Intel Core i9-7900 Series CPU Core Count and Prices

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
While there has been a lot of clamor about the upcoming Intel Core i9 CPUs, Intel did finally give some insight to pricing and verified core count.

Check out the pricing here.

The 12-Core 7920X comes in at $1200, the 14-Core 7940X at $1400, the 16-Core 7960X at $1700, and the 18-Core 7980XE at $2000. Get your wallets out, and your savings account. It would seem that this is Intel's immediate reaction to AMD's Threadripper HEDT CPU. What makes this seem like a kneejerk reaction is the fact that CPU's with more than 12 cores are not mentioned in ASUS' X299 motherboard announcement this morning.

Better pricing than I expected from Intel. That 18 core chip would have been 4-5K without the thread ripper announcement.
This is good news for AMD, now they can price theirs just below Intel and people will think it's a better deal.
Intel will not lose much market share (still making their profits) and AMD will grow, good news for both sides.

I wouldn't buy these for gaming. There are cheaper and faster 4-core options.

If it were not for AMD then we'd only be offered the 10 or 12 core with a price of at least $1,750 for the top end model.

So again, Kabylake X is seemingly nothing more than a repackaged regular Kabylake die on a big socket with no IGPu and an elevated TDP.

You need to spend $1,000 to avoid having a reduced number of PCIe lanes. Moreover, the entry level Skylake X doesn't even come with a full memory controller because it has reduced RAM speed support despite theoretically having so much empty space on the die with only 1/3 of the cores.

Lastly, if what is coming out of Asus's overclocker is true then as I posted in the other thread the HEDT chips will not come soldered.

Better pricing than I expected from Intel. That 18 core chip would have been 4-5K without the thread ripper announcement.
I wouldn't buy these for gaming. There are cheaper and faster 4-core options.

Yeah, I'm under the impression that as well as gaming, for Photoshop, and some other non-video content creation, clock speed and IPC are still more useful than core count.

Is the 18 core unlocked? How much fun would that be! I'd have to setup my chilled system again. That thing would last me years and years.

I have no need to upgrade my 5960x though... I have to wait for that to die.

Keep going down about $200 and then you'd have my (and many others') attention.
It's pretty easy to assume IPC are similar or better than current intel line up. So, why would they price their 8 core that hits 4.5Ghz out of box $60 lower than AMD's 8 core that hits 4Ghz out of box when it will outperform it. Still seems 100 dollars high but these are all halo products intel wants to make money, Intel does it in spades while AMD doesn't so gotta assume they've at least thought it though, in terms of projected actual sales of product not good pr.

As far as PCIe lanes, you have to have a very specific build in mind to actually saturate 28 PCIe 3.0 lanes in which you'd need more lanes. Ofc it's easy to want more PCIe lanes but wants are not needs. Will people hit that? Absolutely, especially with the price of this crap the people who lay down that much for a cpu are the same people who buy sas controllers etc.

While high I don't think it is unreasonable. I was expecting higher cost for the high end. $600 for a Intel 8 core tho that can overclock to at least 4.5ghz. Yes please.

agree although i don't understand the i5 processors.. why would you buy a processor that will more than likely cost less than the motherboard it's going on.. why isn't that processor being released on 1151 i mean what real advantage does x299 have over z270 to warrant buying a socket 2066 i5.

As far as PCIe lanes, you have to have a very specific build in mind to actually saturate 28 PCIe 3.0 lanes in which you'd need more lanes. Ofc it's easy to want more PCIe lanes but wants are not needs. Will people hit that? Absolutely, especially with the price of this crap the people who lay down that much for a cpu are the same people who buy sas controllers etc.
It's not that bizarre of a build any more. Especially if you are running an All-In-One VM Server. Two Video Cards all by themselves put you over what you'll need. Throw in a SAS controller and you'll have threads like we do here from people wondering why the performance is so bad. You would be surprised about how many people don't pay attention to that until it's too late. 28 lanes for your average computer user is generally OK. But it's not a lot on a HEDT platform where the likelihood of add-in cards is quite high.

If I were to upgrade now, I would get that 10 core chip
Would probably serve me nicely for the next 5 years

Unless these turn out to be significantly faster than Broadwell-E/Haswell-E chips; I'll just stay with my X99 and upgrade to a 6900K/6950X when their prices drop after the launch of these I9's.

Everyone in the USA now has access to 18 core 36 thread chips. I might have to set up a GoFundMe.

I'm eyeing the 7820k for my future upgrade. That should last me for a long while. My 4770k has servers me well all these years.

I like that intel is finally going to have one socket again. Not a 1155 to 1150 to 1151 BS. Finally just one 2066 for every chip. About Bloody time.

It's not that bizarre of a build any more. Especially if you are running an All-In-One VM Server. Two Video Cards all by themselves put you over what you'll need. Throw in a SAS controller and you'll have threads like we do here from people wondering why the performance is so bad. You would be surprised about how many people don't pay attention to that until it's too late. 28 lanes for your average computer user is generally OK. But it's not a lot on a HEDT platform where the likelihood of add-in cards is quite high.
High end video cards don't saturate 16x lanes of pcie 3.0 hell I don't think a 1080 will saturate 8x. For crypto mining you don't need much. Yeah running a server you could saturating that many lanes but will your workload typically, if you're running a server you're running you're video using the least amount of pcie lanes as possible to fit more cards at typically 4x even then it be hard to fill all those lanes, ofc at that point why are you not getting the higher end cpu? Or do you not need the extra cores, at which point maybe then you want to switch to amd or buy older xeons. If people wanted more lanes maybe PLX chips might have amounted to something.

This is actually much better pricing than the 6900 series and sort of that I was expecting but I wasn't expecting all of these new core options over 10. The i9-7980XE will get lots of criticisms for the price no doubt but the pricing but sill "only" $111 per core versus about $160 per core compared to the i7-6950x.

Wow, I feel old with my 5960x!!! I will not be purchasing one of these new monsters as I don't plan on upgrading my CPU anytime soon as my current CPU still does a very nice job for my workload. Perhaps AMD can entice me when their 16-core CPU comes out if it has a pricetag of $999.

High end video cards don't saturate 16x lanes of pcie 3.0 hell I don't think a 1080 will saturate 8x. For crypto mining you don't need much. Yeah running a server you could saturating that many lanes but will your workload typically, if you're running a server you're running you're video using the least amount of pcie lanes as possible to fit more cards at typically 4x even then it be hard to fill all those lanes, ofc at that point why are you not getting the higher end cpu? Or do you not need the extra cores, at which point maybe then you want to switch to amd or buy older xeons. If people wanted more lanes maybe PLX chips might have amounted to something.

There are some use cases that can saturate 8x PCI-E 3.0 Lanes.

But typical use case --- with a single monitor and a single video card --- yeah not much difference - maybe 1%
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus

However,
If you are running three 4k monitors at the lower quality settings you can saturate the pipe. (it's only low quality that is really effected --as you step up in video quality settings --- apparently the video card becomes the bottleneck and not the PCI-E lanes) --- extrapolate that out -- as we get faster video cards the PCI-E lanes may become an issue in certain use cases. So it's not that dual 8x isn't a bottleneck, it's that it isn't right now in typical use cases. Will 8x be a bottleneck with graphics cards 3-4 years from now??? (assuming you keep your system that long)
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Titan-X-Performance-PCI-E-3-0-x8-vs-x16-851/

pic_disp.php

Last edited:
Well, shit. der8auer's ES is using TIM instead of solder. What the hell was Intel thinking?

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...x_and_kaby_lake-x_cpus_will_not_be_soldered/1
$600 chip with only 28 lanes...remember when you get 40 lanes for half that price?
Well, Ryzen 7 1800x only has 24 lanes for $500.
Is the 18 core unlocked? How much fun would that be! I'd have to setup my chilled system again. That thing would last me years and years.

I have no need to upgrade my 5960x though... I have to wait for that to die.
Yes, it is unlocked according to Intel's slide.
upload_2017-5-30_10-1-1.png

How do these prices compare with the equivalent Xeons?

Until the next time. :)
Don't know if it's the equivalent, but the MSRP of the 18-core E5-4667v4 is $5,729.

Finally...time to retire my 2600K to my media server. The 7900X will be a nice upgrade, if it lasts half as long as my Sandy I will be a happy camper! I wonder what kind of overclocks will be achievable on water? Will have to wait and see, fingers crossed for >= 5Ghz.

Finally...time to retire my 2600K to my media server. The 7900X will be a nice upgrade, if it lasts half as long as my Sandy I will be a happy camper! I wonder what kind of overclocks will be achievable on water? Will have to wait and see, fingers crossed for >= 5Ghz.

If I can finally have 8c/16t at 5ghz at that price point, I'll bite so fucking hard.

Back