Intel Core i7-7700K CPU Synthetic Benchmark Sneak Peek @ [H]

Wow more and more leaks show Kaby Lake as being meh.......

Like I said previously. This is AMD's chance with Zen.....Will they fuck it like Faildozer?

Bring on the benchmarks Kyle!

Last edited:
Intel learning from AMD and just reselling last generations as this generation :D

I was hoping for Intel to bring 6core+ht to the midtrange mobo's

I DID like the alert on the forums page about the sneak peek.(y)

I will assume that the only real upgrade is in the GPU part of the chip which almost no one here would care about.

Maybe the 8th generation chips will be the ones to watch for from my GenOne Tower.

+1
I hate to say it, but I'm thinking of running my 2600k till the mobo takes a dirt nap.
No competition=no new toys for me. :(
Thx AMD.

Running a Xeon E5 1650 at 4.4 GHz 1.3v here. It might actually have a little more in it with better cooling. It's still a pretty strong competitor for a 5930K @ 4 GHz, so it looks like a lot of us are in the same boat.

I'm not a particular fan of either AMD or Intel, but I think we can all agree that Zen needs to light some kind of fire under Intel's ass.

Extremely dissapointing... Can I get a cryofreeze and wake me up when something interesting is happening.

.. Thanks Kyle btw. But still, I almost fail to see the point of the release...

Wow. I was kind of looking forward to this from my Skylake i5-6600k. Guess not. Maybe some people will be dumb enough to upgrade and I can get a Skylake i7-6700k on the cheap (ish).

I also would like to see Zen kick down the door and come in and kick ass. But what I've read so far doesn't give one that will happen. Maybe after they "tock" Zen and tune it up and crank the clocks up.

I'll have been using my i7-4790K for three years come next June. Before this, I had never kept a CPU more than 18 months. This is what lack of competition looks like...

You know, I guess I really shouldn't complain. Every time something like this happens, it saves me the $300-500 a new processor, Mobo, and RAM would have cost me.
That's $ I can use to get the latest video card instead.

I am still pretty happy with my 4770K running at a mild OC. Gone are the old days where a CPU upgrade made a significant difference for each generation.

I miss those days. Faster CPU = Faster computer. Still not happy? Stick in some more ram and see a very noticeable difference.

This makes me feel better about the Microcenter 6700k deal I snatched this weekend!

Here's to hoping AMD hits one out of the park!

Running a Xeon E5 1650 at 4.4 GHz 1.3v here. It might actually have a little more in it with better cooling. It's still a pretty strong competitor for a 5930K @ 4 GHz, so it looks like a lot of us are in the same boat.

I'm not a particular fan of either AMD or Intel, but I think we can all agree that Zen needs to light some kind of fire under Intel's ass.

Zen better bring a blowtorch and some napalm. ;) Because Intel really seems to love milking the shit out of the "Core" experience.

I'll have been using my i7-4790K for three years come next June. Before this, I had never kept a CPU more than 18 months. This is what lack of competition looks like...

I feel your pain. I'm use to doing a CPU upgrade, then a GPU upgrade then a CPU upgrade again, not 4 GPU upgrades in row staying on the same platform smh.

Looks like my 4690K @ 4.4GHz will be good for another 1-2 years. Just upgraded to a GTX 1070 so I'm tapped out for the rest of this year and most of 2017.
I don't know how you can say that when I see my 4770k getting pegged at times in Watch Dogs 2 and there are plenty of other games that are using 60 to 70% of my CPU or more at times so I can't even imagine trying to game on an i5 over the next year or two if you want the best experience in every title. My God even the first Watch Dogs will stutter if I disable hyper-threading on my CPU and that game is a couple years old now.

There's no way I ever buy another quad core CPU (unless it's quantum computing CPU). If Zen is dud my 3770K @ 4,4 GHz has a long road ahead.

Holy crap I'll be keeping my 2500K no friggen way .... what's the next one, cannondale or something? When's the next one due.... seriously.
2500k ftmfw. It's been rock solid at 4.2 since I built it, and I've never had a problem. Upgraded the GPU a few times (now at a 970), and I cobtinue to be very happy. Seriously one of the best purchased I've ever made, second only to the Q6600 before it.
That said, I blame [H]'s reviews for cock-blocking my upgrade joneses. Thanks to your reviews, I buy parts that last too long.

This is what lack of competition looks like...
Lack of competition is a part of the problem but Intel shouldn't be given a free pass for not doing much of anything to improve CPU performance for 3, really more like 4, generations now.

Its not like they don't have to worry about ARM creeping up on them and improving performance will at least yield some perf/watt too.

Lack of competition is a part of the problem but Intel shouldn't be given a free pass for not doing much of anything to improve CPU performance for 3, really more like 4, generations now.

Its not like they don't have to worry about ARM creeping up on them and improving performance will at least yield some perf/watt too.
Question: is it that the chips aren't faster, or is it that our software loads do not demand enough to see the difference? (Honest question, I know jack diddly about software)

You think the fabs at GF are better than the ones Intel has?
Fabs and process tech matter a whole lot but so does design. Remember AMD got ~5Ghz out of bulk 32nm silicon with a BD derivative back in 2013. Yeah it ran hotter than shit and it was BD so it wasn't worth buying but still it does demonstrate that processes and fabs aren't the final word on clockspeeds.

FWIW I'm expecting the rumors of 3-3.5Ghz 8C/16T Zen to be probably be correct at launch since GF's 14nm seems to have some issues but I also don't think they'll be stuck at those speeds for years.

Question: is it that the chips aren't faster, or is it that our software loads do not demand enough to see the difference? (Honest question, I know jack diddly about software)

I think the stagnation of software demands partly explains the lack of continued rapid CPU development. For day-to-day tasks, a current-gen Pentium dual core is sufficient. Hell, I only tax my 4790K when I start running scientific statistical analyses, and those are definitely not typical tasks for the average user. The problem is the small fraction of us who could use more processing muscle but don't get it...

Question: is it that the chips aren't faster, or is it that our software loads do not demand enough to see the difference?
Its a CPU issue. Many things used today on the consumer side of things aren't all that CPU intensive but if you do anything involving serious number crunching that doesn't multi thread too well you've been kind've boned for years. HPC is a decent chunk of the CPU market and Intel would indeed benefit by trying to cater to their needs a little better which would yield results for desktop CPU's too.

Better software would help but its not realistic to expect it to happen given the state of the software industry in general these days.

edit: \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Intel has been complacent since Ivy Bridge really.

Wow, totally pathetic! I have a 3930k at STOCK clockspeed and just ran CPU Mark.... 13017.... Tell me why I should upgrade again? C'mon AMD.... show us something good. Intel is getting complacent.

So if this is correct than it might be wise to pick up a i7 6700 when they drop its price since its performance will be barely less than the 7700

remember back in the day when a new CPU leak was like the super bowl... now its all like MEH

Yup. Still come to [H] nearly daily just to check if some bombshell gets dropped, GPU or CPU, but...not for a very long time.

I think the stagnation of software demands partly explains the lack of continued rapid CPU development. For day-to-day tasks, a current-gen Pentium dual core is sufficient. Hell, I only tax my 4790K when I start running scientific statistical analyses, and those are definitely not typical tasks for the average user. The problem is the small fraction of us who could use more processing muscle but don't get it...

Totally agree. And since a pretty significant portion, I would guess (majority?) of PC users are then content with a pretty old PC now, most software developers will develop to hit the broadest possible market. It isn't even consoles anymore IMO, although it doesn't help.

Yup. Still come to [H] nearly daily just to check if some bombshell gets dropped, GPU or CPU, but...not for a very long time.

Totally agree. And since a pretty significant portion, I would guess (majority?) of PC users are then content with a pretty old PC now, most software developers will develop to hit the broadest possible market. It isn't even consoles anymore IMO, although it doesn't help.

There are a lot of everyday tasks and work programs that choke on lower end dual core cpu's now days. SSD's have extended the life of dual core inefficiencies but many employees can endure multi tasking even better with a quad core cpu. We are going quad core from now on for every employee going forward.

I hope no one is working in the Intel CPU division... or they should be ashamed... what was the point of this CPU? even the 6700K wasn't much to talkabout.... intel has officially fell asleep at the wheel for the past 4 years.

It's one thing to say. we are kings by a mile, while AMD plays with it's self in the corner we can shut down our CPU division and save billions... but to keep your CPU division open for years with zero progress... FIRE THEM ALL>

Before I read it, or any other Kaby Lake performance preview, I'm going to go ahead and guess 2-3% performance increase over Skylake.

I'll be back shortly after reading the preview to see how well I did :p

Before I read it, or any other Kaby Lake performance preview, I'm going to go ahead and guess 2-3% performance increase over Skylake.

I'll be back shortly after reading the preview to see how well I did :p

Alright. I was guessing low, and the reality was even lower.

Lets hope it looks better in practical tests than in synthetic benchmarks, because if this is all they can do above Skylake it's kind of pathetic.

I hope no one is working in the Intel CPU division... or they should be ashamed... what was the point of this CPU? even the 6700K wasn't much to talkabout.... intel has officially fell asleep at the wheel for the past 4 years.

It's one thing to say. we are kings by a mile, while AMD plays with it's self in the corner we can shut down our CPU division and save billions... but to keep your CPU division open for years with zero progress... FIRE THEM ALL>
I think the main issue is they are honestly having a hard time squeezing more power out of each fab generation and only node shrinks bring about performance jumps. I think we are going to see CPU parity between Intel and AMD once we get below 10nm unless someone comes up with a whole new architecture.

Wait so IPC is basically the same (margin of error stuff) and power is the same... KL is just a bigger iGPU?

Well, you called it right, snoozefest from Intel. :/

Maybe, just maybe, this will give AMD a chance at a comeback.

Not to taking the performance crown - mind you - but to actually being a viable (if slightly slower) alternative to Intel.

God damn, wake me up when there is some optical or quantum rigs on the consumer market.

When Sandy Bridge came out I claimed in threads here, and in real life, that the 2500k/2600k would have a 10 year lifespan, and everybody laughed...

Who knew then we'd be building our last PC's.... at this point the only reason any of us will have to upgrade will be the motherboards finally burning out, caps popping, or driver updates drying up.

Maybe, just maybe, this will give AMD a chance at a comeback.

Not to taking the performance crown - mind you - but to actually being a viable (if slightly slower) alternative to Intel.

If Kyle is correct in his testing and other sources have pretty much confirmed they are I don't even see a reason for the KL re-spin. The OC'ing crowd is a small one and the overall majority of the cpu's won't be K versions. I'm sure I'm dumbing it down to the basic level but wow it's such a small margin of difference.

Back