Intel Core i9-10900K 10-core Processor and Z490 Chipset Arrive April 2020

erek

[H]F Junkie
Intel is supposedly bringing the competition to AMD with this offering!

"HyperThreading will play a big role in making Intel's processor lineup competitive with AMD's given that the underlying microarchitecture offers an identical core design to "Skylake" circa 2015. The entry-level Core i3 chips will be 4-core/8-thread, Core i5 6-core/12-thread, Core i7 8-core/16-thread; and leading the pack will be the Core i9-10900K, a 10-core/20-thread processor. According to a WCCFTech report, this processor will debut in April 2020, which means at CES 2020 in January, we'll get to see some of the first socket LGA1200 motherboards, some even based on the Z490. The platform also mentions an interesting specification: "enhanced core and memory overclocking." This could be the secret ingredient that makes the i9-10900K competitive with the likes of the Ryzen 9 3900X. The LGA1200 platform could be forwards-compatible with "Rocket Lake," which could herald IPC increases on the platform by implementing "Willow Cove" CPU cores."

https://www.techpowerup.com/261987/...-processor-and-z490-chipset-arrive-april-2020

I wonder what the TDP will be because all I do is air cool.

Last edited:
is this skylave v4 or 5? i always forget

also are they really going to get people to buy in for a new socket on a new platform?

wow.

How many ++++++ will this one be?
When all they really talk about is overclocking, they're probably already losing out of the gate. Fury anyone?

My 7820x setup is more than I could need for several more years, but seeing increases in IPC is always nice. One thing I’ll never understand is the AMD fanboys losing their cherrios over intel products. Simply buy the best product available for your needs regardless of brand.

My 7820x setup is more than I could need for several more years, but seeing increases in IPC is always nice. One thing I’ll never understand is the AMD fanboys losing their cherrios over intel products. Simply buy the best product available for your needs regardless of brand.

There wasn't even an AMD reference until you posted one...nor anyone "losing their cherrios [sic]"

Pointing out 14nm++++++++ or skylake v5 isn't being an AMD fanboy.

If we're real lucky, maybe this will be 22nm.

giphy.gif

I don't see how anyone can claim competition if we don't know prices.

Also, why was IPC increase hyperlinked?? Rocket Lake is a totally different subject and it is misleading.

Owner of a 7940x here. As you say, it's a tool: buy the one that will do what you need. When the tool stops working for what you do, consider obtaining a new tool. Sometimes people get over-invested in their manufacturer of tools, or feel compelled to extol the virtue of their choice of tool even when it's not the best fit for someone else's work. It's best to leave these people alone and to go about your day talking with others, sharing perspectives, and learning as much as you can.

I own a Ryzen 1700 and a pennies-on-the-dollar LGA2011 X79T build too. There's generally no need for ideological rigidity about computer hardware.

I don't see how anyone can claim competition if we don't know prices.

Also, why was IPC increase hyperlinked?? Rocket Lake is a totally different subject and it is misleading.
The hyperlink is in the source article, and it goes directly to the subject of the sentence it's in.

Another chipset? My Z390 is EOL I guess.

Another chipset is ok, that doesn't kill the old one. But another socket does. This is what 3 years in a row with a new socket? basically make a real mess of this.

My only interest in Intel 10 series, is that they are supposed to enable Hyper Threading across the line, like the should have done for 9 series, though that is looking like "too little, too late".

How is hyperthreading making it competitive? Its not like AMD chips lack SMT.

Will the new chipset have PCI-E Gen 4 finally?

It has 2 more cores and some chipset refreshes on a new chipset altogether, I am sure the Intel benchtestsuite #realworldtests will show this to be faster than their previous generation. I sense more disappointment on the way.

How is hyperthreading making it competitive? Its not like AMD chips lack SMT.

Welcome to Intel market segmentation. i5 chips are, for the most part, i7s without hyperthreading. So your i5 is, say 4c/4t whereas the i7 version is 4c/8t. You would go with the i5 if you didn't want to pay for hyperthreading.

I'm assuming that Intel is believing that having more threads available across their lineup makes them more competitive with AMD, which has products awash with real cores (and threads) across the board, but belief of competitive doesn't mean competitive in actuality.

Who is losing their Cherrios? Its intel that lost its cheerios. The Intel Fanboys were put out to the pasture with Intel's excellent marketing. This reminds me of all the AMD Fanboys playing with Handbrake and 7 Zip on their Bulldozers so they can feel good about something because that's all that was going for them. To be fair, competition has been absent for 7 years so its not a bad thing... Unless you like 4 cores and 8 threads in 2020.

No mention on process size? Meanwhile AMD is gearing up for 5nm. 0_o

I'll more than likely stick with my 6700K for a couple of more years.

How do you guys refer to these SKUs in conversation? "Core i9 Ten-K-9...K?"

10-9-80 10-900

14nm.. 7nm won't be til late 2020, early 2021. amd will hit 5nm some time in 2021 but remember TSMC node marketing so we'll see just how close it really is to 5nm or if it's another glofo 14nm vs 12nm which really wasn't a process reduction.

...underlying microarchitecture offers an identical core design to "Skylake" circa 2015.

It's another revision of Skylake which makes it 14nm.

If we're real lucky, maybe this will be 22nm.

Perhaps this is their first chiplet part.

22nm memory controller... attached to a 14nm++super++ chiplet

Ok not even a funny joke I guess. Its starting to feel like kicking a guy when hes down now.

Get in on a 5nm 5000 Ryzen when they launch 6 months after his Intel part. Should be a new AM5 slot, and be a good time to go AMD.

Get in on a 5nm 5000 Ryzen when they launch 6 months after his Intel part. Should be a new AM5 slot, and be a good time to go AMD.

If the performance upgrade is a huge leap forward, say, 2x I may.

If the performance upgrade is a huge leap forward, say, 2x I may.

Guess it depends what your looking to do you could argue a 8 core 3700x is already 2x a 6700k. If you an get by with 4 core for a couple more years your probably don't have much need for 12 16 or more cores I guess.

Guess it depends what your looking to do you could argue a 8 core 3700x is already 2x a 6700k. If you an get by with 4 core for a couple more years your probably don't have much need for 12 16 or more cores I guess.

I don't do any heavy threaded stuff other than the occasional Adobe Photoshop painting, most of the games I play now days aren't very demanding either. I looked at the 3700x on the gaming side and saw no reason to upgrade from a 6700K, much of the reviews I read had it at a downgrade as far as gaming was concerned.

Back