVIDIA codec and it was super fast but output quality was pretty garbage. That was probably 3 or 4 years ago. Is it better now?

18. Sikkyu

Sikkyu I Question Reality

just wait for the 9286k special edition

nEo717, SolidBladez, N4CR and 3 others like this.
  19. Wolf-R1

Wolf-R1 [H]ard|Gawd

LOL This was a surprise how???

DTN107 and LightsOut41 like this.
  20. Qthulu

Qthulu [H]Lite

Kind of a surprise considering all the people i've seen saying they are returning them.

21. bobdabilder

bobdabilder Limp Gawd

Brilliant

Sikkyu likes this.
  22. BlueFireIce

BlueFireIce [H]ardness Supreme

They probably mean canceling their preorder.

23. Motley

Motley 2[H]4U

omg, intel is fake news now? Holy crap, first the damned paid/fake benchmarks last week. Now they don't even have any to sell? WTF Intel has completely lost their way, sucked nuts ever since AMD came back into the picture. Now Intel is trying to catch up.

And Nvidia is fake news also. The 20 series will be a total failure. AMD will come out with new Ryzen 2s, and new GPUs early next year. While Intel and Nvidia can suck a dick. This is what happens when you get greedy! What goes around comes around.

24. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

Super excited for this. Worlds greatest gaming CPU .. hell yeah! I'm sure they will have shortages and tons of demand.
    All of my friends only FW Intel.

I remember building a client a 10 Core Intel a few years ago. Was so jealous. Getting 8 cores soon. Only 2 cores away lol.

25. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

Oem ones are easy enough to get in the uk, no sign of the boxed ones so far.

26. ZippZ

ZippZ n00b

Or maybe they have a lot of chips but low yields when making the boxes for it.

Unter Dog, LuxTerra and GoldenTiger like this.
  27. Motley

Motley 2[H]4U

lmao, Intel CEO "Why can't we ship any 9900k's out?" warehouse dude "we didn't order enough boxes".

28. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Paper launch, quick print moar.

29. STEvil

STEvil 2[H]4U

I think current version is nvenc4 and is good, but is its perf/qual rtx specific?

30. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

giphy.gif

wasn't it know it was a paper launch?

Meeho likes this.
  31. Hagrid

Hagrid [H]ardness Supreme

If they produced 1 cpu and sold it, then they can say it's a launch on that day right?

DrezKill and Master_shake_ like this.
  32. xSneak

xSneak Limp Gawd

Mine isnt estimated to ship out until nov 21 :(

33. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

34. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

For the first time in a decade, I'm waiting on AMD to refresh Ryzen to 7nm so I can finally build an AMD system. I've got zero interest in the overpriced and hot 9900k. I've bashed AMD and Ryzen in the past since it does have weaker single thread performance but at least the price point is fair and they should be rewarded for that.

SolidBladez, filip, DrezKill and 7 others like this.
  35. Brahmzy

Brahmzy [H]ardness Supreme

Haters gon’ hate!

36. JNavy89GT

JNavy89GT [H]ard|Gawd

yeah but their CEO said they had plenty of supply lol!

I so hope AMD doesn't drop the ball with 7nm Ryzen refresh. If we can get near mhz parity I'm 100% with ditching intel.

37. LuxTerra

LuxTerra Limp Gawd

Fixed it for you.

DrezKill likes this.
  38. Jza

Jza [H]Lite

Good for you! AMD wasn't very interesting to me after Athlon64 & X2, I think Intels Conroe played a huge role in that for me. I gotta say all my AMD machines seem to have less issues than intel builds both at home and at work. I'm not 100% sure why that is because I think intel makes some great stuff... just being honest. I had a Venice core go OC'ed for so long with no issues I was happy to have AMD as an option again after my LGA1366 system basically cooked itself to death. Ryzen 2600 has been flawless for me. I built this machine in August and was on the fence if I was going to just get a B450 chipset coupled with my 2600 for a good price or wait for the 9000 series from Intel. Glad I pulled the trigger. Like you I also have zero interest in Intel's offerings, it's just not a good value. If consumers thought more about it like you are here, maybe NVIDIA, Intel, and other companies would be a little more hesitant in bending over their customers.

I used to always recommend AMD, but when that Wolfdale or whatever the E8400 was came out from Intel, that became my recommendation. AMD is like that old friend that disappeared and came back to town when you needed a helping hand hehe. I never bashed AMD because their stuff wasn't as good for a while, it was what it was. But sometimes companies need to be bashed, and the last few years NVIDIA and Intel have been more naughty than they needed to be. F 'em.

DrezKill and 5150Joker like this.
  39. psyclist

psyclist Gawd

Haha, Intel PR gotta be working overtime these days. Jesus what a shit show of a company lately...Whats next?

LightsOut41 and N4CR like this.
  40. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

I don't know.

I think the 9900k has potential.

Yes, it's probably highly binned, yes, it runs hot stock, yes, overclocking margins are razor thin, but it is also the only 8 core chip out there you can buy without sacrificing the per core performance of Intel's top performing quad core chips.

If you want 8 cores, and you don't want to sacrifice per core performance, this is pretty much it. If I were shopping today (which I only half-heartedly am, because my old 3930k@4.8 still runs well enough that I have a tough time justifying getting rid of it) it would be between this 9900k, a threadripper or whatever 7nm brings to AMD. It's not an easy choice.

That said, even the best CPU in the world is useless if you can't actually buy it :p

DrezKill and brentsg like this.