Intel Core i9-7900X CPU Reviews

I get it, the 7900x is the big flagship product so its getting most of the press, but why all the 7740x reviews and almost nothing on the 7800x and 7820x. I find it hard to believe people are more interested in a rebadged 7700k rather than the new 6 and 8 core parts. Those 2 are going to be the CPU's that most of us can realistically afford if we upgrade to x299.

I get it, the 7900x is the big flagship product so its getting most of the press, but why all the 7740x reviews and almost nothing on the 7800x and 7820x. I find it hard to believe people are more interested in a rebadged 7700k rather than the new 6 and 8 core parts. Those 2 are going to be the CPU's that most of us can realistically afford if we upgrade to x299.

I got a feeling the 7800x only exists to close the gap between the 4 and 8 core as in we can not not release a 6 core but the "real" 6 cores will be coffee lake in August, that's why they gimped it so badly.

the bigger issue is that intel has dictated that motherboards need to be FULLY featured, from top to bottom of the sku range, .....

Do tell: https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/0..._will_ditch_quadchannel_memory_cut_pcie_lanes

I don't think its going to happen this time, which really is only going to add to the confusion and make things worse.

Its kind of funny, last time I remember intel laying a real turd was back with the Pentium 4 and their insistence on rambus ram. We all know how that turned out. (oh I guess you could count the itanium as well).

Yeah, the 7740k is ridiculous. Who is going to say "I want a lot of cores for the multithreaded work I do", but I can only afford a 4 core now, I'll upgrade later. Whoever needs the threads is just going to buy a R7 setup instead, I would love to meet this theoretical customer Intel thinks exists.

While I wait for AMD to get Ryzen optimised and Intel to work on their new platform, I just ordered a X5660 off ebay to upgrade my ancient i7 950!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11550...-core-i9-7900x-i7-7820x-and-i7-7800x-tested/7

Some of the issue they mention sound an awful lot like what Ryzen had - including inexplicably low gaming benches. I guess there are some pitfalls to cramming a server oriented CPU into a desktop.

Similar issues but 20X less fuss for some strange reason. I mean you don't see heaps of videos and articles opening with 'Is Skylake-X worth it? Poor Gaming performance?' clickbait titles or 'Slightly faster while emulating the power density experience by a re-entry heat shield'.
If it was AMD, people would be jumping on it (like they did on Ryzen). Let alone Intel uses more power to do the same work - silence.

Wow, the $390 i7-7800X does not look good compared to the $340 R7 1700X in AnandTech's review. These two chips trade blows, often performing within 10-15% of each other. IPC-dependent tasks favor Intel and thread count-dependent tasks favor AMD.

...And the 7800X uses 146W at load while the 1700X uses 82W.

...And the X299 boards start at $250 while a solid B350 board is $100.

You'd have to be either totally goofy or simply not able to wait two months to buy into the X299 platform right now with Threadripper so close on the horizon.

TLDR Intel has pretty crappy efficiency in HEDT, but you hear crickets about this. AMD is actually more efficient (in perf/watt) for once but we hear crickets.
TR is going to be a compelling offer with the way this has all played out. Given how hot the 7900X runs, Intels' absolute lack of info on the higher core parts is telling. They're obviously having issues with clocks and being competitive. I have a feeling they might have TDP/clock issues when trying to compete stock for stock with TR. Smells just like Vega does, but with a blue tint for once...

Because we are definitely not most of us. Hell most people are running a god damn dual core, they have max 1k for a box + screen, not just an overpriced and overheating cpu, or gpu like we do.
Hence the 7740k I'd be almost prepared to bet money it'll sell more than the other chips... because it's cheap and the cheap types love brand association with the 'top' platform. The 10+ core stuff are halo models like a Veyron, very few people will actually buy/use them outside of high end enthusiasts (a tiny subset).
But next to a Ryzen rig (you're shopping for budget, not 2k gimped xeons here) it's really a fanboy wankfest and practically not worth, unless you need that 5 extra FPS at 400Hz on your 240p elite CS kangs monitor.

Inb4
Oh but it's AMD and they sucks and such overheating, uhh, ram compatibility! AMD drivers suck, ummm and a s-s-stepping does nothing! Core2Duo has higher IPC in 'foreign titled obscurabenchXV' bro, Zen sucks so bad!!
>dumps irrelevant synthetic metric screenshot
See!!!
AMD SUX GUYS

lmao if it gets even more efficient

In a more serious note, the ram fixes will really be a good thing to see and I wonder if any further gaming/specific workload boosts can be achieved with it. Wonder if intel can sort their (same) shit out before hand...

Last edited:
Similar issues but 20X less fuss for some strange reason. I mean you don't see heaps of videos and articles opening with 'Is Skylake-X worth it? Poor Gaming performance?' clickbait titles or 'Slightly faster while emulating the power density experience by a re-entry heat shield'.
If it was AMD, people would be jumping on it (like they did on Ryzen). Let alone Intel uses more power to do the same work - silence.

TLDR Intel has pretty crappy efficiency in HEDT, but you hear crickets about this. AMD is actually more efficient (in perf/watt) for once but we hear crickets.
TR is going to be a compelling offer with the way this has all played out. Given how hot the 7900X runs, Intels' absolute lack of info on the higher core parts is telling. They're obviously having issues with clocks and being competitive. I have a feeling they might have TDP/clock issues when trying to compete stock for stock with TR. Smells just like Vega does, but with a blue tint for once...

Because we are definitely not most of us. Hell most people are running a god damn dual core, they have max 1k for a box + screen, not just an overpriced and overheating cpu, or gpu like we do.
Hence the 7740k I'd be almost prepared to bet money it'll sell more than the other chips... because it's cheap and the cheap types love brand association with the 'top' platform. The 10+ core stuff are halo models like a Veyron, very few people will actually buy/use them outside of high end enthusiasts (a tiny subset).
But next to a Ryzen rig (you're shopping for budget, not 2k gimped xeons here) it's really a fanboy wankfest and practically not worth, unless you need that 5 extra FPS at 400Hz on your 240p elite CS kangs monitor.

Inb4
Oh but it's AMD and they sucks and such overheating, uhh, ram compatibility! AMD drivers suck, ummm and a s-s-stepping does nothing! Core2Duo has higher IPC in 'foreign titled obscurabenchXV' bro, Zen sucks so bad!!
See!!!
AMD SUX GUYS

In a more serious note, the ram fixes will really be a good thing to see and I wonder if any further gaming/specific workload boosts can be achieved with it. Wonder if intel can sort their (same) shit out before hand...

Um, wtf is going on here.......................

Inb4
See!!!
AMD SUX GUYS

Bitter much? Going to be funny to see you defend TR.

With SKL-X you can pretty much have it all without any sacrifices unlike other products.

Bitter much? Going to be funny to see you defend TR.

With SKL-X you can pretty much have it all without any sacrifices unlike other products.
Defend what exactly? TR 16C is likely gonna top out at price of $1000 and having 4C/8T more than the equivalent Intel, and 64Pci-e lanes it will have the advantage. Oh and forget the higher IPC/Gaming/blah/blah and consider that Far Cheaper options exist that game better, These CPUs are about thread count and the battle thus far seems to lean toward AMD.

And everything about this release from Intel screams Knee-jerk.

The heat will be the biggest issue. AMD chips have been plagued with heat issues, making them less than ideal for mini builds or laptops. If Intel cannot keep their chip cool, they lose one big advantage they had over AMD.

It was hilarious reading the tpu thread. Intel fanboys bashing AMD for coming out with a B2 stepping so soon to fix stuff. lol wut?

A few more clocks and no igpu either.

Back