Intel Core i9-11900K "Rocket Lake" Boosts Up To 5.30 GHz, Say Rumored Specs

Funny how Amd comes around and owns Intels ass and all the sudden intel is finding 20 percent uplift on one release. Where as before it was a 5 percent or so year after year.
how'd they find it?

Looks like the real world promises of 'up to 19% ipc gains' fall flat. The direct quote from Intel Via Anandtech on gaming is as follows, remember this is direct from INTEL:

"For performance, Intel is claiming a +2% to +9% gain in average frame rates in a variety of modern games (Gears of War 5, Cyberpunk 2077, Watchdogs Legion, Farcry New Dawn) at 1080p in either High or Ultra settings." -Anandtech

full article here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1639...-rocket-lake-core-i911900k-and-z590-coming-q1

If Intels own forecast holds true, this is a huge letdown from expectations.

+2% with a 5.3ghz boost frequency... What's this say about the purported IPC increase? I really expected Intel to start swinging back again by now, seems it'll be another year at least.

Looks like the real world promises of 'up to 19% ipc gains' fall flat. The direct quote from Intel Via Anandtech on gaming is as follows, remember this is direct from INTEL:

"For performance, Intel is claiming a +2% to +9% gain in average frame rates in a variety of modern games (Gears of War 5, Cyberpunk 2077, Watchdogs Legion, Farcry New Dawn) at 1080p in either High or Ultra settings." -Anandtech

full article here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1639...-rocket-lake-core-i911900k-and-z590-coming-q1

If Intels own forecast holds true, this is a huge letdown from expectations.
Hey, +2 to +9 percent is "up to 19%", but we all knew that going in.

erek again, slides,provided by Intel, of course they will make their product look good, not actual real life benchmarks run by an actual reputable websites. Wait until they are in the hands of real people to test them.

Funny how Amd comes around and owns Intels ass and all the sudden intel is finding 20 percent uplift on one release. Where as before it was a 5 percent or so year after year.
Well, it is a new architecture, so this isn't just their slight product refresh. So I am hoping that this is essentially V1 for whatever they are coming up with for their future mass-produced 10nm stuff.

erek again, slides,provided by Intel, of course they will make their product look good, not actual real life benchmarks run by an actual reputable websites. Wait until they are in the hands of real people to test them.
Pretty sure they only used that one 'popular benchmark game' that they already beat AMD in currently for some of their amazing numbers xD

Well, it is a new architecture, so this isn't just their slight product refresh. So I am hoping that this is essentially V1 for whatever they are coming up with for their future mass-produced 10nm stuff.
Intels "up to 19 percent" comes out of thin air and their own gaming benchmarks are 2-8 percent so this 19 looks to be marketing hype or a hidden one off benchmark at best. Certainly not backed up by any "published" benchmarks in the intel press releases so far.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing these price points for 11th Gen CPUs and the actual benchamrks.
To echo what other people seem to be saying, I'm holding onto my 9700k because the 10th gen had no noticeable difference on gaming whatsoever.

I'm still more than happy with my OC'd 8700k. I'm gaming at 4K, so it's not like the processor really matters anyway. Unless you're rocking a 6-series there isn't much motivation to upgrade to either side outside of PCIE 4.0. For gaming at least. I wouldn't mind having something juicier for work.

small_11900K-specs.jpg

It's still using the UHD iGPU - hoping it will have actually improved over the current UHD iGPU that is nearing half a decade in age...

Wait...so that 5.3ghz is only for a single core?

On top of that, I9 is still gutted to 8 cores now with an all core boost of only 4.8ghz. We shall see if they can be overclocked any. I'd hope for at least 5 ghz all core.

Wait...so that 5.3ghz is only for a single core?

On top of that, I9 is still gutted to 8 cores now with an all core boost of only 4.8ghz. We shall see if they can be overclocked any. I'd hope for at least 5 ghz all core.
I'm assuming overclocked also but that will blow straight past PL2.

AMD only has shortages concerns Intel is barely moving the needle.

7% ST advantage but with an 8-9% clock speed advantage. It is more juiced up than an Olympic athlete who's parents have unrealistically high expectations of him/her.

they dropped two cores to push clocks up a little. the power data will be a disaster.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/amd-ryzen-9-5950x-zen-3-cpu-benchmarks

anyone notice how AMD scores get lower when Intel releases? October 2020 review on a 5950X stock but optimized got 200+ more point.

11900k is 1% faster give or take with 400mhz more. consumes as much power as the 5950x. the 5950x is a power builder/enthusiast HEDT part worth every penny of threadripping light crunching power that beast delivers. the 11900k's only hope is limited availablity on the 5800/5900.

the 5950x is a power builder/enthusiast HEDT part worth every penny of threadripping light crunching power that beast delivers. the 11900k's only hope is limited availablity on the 5800/5900.
Well, most people don't need an $800+ CPU they can't even buy.

And that's to say nothing of the OC headaches with Ryzen. I just went through this recently with a 5900X, the amount of minutiae involved to get it dialed in without hamfisted PBO overvolting the thing was hours upon hours of time, versus three buttonclicks in a Z490 Bios for an easy 5.2Ghz allcore on a 10700k, and flawless 4400Mhz memory with zero config required.

Zen3 is a beast to be sure, and essential for the market, but 5800X is priced too high, and you can't buy 5900/5950, so I'd say Intel isn't looking bad - and not just for availability reasons.

Last edited:
Well, most people don't need an $800+ CPU they can't even buy.

And that's to say nothing of the OC headaches with Ryzen. I just went through this recently with a 5900X, the amount of minutiae involved to get it dialed in without hamfisted PBO overvolting the thing was hours upon hours of time, versus three buttonclicks in a Z490 Bios for an easy 5.2Ghz allcore on a 10700k, and flawless 4400Mhz memory with zero config required.

Zen3 is a beast to be sure, and essential for the market, but 5800X is priced too high, and you can't buy 5900/5950, so I'd say Intel isn't looking bad - and not just for availability reasons.

The 5900+ are enthusiast parts for a particular user to benefit, they are intrinsically Threadrippers and given Intel has nothing to match they command a price based on unrivaled performance.

The 5800X has been great value for 6-7 months and will still be close enough in gaming and will win on efficiency in that 4.7-4.8ghz can match Intel at 5.3ghz without breaking power limits.

We really need the 5600, 5500, 5300 series now and I believe it will come on refreshes along with XT's in the 5600X and up parts

overclocking is far better when rewarding and noticeable, Intel click overclocking is boring, tweaking AMD memory subtimings is a lot of fun.

I got a 5600X and B450 board drop in 3600mhz memory and it works easy peasy no Z or X boards needed

Zen3's only only a bit faster than "outdated" Skylake, and AMD’s official number for 5950x is “5%” faster, owing much of that to PCIE 4.0. Rocket Lake with new arch and PCIE 4.0 will make short work of it. Leaks showing 10-11% IPC boost, Intel claiming "double-digits" officially.

While the FOMO herd is fighting over Zen3 and you can't find a CPU in stock, Rocket Lake could be a great or even superior alternative - especially for gaming focused builds, and if they can get them out in sufficient numbers.

I got tired of needing a whole new platform any time I wanted to upgrade my Intel CPU - or needing to buy a new CPU any time I wanted a better platform. Too many years where they rehashed the same CPUs on different platforms, with the difference being mostly IPC gains on the new architecture...grabbing a 3700x and building an AMD system felt so good.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Made me look it up. So this is Cypress Cove produced on 14nm. I had always assumed it was yet another Skylake refresh. I guess that explains the gains they were able to make. Makes me excited to see what Alder Lake brings.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Back