Intel Core i9-10900K - 10 Core Is Coming

He didn't say it was better. The claim was it was only good for gaming... the truth is that it's good for everything else too. Maybe not the best, but still good.

At least when the AMD crowd used the "it's good enough" argument with Zen(+) it was cheaper than the Intel parts. Now the Intel crowd using the "It's good enough" argument have a price problem.

Well the same applied to the phenom.

You're right. I enjoyed having the couple of Phenoms I did have. Even still have a X2 modded into a quad core running some things in the garage.

At least when the AMD crowd used the "it's good enough" argument with Zen(+) it was cheaper than the Intel parts. Now the Intel crowd using the "It's good enough" argument have a price problem.

No argument from me on price. I bought a 7960X then realized I could get a 1950X and have nearly the same performance for much cheaper. So I did. I bought an extra 1080TI with the savings and still had money left over.

However, if someone wants to stick with Intel for some reason then they'll still have decent performance doing everything you can do with a computer.

not as good as a $329 part in mult-thread workloads which is like 99% what you would use a computer for.

I would totally disagree with that. 99% of the loads will not use all the threads that a modern 8C / 16T CPU has. Many would usually favor the CPU with the better performance per core.

Seeing that, even while gaming, I usually have quite a few programs open doing stuff, I will need a few cores XD
But hey, i'm still on a 4C/4T-core, soooo whatever Ryzen i'm buying will be... a nice leap XD

I would totally disagree with that. 99% of the loads will not use all the threads that a modern 8C / 16T CPU has. Many would usually favor the CPU with the better performance per core.
So 99% of the programs only use 1 core?

Well the same applied to the phenom.

Phenom was objectively worse across the board. The issue is the "The 9700K is $379 and is only good for games" claim, which could be perceived to flow from the higher gaming performance of Intel parts- in the case of Phenom, it wasn't better at anything. However, I did own one, and it was definitely good enough for a great many things.

When criticizing Zen / Zen+, I did make sure to point out the issues of platform immaturity as part of the reasoning. With everything working right, even an R5 1600 is a great CPU for many things including gaming. Far from the best and nowhere close to the top Intel (and now AMD) parts, but assuming you could get decent RAM and a decent board working together without breaking the bank, it definitely delivered.

But those caveats were wide and real. I chose to avoid them while I watched friends and associates spend weeks trying to get a working system, and more money than if they'd just bought a mature Intel system that would both be faster and work out of the box.

The basic point is that until a heavy and highly multithreaded load is applied, the Intel parts are faster, and games, which are typically the heaviest workload that most consumers run, are faster on Intel. Further, for most consumers, games are the only heavy workload where CPU performance makes a significant difference in end-user experience. One has to shift to specific professional loads to see a meaningful difference from more than eight cores at the most, with most four and six core CPUs being more than enough.

At the end, this means that while Zen 2 parts can deliver better benchmark scores in benchmarks, the difference to most end-users is at parity or even the opposite due to lower clockspeeds.

So 99% of the programs only use 1 core?

No of course not however I would say 99% of applications on a desktop PC don't use 16 threads at 100% (or even 75%) usage. Or even 8 threads at 100% CPU usage. If an application does not utilize the threads to a high degree the CPU with the better per thread performance can easily perform better even though it has less threads.

Last edited:
No of course not however I would say 99% of applications on a desktop PC don't use 16 threads at 100% usage. Or even 8 threads at 100% CPU usage. If it does not the CPU with the better per thread performance can easily perform better even though it has less threads.

That depends heavily on how many "other" programs you have running. The more stuff you have running, the better it is to have more headroom.
Gaming on a "current" 4C at 5GHz can be way worse than on a current 8C at 4GHz if you have enough other stuff that bogs down your 4C.

That depends heavily on how many "other" programs you have running. The more stuff you have running, the better it is to have more headroom.
Gaming on a "current" 4C at 5GHz can be way worse than on a current 8C at 4GHz if you have enough other stuff that bogs down your 4C.

That certainly is true and is an advantage for higher core count CPUs with lower performance per core.

IF that B350 gets a BIOS update, and IF that B350 has sufficient power delivery for a 3950x or 3900x (most don't)

Check the list:

For most B350's it would seem like anything above a 3800x is probably risky.

I love that my ITX B350 board can handle a stock 3950x and OC 3900X. It'll do just that come September.

I love that my ITX B350 board can handle a stock 3950x and OC 3900X. It'll do just that come September.

Yeah, if I didn't need that 8x slot off of the x570 chipset, I would likely get an x470 or x370 to save some money.

That extra 8x slot is the only thing that made Ryzen a feasible choice for me though. Otherwise I was going to have to go with Threadripper.

When you read a book do you high-five yourself for finishing it? No, you read a book to go on a journey. Most people who play SP games are looking for that same vibe. Multiplayer gaming is for people who don't give a shit about stuff like that, they are in it for the adrenaline or occasionally the social aspects of it, constantly chatting with others online while all colluding or competing in some kind of online experience. I'd say there's room for both, but one is not inherently better than the other.

We've seen the split in gaming between, say, the Baseball fans (slower, more sedate) and the basketball fans (faster, action-on all the time). Not sure the industry has figured this out yet however, they seem to want us all to get on board the "JUST KEEP PLAYING THE SAME SHIT EVERY DAY ALL THE TIME! GIT GUD!" train.....personally, I say "Fuck That Shit, I'd rather read a book".

I guess I thrive on competition. Single player games today seem more like watching a movie (ridiculous amount of linear'ness and cut-scenes) than playing a game.

I guess I thrive on competition. Single player games today seem more like watching a movie (ridiculous amount of linear'ness and cut-scenes) than playing a game.
Depends on the game. :)

Wow, I heard the exact same thing 14 years ago. Times change, but the arguments stay the same.

AMD, Nvidia, memory companies and Intel need to have a sit down and discuss naming. Damn its annoying. 3700/5700/9700/2080/2133 - Can we break from numbers of such close pattern please?

Oh yeah in games looks like its got 10 fps with on 9700k but not in multi threaded workloads. Intel is hard purchase considering the cost of their products.

Which is why you should have actually read the first post of mine you quoted. Reading is fundamental after all!

I specifically said its for my GAMING rig. Even the Tech Jesus and other large reviewers are recommending the 9700K over the 3700X for gaming.

Also in the US the 9700K can be found NIB for $329.00.

Which is why you should have actually read the first post of mine you quoted. Reading is fundamental after all!

I specifically said its for my GAMING rig. Even the Tech Jesus and other large reviewers are recommending the 9700K over the 3700X for gaming.

Wouldn't it depend on the resolution?

Wouldn't it depend on the resolution?

It may depending in the game and the resolution. At the extreme end when your fully GPU limited a $1XX i3 can perform as well as a 3900X. Although I am not purchasing the i3.. I want the 3950X if I purchase a Ryzen 3000 series CPU.

Intel lowered their prices WOWzers are these chips still affected by the spectra and intel ME mitigation?

I disagree with the completely fake part. We have known for a long time that Intel plans to have a 10C / 20T mainstream CPU at the next generation. The other details may be fake but I expect the price of the 10C / 20T to be very close. And the 8C / 16T version should also be a $3XX CPU when this is released.

Even a broken fake clock is right twice a day. :troll:

There are certainly games like these, but these are the boring ones.

I'd recommend such open world masterpieces as Prey, Dying Light, many titles in the Far Cry series, (all of the ones I have played thus far except the first one are actually pretty damned good) the Stalker series is amazing too but kind of dated now.

And then there is the Fallout series which can be a bit campy with it's 50's era space age atomic setting, but is also fun.

Then there are some titles which are partly linear, partly open world that I have also enjoyed very much. The Deus Ex Reboots (HR followed by MD) are great. Heck the original from 20 years ago is awesome too, but talk about dated...

I do like the puzzle games. Played both Portals all the way through multiple times. Wish they would make a third.

This has to be fake because where is the new socket and chipset that these will require to run on ?

Oh I agree that it's fake. I was just making a point/joke. Even if bits and pieces of this fake leak are correct, it doesn't make it any less fake IMO. Like a broken clock is still 100% broken even though it's right twice a day.

I still love the sites that are saying this is Intel's answer to Ryzen 3000 series, but in the same thing say these won't be out until 2020... I mean AMD will already be refreshing by the time these fake chips come out and everyone realizes the TDP for an Intel 10/20 part isn't able to stay at 65w... not that they ever stay in their envelope anyways, but come on.

I do like the puzzle games. Played both Portals all the way through multiple times. Wish they would make a third.

Try The Talos Principle from Croteam if you haven't. I really enjoyed it up there with Portal, cant wait for a second.

In a similar but different manner, check out The Witness as well. Doesn’t hold your hand and it’s quite open, somewhat freeform in the order you can tackle the puzzles.

Never played the Talos Principal myself but heard nothing but good things.

I'd recommend such open world masterpieces as Prey, Dying Light, many titles in the Far Cry series, (all of the ones I have played thus far except the first one are actually pretty damned good) the Stalker series is amazing too but kind of dated now.

And then there is the Fallout series which can be a bit campy with it's 50's era space age atomic setting, but is also fun.

Then there are some titles which are partly linear, partly open world that I have also enjoyed very much. The Deus Ex Reboots (HR followed by MD) are great. Heck the original from 20 years ago is awesome too, but talk about dated...

Zar, I knew there was a reason I liked you, because you just listed my favorite games. The only ones you are missing are the Dishonored series, the Borderlands series, and maybe Batman: Arkham City. Oh, and Kitty Kitty Boing Boing: the Happy Adventure in Puzzle Garden!

P.S. I wanted to like Assassin's Creed. Played AC: Odyssey for awhile, but it wasn't clicking. Wanted to like Tomb Raider, but it's a cattle chute with handholding and baby cells. I wanted to like the Thief reboot, but I didn't click with that, either.

P.P.S. Based on the recommendations I went to Steam to check the price of The Talos Principle, and found out I already own it.

P.P.P.S. Commenting on the string that led to your post, I used to play a lot of online multiplayer games, including twitch shooters, until I realized that the assholes were slowly whittling those games down to a single demographic - more assholes.

Last edited:
This thread is so off topic now because when discussing a huge lie that's obviously fake I think everyone with brain cells realized how dumb it is to shoot the shit about a product that never existed. Can we do our jobs and close this thread, please and thank you.

This thread is so off topic now because when discussing a huge lie that's obviously fake I think everyone with brain cells realized how dumb it is to shoot the shit about a product that never existed.

Oooh, off topic... Uh... Wait, wait, hold on. Uh, I also knew the SKU bulletin was fake because Intel's 'Intel Clear' font family is part of a 'serif grotesque' variable-width font system that has distinctive shapes and specific kerning according to font pairing. Notably, in the example given the upper-case 'C' maintains the starboard profile of the upper-case 'O' (and is cut too soon), the lower-case 'r' is not limited to the width of the lower-case 'l', and the lower-case 'l' does not have it's proper swash. Finally, the upper bowl of the lower-case 'a' is ascending, instead of remaining flat into the spine, and all dots or periods appear rounded rather than square. Obviously fake, and leaning towards keming in a few areas.

[whistles off into the dark]

P.S. Men who know typography are quite handsome.

Tomshardware: Rumor Outlines Intel Comet Lake Features, Specifications, and Launch Window

11.png
22.png
33.png

Back