Intel Core i7-8700K OC Worth It?

Odigo

Gawd
Is it worth pushing my I7-8700K to 5hz for gaming on a 2080 at 2K, or should I just keep at stock? I feel like my after market cooler is going to waste. Is it worth the performance gain?

Don't even have to 'overclock' it manually. You can set MCE (or its equivalent) that will run it up to 4.7GHz on all cores, usually, without doing anything else.

But yes, it's worth giving it a shot depending on what all-core speeds you're seeing with your normal workloads.

Do you need it to be faster? If you're getting max framerates in the games you're playing, why bother? If it's about benchmark numbers - well, again, why bother?

It's 10 percent higher performance, assuming you hit 4.8-4.9ghz. Are you really going to notice?

You'll almost double the CPU's power consumption in the process!

If you're running it full-out 24/7 and don't care about power efficiency, then yes, it's probably worth it. But not for a gaming system.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.. I'll just stick with MCE. I don't really have any framerate issues at the moment.

Thanks for the replies.. I'll just stick with MCE. I don't really have any framerate issues at the moment.

Yeah, if you're already using MCE (4.7 ghz all core), then it's pointless.

The 8700k's stock all-core turbo is 4.3 GHz.

Back