Intel Core i9-7900 Series CPU Core Count and Prices

If I can finally have 8c/16t at 5ghz at that price point, I'll bite so fucking hard.

+1

Overclockabilty will likely determine whether I go for the 7900X or 7820X, curious to see AMDs prices for their Threadrippers. It has been an amazing past 6 months with more excitement coming!

All I can say is thank you AMD for finally coming up for air and re-igniting the desktop computer.

How much is a ThreadRipper 16 core?
Amen.

Sadly, the intel fanbois will still buy intel, ignore AMD and pray AMD die, so their beloved intel can go back to charge 2k for a 8 core cpu.

Because some people are willing to pay a premium for the fastest parts, does not make them "fanbois", ignorant hating like this makes a fanboy.
There is a difference between paying premium because is worth it and another one because you have no other choice.

And before you waste more time talking crap about hating, my last 4 or so CPU has being intel because AMD was not an option for me, because of intel illegal practices on the Athlon 64 days.

Well the 7820X looks pretty tempting. Seems like a pretty good mix of price/performance. I'm not sure why the 6 core has lower clocks. Doesn't make a lot of sense. And not announcing clocks for the higher end parts makes me think they aren't coming out anytime soon.

$400 for two cores? Get outta here! Such rubbish. If you're going to spend $999 on 10 cores why not just spend $1199 on 12?
Cause your not buying only for the cores but also the 44 PCIe lanes. And some people don't want to spend more than $1k on a CPU. Well I can only speak for myself. Still I am going to be waiting for the comparison between Intel and AMDs 10c+ offerings in both gaming and highly threaded applications performance before I make a decision.

Could someone elaborate me what is the point of the i5-7640X and i7-7740X on this platform? Or am I missing a practical joke here?

It's nice to see them expand the line with a lot more options.

The real fireworks won't happen until we see the Threadripper prices and performance though.

There is a difference between paying premium because is worth it and another one because you have no other choice.

And before you waste more time talking crap about hating, my last 4 or so CPU has being intel because AMD was not an option for me, because of intel illegal practices on the Athlon 64 days.

So you bought Intel because it was the best option for you. And now that somehow makes people who also want the best for themselves are fanbois?

What illegal practices? Are you talking about the EC case where the EC ruled against it's own investigation team because they wanted money? And where AMD it self knew it had nothing to stand on so never brought a suit on Intel? Right right.

It's amazing when nothing else can be said the default stance is to bring this up.

Hoping for a [H] review of these, including the 7800X. It looks like an option that might work for the next 5 years, without robbing the bank.
And so my 2500k can finally find some rest at a non-gaming family member.

Wondering what a proper board will cost...

So you bought Intel because it was the best option for you.
Reading comprehension failed you i see, intel was the ONLY option, not the best.

And now that somehow makes people who also want the best for themselves are fanbois?
Again, reading comprehension bub, I said clearly that intel fanbois will buy intel regardless.

What illegal practices? Are you talking about the EC case where the EC ruled against it's own investigation team because they wanted money? And where AMD it self knew it had nothing to stand on so never brought a suit on Intel? Right right.

It's amazing when nothing else can be said the default stance is to bring this up.

No bub, the US case, which AMD actually won:

Try illegally blocking AMD at the OEM level:

https://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/139521,intel-guilty-of-bullying-amd.aspx

https://www.pcper.com/news/General-...US-Federal-District-Court-Antitrust-Complaint

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3203

Please let me know what else you dont understand, so i can post it in baby terms that you can comprehend.

I'll be shooting for the 7920X, but I'm interested in seeing comparisons to Threadripper. AMD probably won't have any overclocking headroom given the data we have on Ryzen cores right now, so that will be the deciding factor if prices are the same or close. I'm giving AMD the benefit of the doubt right now as far as motherboards are concerned.

Reading comprehension failed you i see, intel was the ONLY option, not the best.

Again, reading comprehension bub, I said clearly that intel fanbois will buy intel regardless.

No bub, the US case, which AMD actually won:

Try illegally blocking AMD at the OEM level:

https://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/139521,intel-guilty-of-bullying-amd.aspx

https://www.pcper.com/news/General-...US-Federal-District-Court-Antitrust-Complaint

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3203
Please let me know what else you dont understand, so i can post it in baby terms that you can comprehend.

And AMD fanbois will only buy AMD, what is your point? Every camp has fanbois. Believe it or not, everyone has different work loads and budgets, and no single CPU or brand will fill all of those.

What US case? The only US case was not won, but settled. Intel spent hundreds of millions in court on the case, so they cut losses and offered to settle, which was the right business choice, the fact AMD settled says a lot in that if they thought they would actually win, settling for the pennies they did would have been stupid. Also worth noting that nothing Intel did was illegal, offering bulk discounts and rebates is the industry norm, everyone does it including AMD, what AMD didn't like is that for performance and price they could not match those deals, which were giving consumers cheaper chips. The assumption made here is a bad one, it's that when one OEM can offer things for cheaper than the competition it is bad, where this idea comes from I have no idea, that is the very grounds of competition.

Now, that is not to say Intel has not done some iffy stuff or is the perfect love child, and nor is AMD, who sued Intel for the fee free license to Intels own IP, something unheard of anywhere else. AMD after all was just a second fab for Intel chips. AMD after this then also lobbied to have import restriction put on the cheap import of x86 chips because they could not compete with the imported chips or Intel, causing higher prices for consumers etc etc. But yes, lets only talk about Intel offering cheaper chips and rebates, because offering discounts on HW is evil. I mean I thought your whole argument was Intel was to expensive, now it's because Intel is to cheap? Which one is it?

As for not being able to buy AMD at all I guess all the people on this forum, including myself who owned a Athlon 64 is just lying? Care to make any more sweeping verifiably false statements? It really doesn't help your case, whatever that actually is. Seems like you made the choice based on price and performance and use to go with an Intel system, so I guess being the better value is evil if you are Intel, just as much as being the best flagship product is also evil....Only if you are Intel....What was it you were saying about fanbois again?

Could someone elaborate me what is the point of the i5-7640X and i7-7740X on this platform? Or am I missing a practical joke here?

If you are interested in used processors down the road it makes a heck of a lot of sense if you are on a budget now.

Say you buy into the 7740x now for $300. There isn't much in the way of applications that use more than that currently, outside of video editing. In 5 years when applications do make use of more cores and threads - you have a HUGE upgrade opportunity without changing motherboard and RAM. It gives a legitmate reason to pay the extra to upgrade into the 299 chipset. Because in five years you can buy a Intel I9-9840x or whatever for $400 and upgrade your whole system!!!

LOTS of future options open up for us bargain shoppers.

I recently upgraded a 3xxx series to a 4960x at work for the same reason on an older X79 motherboard that had 64GB of DDR3. The 4960x CPU six core upgrade was comparably cheaper than buying new 64GB of DDR4 RAM on a current platform for minimal speed loss and the loss of a couple of cores. We bought the 3xxx CPU when it was like 3-400 bucks, and then the 4960x was the same price used a few years later. But in this new world you'd be jumping from 4 core to 12 or 14 core! WIN!

And again, reading comprehension, bub, I mentioned the Athlon 64, but to make your case, you do have to warp it.

What was it you were saying about fanbois again?

That only fanbois will get all rattled up for negative comments in forums not directed at them, but their beloved companies?

I dislike slideshow urls - but this is a pretty nice summary of the Intel x299 boards that will soon hit the ground running.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3198...s-counterparts-for-core-i9-and-skylake-x.html

I was thinking threadripper, as my next upgrade from my 4770k, but with this big CPU lineup for the new x299 boards I'm leaning back toward Intel for my next upgrade. The ability to buy something competitive and reasonably priced now like the 7800x for $389, and use it for a few years, and then without changing motherboards -- have have so many CPU options on the same board to buy used in the future is a big boon! Maybe 7800x now (6 cores) and then a 7920x (12 cores) in 3-4 years for ~ $400 used on ebay. Sounds pretty lucrative. I live next to a microcenter - so assuming tradition continues - I might be able to get that 7800x for low to mid $300 range with an extra $30 - $50 off a bundled x299 motherboard.

Yikes. Business segment pricing for consumer segment products...

This just solidifies my thoughts that AMD could make a mint with SMP dual socket Ryzen and Threadripper offerings, if they wanted to.

I would love to get an affordable 2x threadripper box!

Here is a tiny X299 board that looks nifty...

20170529_asrock_press_release_x299e-itx_678x452.jpg

It's pretty easy to assume IPC are similar or better than current intel line up. So, why would they price their 8 core that hits 4.5Ghz out of box $60 lower than AMD's 8 core that hits 4Ghz out of box when it will outperform it. Still seems 100 dollars high but these are all halo products intel wants to make money, Intel does it in spades while AMD doesn't so gotta assume they've at least thought it though, in terms of projected actual sales of product not good pr.

As far as PCIe lanes, you have to have a very specific build in mind to actually saturate 28 PCIe 3.0 lanes in which you'd need more lanes. Ofc it's easy to want more PCIe lanes but wants are not needs. Will people hit that? Absolutely, especially with the price of this crap the people who lay down that much for a cpu are the same people who buy sas controllers etc.

You are also forgetting about 2-3 .m2 cards with each using 4 lanes, unless motherboard vendors do the awful workaround of disabling SATA ports to free up extra bandwidth.

So I stopped following hardware news for the past couple months. So is this i9 supposed to be the replacement for i7 extremes?

The non-XTREEEM versions are already riding 140W...is the 18 core going to simply implode into a ball of fusing plasma on power up? Do I need to look into aftermarket magnetic containment options? These are pertinent questions!

I dislike slideshow urls - but this is a pretty nice summary of the Intel x299 boards that will soon hit the ground running.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3198...s-counterparts-for-core-i9-and-skylake-x.html

I was thinking threadripper, as my next upgrade from my 4770k, but with this big CPU lineup for the new x299 boards I'm leaning back toward Intel for my next upgrade. The ability to buy something competitive and reasonably priced now like the 7800x for $389, and use it for a few years, and then without changing motherboards -- have have so many CPU options on the same board to buy used in the future is a big boon! Maybe 7800x now (6 cores) and then a 7920x (12 cores) in 3-4 years for ~ $400 used on ebay. Sounds pretty lucrative. I live next to a microcenter - so assuming tradition continues - I might be able to get that 7800x for low to mid $300 range with an extra $30 - $50 off a bundled x299 motherboard.

Thats a great point, now there are a ton of great used xeons that you can cheaply put in a x99 board, that would be a good plan for x299 too after a few years.

And again, reading comprehension, bub, I mentioned the Athlon 64, but to make your case, you do have to warp it.

That only fanbois will get all rattled up for negative comments in forums not directed at them, but their beloved companies?

I didn't warp anything? You said Intel was doing illegal things in the Athlon 64 days and I said you had the choice, but picked Intel, you then stated Intel was the only choice because you couldn't get anything else. What did I warp? Being serious.

Didn't get rattled up, I replied with calm responses to insults towards people because of specific purchasing patterns. Not even sure what that has to do with anything and I only stated that making statements like that are what actually define fanbois.

The non-XTREEEM versions are already riding 140W...is the 18 core going to simply implode into a ball of fusing plasma on power up? Do I need to look into aftermarket magnetic containment options? These are pertinent questions!
The TDP of the Xeon is still 140W clocked at 2.2/3.0 GHz. The i9 is probably going to be clocked higher, though. I think I heard something about a 180W TDP earlier? Still wouldn't beat the TDP of the FX-9590 at 220W.

I didn't warp anything? You said Intel was doing illegal things in the Athlon 64 days and I said you had the choice, but picked Intel, you then stated Intel was the only choice because you couldn't get anything else. What did I warp? Being serious.

Didn't get rattled up, I replied with calm responses to insults towards people because of specific purchasing patterns. Not even sure what that has to do with anything and I only stated that making statements like that are what actually define fanbois.
This is way off topic just because you want it to be.

I simply said that intel fanbois will buy intel regardless of whatever option are out there.

Simple as that, which does apply to a fanboi's modus operandi. yet you took it and ran with it, which is funny, if the label doesnt apply to you nor your name was called, why it still bothered you that much that you continue this clearly off topic responses?

As they say, if the shoe fits...

Last edited:
This is way off topic just because you want it to be.

I simply said that intel fanbois will buy intel regardless of whatever option are out there.

Simple as that, which does apply to a fanboi's modus operandi. yet you took it and ran with it, which is funny, if the label doesnt apply to you nor your name was called, why it still bothered you that much that you continue this clearly off topic responses?

As they say, if the show fits...

I don't think you even know where you are going anymore. Good luck with that.

It's Phase Change Processing! Cutting edge stuff! Read the marketing brochure!

I wonder what they sacrificed to make the space. m.2 slots? USB headers? VRM phases?
USB might not take much space, but is possible, not sure about the VRM and the m.2 has being placed on the under side of the mobos in other occasions.

Last edited:
It looks like some of the highest-end motherboards will include a third party 10Gb ethernet controller.

Back