Intel Core i7 920 Overclocking and Heat @ [H]

920@ 3.6Ghz at 1.22 vcore 1.55 ddr running 20x180 1440~ ram
Biostar Tpower 58x Noctua NHU 12-P. Can run 4 at 1.32 vcore, but not really in any need of such power hungry cpu.
36 idle
65 load

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7291/76042071.jpg

I've now run 125 passes of Linx and 4 1/2 hours of prime95 at the same time with about an 80 degrees on load. Is this ok? I have 1.25 cpu voltage and 1.275 QPI/DRAM core voltage. it idles low 40s high 30s. its at 3.8 ghz right now with 181x21. I had to lower my ram speed to 1444.

any advice on what i should do to decrease this heat? I have everything enabled except for virtualization and would like to keep HTing on.

Switched to H20 cooling and watched my temps drop.

Idle is 42c and Prime95 full load is 65c after hours. My video card- ATI 4870 idles now at 30c and 42c uder full load.

I used a Danger Den 1366 water block, an EK Radeon HD4870 VGA block, an Eheim 1250 pump, a 5 gallon reservoir and a heater core from a car as a radiator.

I have tried several different coolers- Scythe, Thermalright, Tuniq and stock without any temps that were stable or impressive. H20 helped the I7's temps alot.

Oc'd to 4.02 @1.35 volts, ram at 1.66 volts.

yea should be fine. the voltage is what increases temps i think and if the voltage is not touched, your temps shouldnt be effected.

I learned something last night. For a few days I was running at stock everything. I decided to try out some overclocking. I simply upped the BCLCK to 150 and tested it out (everything else set to optimized defaults). I noticed a big increase in temps. I didn't know it would jump that high. Turns out, the system was auto-adjusting the voltage UP when under load. So, I set the V to 1.1875v. It now operates about 10c cooler under load and it looks like the voltage is not fluctuating on its own. Can any of you OC veterans comment on this?

Turns out, the system was auto-adjusting the voltage UP when under load. So, I set the V to 1.1875v. It now operates about 10c cooler under load and it looks like the voltage is not fluctuating on its own. Can any of you OC veterans comment on this?

Working as intended...

Had the same problem OCing on s775 boards. If you leave the voltage on auto, it's going to bump it up when you bump up the clock. Setting the voltage manually is the way to go.

I was watching the voltage fluctuate with auto bios settings with cpu-z, and I saw it flash 2.0 (!) briefly. I don't know whether that was for real, or a VID read glitch... I don't even think the voltage can go that high without changing jumpers on the motherboard. Anyways, I use fixed voltages now.

I was watching the voltage fluctuate with auto bios settings with cpu-z, and I saw it flash 2.0 (!) briefly. I don't know whether that was for real, or a VID read glitch... I don't even think the voltage can go that high without changing jumpers on the motherboard. Anyways, I use fixed voltages now.

WHOA :eek: I set mine to 1.1875 and BCLCK to a measly 150 right now. I may see how high I get the BCLCK at that voltage. I'm happy staying in the low 50's high 40's under extreme load though. ;)

11/7/2009: Follow-up on Intel Stock Boxed 920, 940, and 965 coolers!

Ummm... think you mean 2008 there. Maybe I'm dreaming we're in the future? :D

I recent bought i7 and I am planning to get install the original fan for my cpu. Do you think it is enough or I will need to buy a better cooler for my i7 920

I recent bought i7 and I am planning to get install the original fan for my cpu. Do you think it is enough or I will need to buy a better cooler for my i7 920

Depends if you are going to OC it. If you are, I'd recommend going with an aftermarket cooler if you plan on pushing it. For stock speeds, the included HS/Fan should be adequate.

Depends if you are going to OC it. If you are, I'd recommend going with an aftermarket cooler if you plan on pushing it. For stock speeds, the included HS/Fan should be adequate.

If i may go to OC, do you have any good brand to show to me, so I can think to buy one for my i7 920

If i may go to OC, do you have any good brand to show to me, so I can think to buy one for my i7 920
Some good coolers are the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V, Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, Prolimatech Megahalems, and the Noctua NH-U12P.

Some good coolers are the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V, Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, Prolimatech Megahalems, and the Noctua NH-U12P.

I may think about the Prolimatech Megahalems, but it does not have stock in us or do you know where I can get it, so I may go to buy thermalright ultra 120 or xigmatek dark knight in newegg thank for the info ;)

Last edited:
I may think about the Prolimatech Megahalems, but it does not have stock in us or do you know where I can get it, so I may go to buy thermalright ultra 120 or xigmatek dark knight in newegg thank for the info ;)
Sorry, I don't know where you might purchase it.

Sold out at most places that carry it.

A couple days ago I was bored and decided to see what I could be stable at with HT enabled since I run with it disabled normally (I have no programs I use that use more than 2 threads).

With ambient of 73~75°f here is what I came up with.
Vcore auto plus special add of 109% (which gave me idle of 1.18 p95 load of 1.36 and linx load of 1.375)
Vcore Droop control set to disable
VTT 1.26
Mem 1.65
rest default
QPI 18x
Uncore 18x
mem 8x

linx.png

And for my 24/7 shots of settings idle and load with HT off
Vcore auto plus special add of 105% (which gave me idle of 1.12 and load of 1.296~1.312 varies because Vdroop is allowed)
Vcore Droop control set to enable
VTT 1.26
Mem 1.65
rest default
QPI 18x
Uncore 18x
mem 8x

Idle
Idle.png

Load
Load.png

Got mine setup!!!!

Vcore = 1.225
dram volt = 1.56
All other settings at auto
Max temp = 67
Clock = 3.8......4.0 was a no go at 1.25 vcore
So far about 2 hours stable prime 95
Using air cooling, TRUE.

66865486.jpg

UPDATE:

Lowered vcore to 1.225. Still solid. 1.175 would not work.

Last edited:
What, you couldn't squeeze out the extra 24MHz for the full-on 80% overclock?? ;) :p Very nice!

Could anyone tell me the maximum CPU Voltage for the i7 920? The Intel page I found states 1.225 V, but I see that some people here have gone beyond that. So I'm not sure what to believe.

Could anyone tell me the maximum CPU Voltage for the i7 920? The Intel page I found states 1.225 V, but I see that some people here have gone beyond that. So I'm not sure what to believe.

Intel's Guidelines

Intel's guidelines are the maximum safe voltage. Anything beyond that and your SOL on warranty, legally anyways.

The maximum voltage though? I've heard of people puting 1.6volts through thier procs without a fireball, however I wouldn't recommend that unless your fine with frying your CPU. If you can't afford to fry your CPU, I'd stay within Intel's guidelines.

1.55v seems to be the generally the accepted "safe not to burn up your CPU" voltage. As others have said, some people are using more than that without issue.

Last edited:
trying to get a 19X200 OC going. Not used to these voltages that I7 offers, aside from vcore what should I increase to get this to be stable? I have a d0, what voltages should I use for this OC?

4.0GHZ @ 1.3000v. Temps in low 70s. This is my 24/7 setting.
HOW do you get it to be stable at that voltage? I have a d0 and I dont think I could play any game with that let alone do a stress test.

edit: Got 1.83X21 right now, 75-79 at full load. Using CNPS 9700. Prime 95 so far so good.

1.30 vcore, only voltage setting not on default. Using 6gb OCZ DDR3 1333 set to 7-7-7-20 1t

Last edited:
Intel's Guidelines

Intel's guidelines are the maximum safe voltage. Anything beyond that and your SOL on warranty, legally anyways.

The maximum voltage though? I've heard of people puting 1.6volts through thier procs without a fireball, however I wouldn't recommend that unless your fine with frying your CPU. If you can't afford to fry your CPU, I'd stay within Intel's guidelines.
Thanks for the Intel link. Unfortunately, anytime I try to get this PDF on my PC, it tells me "This file is damaged and could not be repaired."

What's up with that?

for a 19x200 OC what voltages have you all been having luck with? Can't seem to get it stable at this setting.

Running a D0.

Simple question the temps people are posting in this thread, is it the CPU temp or the core temps?

Simple question the temps people are posting in this thread, is it the CPU temp or the core temps?
Always the core temps. The so-called "CPU" temperature is actually taken from a sensor on the motherboard and is completely useless. The core temps are the only ones that actually mean anything.

aaa ok I am running a bit hot on my Stock fan would it be worth it to change over to my XP-90 I have?

Depends specifically how hot your chip is running. I would also be hesitant to use an old cooler like the XP-90 on an i7 CPU, because it might not be able to keep up with the heat. It would be worth a shot if you're really getting excessive temps with the stock cooler though.

Looks like with my stock cooler and nothing over clocked at all I am seeing core temps of 71-74c. I have removed the heat sink and reapplied AS ceramique at lest 6 times and nothing is getting my temps bellow 70s under 100% load. Am I doing something wrong?

Am I doing something wrong?
Nope, your temps are perfectly fine considering you're on stock cooling. i7 CPUs run hotter than Core 2 chips, but temperatures in the mid-70s and mid-80s are still perfectly alright.

Back