Intel Core i9-12900K, i7-12700K, i5-12600K Specs, Pricing & New TDP!

Competitive again! Reminds me of Zen2 vs 10th gen - trading blows on both sides. Good to have choices. Leaning towards sticking with my current platforms - don't need additional horsepower on my current intel consumer system (gaming only), and my HEDT boxes are far more multi-threaded than even the 12900k can handle, and I really don't like first year operating systems. Can't wait to see what the refresh holds next year - the 10th gen systems I have will be up for refresh then, and I want to see what x699 offers :D

Those power draw and temperature numbers are indeed painful to look at but those are only applicable to extreme workloads like Blender and such that push the CPU to its absolute maximum. In gaming the power draw is along the lines of their Ryzen equivalents.

The biggest problem I'm seeing is the lack of LGA1700 brackets for existing coolers. I don't feel like buying a new cooler just because there's a new socket. You'd think this would have been addressed a while ago.

I get it that they want you to buy new coolers but my old one is still functional.

The biggest problem I'm seeing is the lack of LGA1700 brackets for existing coolers. I don't feel like buying a new cooler just because there's a new socket. You'd think this would have been addressed a while ago.

I get it that they want you to buy new coolers but my old one is still functional.

i thought i read that existing coolers might have an issue with cooling alder lake cpus because of the height of the cpu or something hence the delay?

I had a 12700K pre-ordered through B&H. But I was able to get one from Best Buy this morning for $30 less. And My girlfriend put it on her Best Buy card which conservatively estimated---should net us at least $50 in store credit rewards.

Love the gaming performance/power consumption not loving the rendering/power consumption which will run constantly and heat up the room.

I have no clue why some brands are so behind on this. Noctua has been shipping LGA 1700 mounting hardware with new coolers---for a couple of months. And people whom already own their coolers have been able to order them for as long.

I'm sure some brands wanted you to panick and buy a brand new cooler.

But my AIO is from EK and they don't even have a new AIO product to buy and haven't officially announced 1700 conversion kits. I may not be able to use my 12700k for a couple of weeks....

I have no clue why some brands are so behind on this. Noctua has been shipping LGA 1700 mounting hardware with new coolers---for a couple of months. And people whom already own their coolers have been able to order them for as long.

I'm sure some brands wanted you to panick and buy a brand new cooler.

But my AIO is from EK and they don't even have a new AIO product to buy and haven't officially announced 1700 conversion kits. I may not be able to use my 12700k for a couple of weeks....

Yeah, same EK AIO here (360mm version). No bracket available.

can someone explain in simple terms what the fast and slow cores do or help with pc's and gaming. I read that this core is actually slower in some games and applications anyway.

Given a little time, I'm sure the companies that can offer a bracket to retrofit existing coolers will do so. We had the same issues when AM4 launched and anything that wasn't using the traditional 754/939/AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+ clip-style retainer required new brackets.

Given a little time, I'm sure the companies that can offer a bracket to retrofit existing coolers will do so. We had the same issues when AM4 launched and anything that wasn't using the traditional 754/939/AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+ clip-style retainer required new brackets.

That's the point though. It's not like the specs for LGA1700 haven't been known for a while. So it's not like this launch should be catching companies by surprise.

Something that should not be overlooked is the frame time improvements. The difference between the 12900K and 5950X is quite stark in most cases.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-12900k-alder-lake-12th-gen/19.html

Another thing to look out for is that it appears some tasks are being scheduled to the wrong cores, which can impact performance negatively.
I think its pretty likely that the scheduler will be improved. Probably within a couple of months.

I had a 12700K pre-ordered through B&H. But I was able to get one from Best Buy this morning for $30 less. And My girlfriend put it on her Best Buy card which conservatively estimated---should net us at least $50 in store credit rewards.
I also had a GIGABYTE Z690I AORUS ULTRA DDR4 pre-ordered through B&H. But....they haven't received them yet. So I canceled that as well and then bought the same motherboard from Newegg, where it was in-stock.

While its nice to see some competition, I am glad that it doesn't completely BTFO AMD's 5000 series either, even on the high end for both single or multicore. I admit I've been pleased that Intel has finally had to deal with actually competing on both price and performance and I really didn't want this to be something of a fluke when the next architectual change from Intel would bring it back to completely dominating (and resting on their laurels because of it, while jacking prices and limiting features). One thing I do have to hand to Intel that, besides DDR5 (which is expensive and of limited benefit so far, I'm sure that will change down the line) they just have better I/O features than AMD thus far. I was disappointed when the Zen3 boards , even high end ones, didn't come with USB4+ / Thunderbolt 4 compatibility - its time to be done with all of this "USB 3.x Gen X" nonsense and just move on. Intel now has USB4 / Thunderbolt 4, PCI-E 5.0, up to 10gig ethernet, WiFi 6E etc...which is nice to see. I can only hope that AMD gets on it ASAP because these are the kind of features that can matter in the long term for ancillary options (ie I would have loved to see the Cezanne low power mobile/embedded 5800 APU with USB4/TB4 that would mean the ability to connect external GPUs at full power etc) or just plain look outdated.

I am curious of AlderLake how it will be used in a HEDT alternative if at all (ie will it still be P an E cores?), but I'm perhaps most interested in seeing if the modest competition will be pressed back when the AMD Zen3 VCache models arrive. Many theorize that both single and multicore benefits of the VCache versions plus other refinements will mean a moderate yet significant benefit. I do wish these wouldn't take until 2022 to release, though - its a bit frustrating they couldn't be sold during the holidays, given how long it has been since the Zen3 setup has arrived. I am wondering if they will come accompanied by updated motherboards that offer more of the features we see on Alder Lake (including things like USB4). Looking at the increased prices of things like higher end motherboards, it does seem to me that the Intel versions sometimes seem to get "more/better stuff" lately, which makes no sense given up until now AMD has been the winner for a few generations. For instance, the top likely Alder Lake board is a Asus ROG Maximus Extreme / Extreme Glacial (with built in EK monoblock), compared to the top Crosshair Dark Hero for Zen3. I guess we'll see what happens when VCache shows up? If those are performant enough and have some new features to retain the choice for most workloads, gaming, and the like then waiting until next fall for the Zen4 overhaul with PCI-E 5.0 and DDR5 won't be so bad - however, I do want to see them improve things like I/O and ancillary features with the VCache chips boards as they will only appear to lag further behind without some updates.

That's the point though. It's not like the specs for LGA1700 haven't been known for a while. So it's not like this launch should be catching companies by surprise.
I think they are just surprised that it’s worth buying and seems to exist in store shelves.

Lel, AMD isn't going to cut their prices, they don't even set their prices. Everyone's buying everything, and Intel isn't pulling ahead as much as they are side by side.

AMD might cut their prices when the 3D stacked chips ship, or not. I could see them trying to milk things for that much more longer before Apple starts getting competitive.

Tech Jesus and LTT are acting like $1 means the same thing to AMD as it does Intel. It does not. It means much, much more to AMD, and almost nothing to Intel. Intel will bleed money and try to sell a parity-level product at a loss to retain market share. AMD will happily cater to the scalper market for nickels and dimes.

AMD won't shift their pricing over this, and they'll both continue to enjoy earnings. But recognize that for AMD, those margins represent a whole lot more, for future R&D, for future marketing, for future everything.

I know this is a bit cynical but perhaps they don't care because they know those people with money burning a hole in their pocket will just buy something (hopefully one of their other coolers!) right now.

Lel, AMD isn't going to cut their prices, they don't even set their prices. Everyone's buying everything, and Intel isn't pulling ahead as much as they are side by side.

AMD might cut their prices when the 3D stacked chips ship, or not. I could see them trying to milk things for that much more longer before Apple starts getting competitive.

Tech Jesus and LTT are acting like $1 means the same thing to AMD as it does Intel. It does not. It means much, much more to AMD, and almost nothing to Intel. Intel will bleed money and try to sell a parity-level product at a loss to retain market share. AMD will happily cater to the scalper market for nickels and dimes.

AMD won't shift their pricing over this, and they'll both continue to enjoy earnings. But recognize that for AMD, those margins represent a whole lot more, for future R&D, for future marketing, for future everything.
The 12600k nearly crushes the 5800x for at least $100 less and completely nullifies the 5600x at the same price. The 12700k solidly beats the 5900x for at least $100 less. Its only the 5950x which Intel hasn't fully beaten, in full multicore. But the 12900k is over $200 cheaper, and does win in gaming and most lightly threaded stuff.

While its nice to see some competition, I am glad that it doesn't completely BTFO AMD's 5000 series either, even on the high end for both single or multicore. I admit I've been pleased that Intel has finally had to deal with actually competing on both price and performance and I really didn't want this to be something of a fluke when the next architectual change from Intel would bring it back to completely dominating (and resting on their laurels because of it, while jacking prices and limiting features). One thing I do have to hand to Intel that, besides DDR5 (which is expensive and of limited benefit so far, I'm sure that will change down the line) they just have better I/O features than AMD thus far. I was disappointed when the Zen3 boards , even high end ones, didn't come with USB4+ / Thunderbolt 4 compatibility - its time to be done with all of this "USB 3.x Gen X" nonsense and just move on. Intel now has USB4 / Thunderbolt 4, PCI-E 5.0, up to 10gig ethernet, WiFi 6E etc...which is nice to see. I can only hope that AMD gets on it ASAP because these are the kind of features that can matter in the long term for ancillary options (ie I would have loved to see the Cezanne low power mobile/embedded 5800 APU with USB4/TB4 that would mean the ability to connect external GPUs at full power etc) or just plain look outdated.
Thunderbolt is an Intel product - AMD has generally declined to license it, while a couple of motherboard companies have and added it anyway. It's not cheap - still a little surprised that Apple is paying for it with the M series.
I am curious of AlderLake how it will be used in a HEDT alternative if at all (ie will it still be P an E cores?), but I'm perhaps most interested in seeing if the modest competition will be pressed back when the AMD Zen3 VCache models arrive. Many theorize that both single and multicore benefits of the VCache versions plus other refinements will mean a moderate yet significant benefit. I do wish these wouldn't take until 2022 to release, though - its a bit frustrating they couldn't be sold during the holidays, given how long it has been since the Zen3 setup has arrived. I am wondering if they will come accompanied by updated motherboards that offer more of the features we see on Alder Lake (including things like USB4). Looking at the increased prices of things like higher end motherboards, it does seem to me that the Intel versions sometimes seem to get "more/better stuff" lately, which makes no sense given up until now AMD has been the winner for a few generations. For instance, the top likely Alder Lake board is a Asus ROG Maximus Extreme / Extreme Glacial (with built in EK monoblock), compared to the top Crosshair Dark Hero for Zen3. I guess we'll see what happens when VCache shows up? If those are performant enough and have some new features to retain the choice for most workloads, gaming, and the like then waiting until next fall for the Zen4 overhaul with PCI-E 5.0 and DDR5 won't be so bad - however, I do want to see them improve things like I/O and ancillary features with the VCache chips boards as they will only appear to lag further behind without some updates.
There were ultra high-end boards for AMD in the early days of x570 - that's a limited market though, and so several of them were discontinued after 6-12 months of sales. Asus did make a WB version for x570 - as did Gigabyte. With piles of addons, including 10g cards and M2 expanders/etc. In time though, since hte platform stuck around for several years, they were just discontinued - not many people buying them after 12 months (that tended to be more budget minded).

Yep. BB appears to have best price on 12900K too at $619 when in stock. And there will be stock, this won't be a Zen3 launch situation with scalping and supply constraint for half a year.

We have a new king - faster than 5950X at pretty much everything, for less money. And only barely more expensive than 5900X.

I know this is a bit cynical but perhaps they don't care because they know those people with money burning a hole in their pocket will just buy something (hopefully one of their other coolers!) right now.

Yeah, I guess so.

There were ultra high-end boards for AMD in the early days of x570 - that's a limited market though, and so several of them were discontinued after 6-12 months of sales. Asus did make a WB version for x570 - as did Gigabyte. With piles of addons, including 10g cards and M2 expanders/etc. In time though, since hte platform stuck around for several years, they were just discontinued - not many people buying them after 12 months (that tended to be more budget minded).
Spot on. people love the HALO CPUs, but anybody who spends any time in a forum knows people will "cheap out" on a board. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-Computer-Motherboards/zgbs/pc/1048424

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
No it doesn't. Only if you're looking at 720p stuff. That $100 "MSRP" is completely irrelevant when you look at the whole system cost.

Not to mention, I've seen reports that low/mid tier LGA1700 boards throttle chips because of weak VRMs. You either pay up, or you don't get the performance.

I'd definitely wait for a review if you're not spending $350-400+ on a board.

The 12600k nearly crushes the 5800x for at least $100 less and completely nullifies the 5600x at the same price. The 12700k solidly beats the 5900x for at least $100 less. Its only the 5950x which Intel hasn't fully beaten, in full multicore. But the 12900k is over $200 cheaper, and does win in gaming and most lightly threaded stuff.
Yep. AMD needs to drop 5950X to $599 and 5900X $429 if Lisa Su doesn't want to start missing mortgage payments.

Last edited:
Not to mention, I've seen reports that low/mid tier LGA1700 boards throttle chips because of weak VRMs. You either pay up, or you don't get the performance.

Once you correct for retail fluctuations -- which is ridiculously hard right now, I'm not saying otherwise -- you ultimately always get what you pay for. There can be a little flex, and people also buy stuff they don't need, paying more and getting less, or don't buy what they need, paying less and not meeting their requirements, but overall, the prices determine the performance.

Now, like I said before, Intel is willing to sell at a loss right now, or at least appear to. They're happy to recapture market share if it means passing the savings onto motherboard and RAM companies.

I believe that for some users, Intel is the right move. Just the same, for others, AMD is the right choice. But when people say it's a total knockout for one side or the other, they're usually showing a bias. Because no one leaves money on the table. Performance is the price.

What I can't find in any reviews is 12900K benchmarks OC'd at 5.x GHz. Because I certainly wouldnt buy it to run stock, and would be running at 5.0 - 5.2 depending on silicon lottery.

Stock for stock is the appropriare apples to apples test for reviews, but ignores the fact Intel has more OC headroom than AMD almost always.

No it doesn't. Only if you're looking at 720p stuff. That $100 "MSRP" is completely irrelevant when you look at the whole system cost.
According to Techpowerup's results-----the only places a 12600k doesn't beat a 5800x, is superpi, wprime, and their encryption tests. The 5800x definitely has a big advantage for those encryption tests.

Techpowerup hasn't posted a DDR5 Vs. DDR4 test yet. But the 12600k beats the 5800x is most of their games. And Toms hardware shows that DDR4 is actually better in gaming. So, a 12600k with DDR4 likely beats a 5800x in just about every game.

According to Techpowerup's results-----the only places a 12600k doesn't beat a 5800x, is superpi, wprime, and their encryption tests. The 5800x definitely has a big advantage for those encryption tests.

Techpowerup hasn't posted a DDR5 Vs. DDR4 test yet. But the 12600k beats the 5800x is most of their games. And Toms hardware shows that DDR4 is actually better in gaming. So, a 12600k with DDR4 likely beats a 5800x in just about every game.

But anandtech just showed the gaming improvements with DDR5? WTF? 1080P?
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1704...ybrid-performance-brings-hybrid-complexity/12

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1704...ybrid-performance-brings-hybrid-complexity/12

There's a better look at "gaming." I guess ironically, the difference between DDR4 and DDR5 is similar to the difference between the top end AMD CPUs and the new Intel ones? Does that mean that current AMD architecture with DDR5 would already be at parity with the new Intel CPUs?
Interesting. Toms Hardware showed DDR5 regression in Windows 10 and DDR4 doing better with games even in W11.

Back