Intel Core i9-7900X “Skylake-X” Reviews

Hmmm, interesting. It takes 1.35v to get all 10 cores on the 6950x at 4.3Ghz with H100 type cooler which seems to be a pretty hard limit for this chip. I'm interested in seeing that the 10+ chips can do.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/2191993

Like this? Still not bad considering it's 2 less cores and lower overall clock speed. Also still beats 1950X, indicating that score has something seriously wrong with it, almost like only half the processor was utilized.

Probably throttling like a mofo would be my guess. Both Intel and AMD will need some serious cooling.

My 5960x at 4.8Ghz gave off 388 watts... can't wait for someone to delid/chill the 18 core intel.

Last edited:
Meanwhile for gaming this is completely irrelevant.

When I first saw the news I was like "Oh, maybe my 5820k is finally worth replacing"

Looks at reviews..

Nope.

Probably throttling like a mofo would be my guess. Both Intel and AMD will need some serious cooling.

My 5960x at 4.8Ghz gave off 388 watts... can't wait for someone to delid/chill the 18 core intel.

For that 18 core chip I imagine you need a delid+ some kind of active cooling on the liquid to keep it well below uncomfortable temperatures, a pump and radiator won't cut it

Meanwhile for gaming this is completely irrelevant.

When I first saw the news I was like "Oh, maybe my 5820k is finally worth replacing"

Looks at reviews..

Nope.

How is this irrelevant? This is basically promising the gaming performance of a 7700k combined with the multicolore performance of a 10 core chip.

This is fantastic

For that 18 core chip I imagine you need a delid+ some kind of active cooling on the liquid to keep it well below uncomfortable temperatures, a pump and radiator won't cut it

Yeah, I have a 9x140mm rad I got from someone here.
I also have the equipment for about 2.5kW of peltiers. (Can keep around 1200 watts at 5C)

Problem is I don't have any need for a $2k CPU :(

Yeah, I have a 9x140mm rad I got from someone here.
I also have the equipment for about 2.5kW of peltiers. (Can keep around 1200 watts at 5C)

Problem is I don't have any need for a $2k CPU :(

You also need waterblocks to cool the Peltiers, and the Peltiers to cool the waterblocks that cool the Peltiers, and...

actually, its really just a matter of how much radiator you have. Water is an excellent thermal transfer compound, a 420/480 radiator can ~800 watts of dissipation @ ~10c delta with 1500ish rpm fans. Dissipation basically scales linearly with total radiator area. Standard PC watercooling and pumps are perfectly capable of dissipating literally thousands of watts if you hook enough radiators together.

actually, its really just a matter of how much radiator you have. Water is an excellent thermal transfer compound, a 420/480 radiator can ~800 watts of dissipation @ ~10c delta with 1500ish rpm fans. Dissipation basically scales linearly with total radiator area. Standard PC watercooling and pumps are perfectly capable of dissipating literally thousands of watts if you hook enough radiators together.

You want to maximize the gradient at the IHS-Block interface, the problem is not only raw heat output and the temperature of the chip (which is actually an average over time ***and area***) but how fast you can dissipate that heat. Ambient temps are simply not enough . If it is linear then a 240mm rad should be able to dissipate 400w with a 10c delta and we know that's not the case

You also need waterblocks to cool the Peltiers, and the Peltiers to cool the waterblocks that cool the Peltiers, and...

I got three 12"x7" plates for about $100/each. I believe off Newark.

You can do multiple phases but that gets expensive electrically! Thermal is very easy to calculate. Peltiers are kinda meh on efficiency but they are silent and what people don't realize is that regular AC (phase change) efficiency falls off quickly as well as delta C increases.

You want to maximize the gradient at the IHS-Block interface, the problem is not only raw heat output and the temperature of the chip (which is actually an average over time ***and area***) but how fast you can dissipate that heat. Ambient temps are simply not enough . If it is linear then a 240mm rad should be able to dissipate 400w with a 10c delta and we know that's not the case

10c delta is water temp vs ambient. There is still the differential between cpu and water which is driven by the TIM-HS-TIM-WB thermal resistance which is the primary limiter. And a 240mm rad CAN dissipate 400W with a 10c delta, it has been tested and proven by multiple review sites, but as I stated, that 10c delta is water to ambient not CPU to ambient. Top end waterblocks are in the range of <.1 C/W. The TIM-HS interface raises this to ~.1 C/W with the best blocks on the market. So total we are looking at roughly 50c above ambient increase with full thermal dissipation path taken into account for a 400w CPU load or so.

I'm not buying it. Let's just wait until retail silicon hits the reviewers.

Are we going to ignore the fact that the 7900X was pushing 100C with a 240mm liquid cooler attached?

No sale.

What did you expect with only 240mm? It's physics. Paying this much for a processor you need to get some real cooling or it'll throttle under intensive loads.

Last edited:
A part of me want to feel sad for poor Intel...but I dropped those kids off at the pool this morning.

Are we going to ignore the fact that the 7900X was pushing 100C with a 240mm liquid cooler attached?

No sale.

People who don't recognize how unrealistic 1.3v even after it is made clear in the review that it was operating comfortably at 1.22v 4.6 are probably not the kind of people who are going to overclock anyway

What did you expect with only 240mm? It's physics. Paying this much for a processor you need to get some real cooling or it'll throttle under intensive loads.
Its the mediocre TIM set up Intel did. Temps improve massively when the default TIM and IHS adhesive is removed. 240mm AIO water loop should be able to do better than that and will with modification of the CPU TIM.

On a cheap low end chip I understand and agree with using the cheap TIM set up Intel has. But for high end chips? Outright stupid of them.

Physics? We've dealt with just as much wattage from highly OCed Nehalems without issues.
It's a combination of the smaller die, and more importantly the f*cking pissant excuse of a TIM (or at least the manufacturing process of applying it and assembling the IHS).

Last edited:
Its the mediocre TIM set up Intel did. Temps improve massively when the default TIM and IHS adhesive is removed. 240mm AIO water loop should be able to do better than that and will with modification of the CPU TIM.

On a cheap low end chip I understand and agree with using the cheap TIM set up Intel has. But for high end chips? Outright stupid of them.

Physics? We've dealt with just as much wattage from highly OCed Nehalems without issues.
It's a combination of the smaller die, and more importantly the f*cking pissant excuse of a TIM (or at least the manufacturing process of applying it and assembling the IHS).

Yeah... thermal dynamics is a part of physics. So I was basically responding if a processor with four cores runs pretty hot then adding more will be harder to cool given a similar configuration (which it is). I didn't feel like typing that all out.

I will agree the lack of any soldered processors was disappointing.

Yeah... thermal dynamics is a part of physics. So I was basically responding if a processor with four cores runs pretty hot then adding more will be harder to cool given a similar configuration (which it is). I didn't feel like typing that all out.

I will agree the lack of any soldered processors was disappointing.

The lack of solder is very very probably due to the power density on these chips and the resultant spikes/valleys in temperatures. The thermal cycling the paste will have to go through is going to be worse than previous, and given that the ***vast majority*** of the sales of these CPUs will go to small businesses and generally people who won't delid or overclock, stability and reliability are key.

It makes very little sense to think Intel is shaving off 1c per CPU on a series that will sell tens of thousands of units.

Also found this on videocardz

Intel-Core-i7-7740X-overclocking-850x755.jpg

Looks like 7700K on x299 clocks a little higher on average, required significantly lower voltage to do so

The lack of solder is very very probably due to the power density on these chips and the resultant spikes/valleys in temperatures.
Intel has said this is only a problem with their small die chips. These new Intel HEDT chips have larger dies so that argument isn't valid with them.

Intel has said this is only a problem with their small die chips. These new Intel HEDT chips have larger dies so that argument isn't valid with them.
This isn't a HEDT chip, its a 7700K with the IGP disabled. Could simply be a new stepping etc, I am not sure.

This isn't a HEDT chip, its a 7700K with the IGP disabled. Could simply be a new stepping etc, I am not sure.
The thread is about HEDT chips though and that was the context for my original post too.

If you want to post about the 7700K you're in the wrong thread.

The thread is about HEDT chips though and that was the context for my original post too.

If you want to post about the 7700K you're in the wrong thread.

Uh, this thread is about Skylake-X, which by association includes the X299 platform, whose lineup includes the 7740X... Which is a kaby lake chip. I also made the thread, which means I can edit the post, and the title and turn it into a kaby lake thread. And then you will be off topic, and I will find it highly amusing :p

Edit: lol this isn't the thread I made, kyle merged it into the frontpage news article. Damn, ruined my joke

Uh, this thread is about Skylake-X, which by association includes the X299 platform, whose lineup includes the 7740X
The 7740X is just a rebadged 4 core Skylake non X chip in a new socket. No one with any sense cares about it when it comes to X299 platform nor is it useful to talk about when discussing soldered TIM's since its a small die product.

The 6C+ chips are the only ones anyone cares about and they're all large dies and since they're large dies its legit to talk about soldered TIM's with them.

And yeah you could've edited the thread title if you wanted to before but that would just be petty and useless.

AMD wins? if they are within 10% of perfornamce, that extra $500-1500 is great savings!

Reactions: N4CR
like this
The 7740X is just a rebadged 4 core Skylake non X chip in a new socket. No one with any sense cares about it when it comes to X299 platform nor is it useful to talk about when discussing soldered TIM's since its a small die product.

The 6C+ chips are the only ones anyone cares about and they're all large dies and since they're large dies its legit to talk about soldered TIM's with them.

And yeah you could've edited the thread title if you wanted to before but that would just be petty and useless.
https://ark.intel.com/products/121499/Intel-Core-i7-7740X-X-series-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz
upload_2017-6-19_3-51-9.png

Kaby Lake. It's a 7700K.

You even find it when looking at all kaby lake chips
https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/82879/Kaby-Lake

Between what and what?

I hate every time people use that phrase because ultimately, none of KBL-S, Ryzen nor SKL-X compete with each other besides pricing or core counts.

I hate it when people like limited choices.
So you liked the status quo where Intel twiddled it's thumbs while AMD picked its nose?

There is a reason why Intel's newest offerings are a confusing mess of decisions that seem entirely reactionary to something.....

Ulimately, some of those reactions may create value for a consumer. That would not happen if Intel competed only with itself.

So you liked the status quo where Intel twiddled it's thumbs while AMD picked its nose?
No, but i did not particularly care about it either.
There is a reason why Intel's newest offerings are a confusing mess of decisions that seem entirely reactionary to something.....
Ironically that has nothing to do with Ryzen, but with youtubers knowing jackshit.
Ulimately, some of those reactions may create value for a consumer. That would not happen if Intel competed only with itself.
Oh yeah, that 7740k value.

No, but i did not particularly care about it either.

That's your prerogative, but also part of the problem....take whatever Intel puts on your plate, because there was nothing else worth having. Sure, ok. If you didn't care, why are you paying attention now?

Ironically that has nothing to do with Ryzen, but with youtubers knowing jackshit.

Youtubers? What have they got to do with it? Besides, what is your reasoning about it's misplaced existence on a supposed HEDT platform with half the benefits missing?

Oh yeah, that 7740k value

What are you on about m8?
That is a caught-off-guard, startled, knee jerk reactionary valueless crap due to complacency....because, you know, AMD had nothing of value before. I don't know where you picked up 7740k as present value in what I said. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The point is that they have started paying some attention, even if they produced a turd as a reaction in adjustment to a competitor. Positive signs, somewhat.

That's your prerogative, but also part of the problem....take whatever Intel puts on your plate, because there was nothing else worth having. Sure, ok. If you didn't care, why are you paying attention now?

Youtubers? What have they got to do with it? Besides, what is your reasoning about it's misplaced existence on a supposed HEDT platform with half the benefits missing?

What are you on about m8?
That is a caught-off-guard, startled, knee jerk reactionary valueless crap due to complacency....because, you know, AMD had nothing of value before. I don't know where you picked up 7740k as present value in what I said. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The point is that they have started paying some attention, even if they produced a turd as a reaction in adjustment to a competitor. Positive signs, somewhat.
AMD gained a whole 2% market share in Q2. Forgive me if I don't believe that anything Intel has done or is doing is a reaction to AMD.

AMD gained a whole 2% market share in Q2. Forgive me if I don't believe that anything Intel has done or is doing is a reaction to AMD.

You and all the other intel shills needs to realize that skylake-x didn't even exist in february when Ryzen launched, they had to scrap it together using half-assed skylake bits and bobs they had lying around :p

That is a caught-off-guard, startled, knee jerk reactionary valueless crap
None of it is kneejerk or reactionary. The only reactionary things Intel did are the i9 branding and introduction of MCC dies in HEDT. Neither of those matter at the moment so yeah.

Huh? They did react. In response to......? which is the point.
They did react but actions you flame them about have nothing to do with their reaction.
None of it does unless one needs it. I don't need it, but it would nice.
Do you need i9 label on your CPU? Because that's their reaction to TR. Ultimately, so is 7980X but it won't be overclockable due to thermals so it is strictly inferior to it's Skylake-W counterpart.

Back