Intel Core i7 980X is So LOUD

Just got the Core i7 980x installed (hats off to my employer for not skimping!) and it's really fast but got damn is it loud. I really need a different cooler. Any 980x users here have a personal recommendation? I searched the forum for "980x Loud" but only got one hit and that was a complaint about the old cooler. Apparently, I have the new cooler which is still loud.

Yes, I know my panties are all in a bunch. :)

Any high end 1366 cooler will do. I assume you're not overclocking so I suggest the Corsair H50. Now, if you are overclocking, that's a different story.

stock clocks? Corsair H50 for $50-$60, maybe some gentle typhoons if you want it quieter

[H]Robertsonian;1036202458 said:
I am not overclocking, but my concern with the H50 is leakage. Is that unreasonable?

theres no chance of leakage unless you cut the lines

This cooler is better than the Corsair H50 and H70.

P1020108.jpg

temps.png

There's a switch on the fan of the stock 980x heatsink for performance or normal/quiet mode, did you try the quiet mode?

be careful of the Ven-X. I bought one and could not fit it in my case. And @Mike211 you have a core i9?

Guys... what is the point of showing him overclocking potential? This sounds like a work machine, and he hasn't mentioned at all about needing to OC it. He just wants it to be quiet. The H50 is more then enough and cheaper then the Venomous-X.

Not sure what board you have, but the V6 is a pretty spectacular cooler for the price. Its quite large and the chipset coolers on alot of boards interfere with it though.

Guys... what is the point of showing him overclocking potential? This sounds like a work machine, and he hasn't mentioned at all about needing to OC it. He just wants it to be quiet. The H50 is more then enough and cheaper then the Venomous-X.

Good point, but as a 'work' machine, he'd get more 'work' done if it were overclocked.

I simply don't understand why some people refuse to overclock. It's like they think it's infectious or nothing; "If I overclock I'll be some crazy kid with a dream."

Honestly.. you could overclock to 4.0Ghz and have a near silent operation at the same time.
And if you don't, you're a fool. It's as simple as that.

Good point, but as a 'work' machine, he'd get more 'work' done if it were overclocked.

I simply don't understand why some people refuse to overclock. It's like they think it's infectious or nothing; "If I overclock I'll be some crazy kid with a dream."

Honestly.. you could overclock to 4.0Ghz and have a near silent operation at the same time.
And if you don't, you're a fool. It's as simple as that.

What part of, "It might be a work machine" is so terribly hard to understand? Let me as an IT guy in your department find out you were overclocking a piece of company property and I'll make sure the next machine you get is something thats running a P1. Have fun oc'ing that.

Just because you can doesnt mean you should. To many people with a false sense of self-entitlement these days.

What part of, "It might be a work machine" is so terribly hard to understand? Let me as an IT guy in your department find out you were overclocking a piece of company property and I'll make sure the next machine you get is something thats running a P1. Have fun oc'ing that.

Just because you can doesnt mean you should. To many people with a false sense of self-entitlement these days.

This.

OP - Bottom line is that you can really use ANY 1366 cooler that incorporates a 120mm fan or greater and it will be better than the stock HSF. It really doesn't matter which one you choose as your not overclocking.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, both of those coolers use the same-sized fan as the stock Intel i7-980X heatsink. As such, neither one of them performs sufficiently better than the stock Intel heatsink to justify their going prices (especially since the stock i7-980X heatsink is already of a tower design with a 92mm fan).

Cogage True Spirit is arguably the best bang/buck HSF for i7s.

I second this. The Cogage True Spirit may not look like much, but it is one impressive cooler that is pretty quiet. Especially if you catch it on sale, it is a tremendous bargain from it already being a bargain at regular price. This baby is unofficially the HSF of our HardOCP folding team because it is so impressive. More of us use this cooler than anything else whether we are cooling a Lynnfield, Bloomfield, Gulftown, or Westmere Xeon processor.

[H]Robertsonian;1036202424 said:
Just got the Core i7 980x installed (hats off to my employer for not skimping!) and it's really fast but got damn is it loud.

I assume you do not have automatic fan speed adjustment on.

And why would you react that way?

How does self-entitlement even play into this? That seems like a popular buzz word people like to throw around these days but it doesn't really apply here.

Unless the PC is running some sort of production environment, database and/or server of some sort, there would be no harm in overclocking the processor. Particularly if the work you are doing requires CPU intensive work.

There's no harm in it unless the company policy states that is isn't allowed. Corporate environments don't have enough time in the day to deal with normal computer problems that crop up, let alone dealing with someone that decided to oc their machine and burnt out the cpu or motherboard or what have you. If the company is paying for it, it's not your computer to play around with. Do it on your own time on your own system at home if you feel the need to oc that much.

As for the OP, I think all the coolers suggested here should give you quite a field to make a decision on. They would all serve you well.

There's no harm in it unless the company policy states that is isn't allowed. Corporate environments don't have enough time in the day to deal with normal computer problems that crop up, let alone dealing with someone that decided to oc their machine and burnt out the cpu or motherboard or what have you. If the company is paying for it, it's not your computer to play around with. Do it on your own time on your own system at home if you feel the need to oc that much.

As for the OP, I think all the coolers suggested here should give you quite a field to make a decision on. They would all serve you well.
Well ultimately it doesn't even matter, no corporate PCs are going to have motherboards or BIOS options to allow for overclocking, and if they did, it would most likely be a custom one-off PC that was built for that purpose (there was a guy on these forums building a water-cooled i7 for intensive db work).

The H50/H70 is VERY unlikely to leak unless its somehow damaged. Anything possible but I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a stock cooler on a i7 975/P6T6 and with the CPU Q-Fan control set to standard noise is minimal. Cooler is set to performance and the bios adjusts for load. Even gaming it is tolerable/quiet in an FT02 case.

I saw this thread and was like wtf how is the processor loud.

You are using the default HSF thats why. I didnt know people still used the default HSF under any circumstances. Bleh.

Dont they make a 1366 passive cooler now? let me see if I can find the link.

The CM Hyper 212+ is an excellent cooler for a low price, even if you're doing light overclocking. If you aren't overclocking at all I'd definitely recommend it for silent operation. The H50 is total overkill.

Back