Intel Core i7-7700K CPU Synthetic Benchmark Sneak Peek @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Intel Core i7-7700K CPU Synthetic Benchmark Sneak Peek - If you are wondering what Intel's new Core i7- 7700K Kaby Lake processor's performance will look like when it is launched next month at CES, we have a quick preview for you here today. Just some quick and dirty synthetic benchmark numbers to whet your appetite at 4.5GHz with comparison to the i7-6700K at matched clocks.

These look better than two other "sneak peak" articles I've seen today where the KL was actually up to 1.7% slower than the SL when clocked identically. I wonder what is going on here? Prioritizing energy saving tech over performance perhaps?

These look better than two other "sneak peak" articles I've seen today where the KL was actually up to 1.7% slower than the SL when clocked identically. I wonder what is going on here? Prioritizing energy saving tech over performance perhaps?
Actually, power is not looking to be a game changer either. We will be covering that for sure. Need more time to verify to make sure data is 100% solid.

Most likely motherboard differences, possibly see bios updates that may improve or bring it up to par with Skylake. But the data looks about like everyone else was saying that these are going to be the same, just factory clock differences. And the iGPU difference, but isn't as interesting to most of us here.

Reactions: Cobra
like this
mediocrity.jpg

Looks l ike I'm sticking with X58 a while longer, unless Zen does something fucking magical, I'll pick up used X99 shit cheap from someone more [H] than me in a few.

mediocrity.jpg

Looks l ike I'm sticking with X58 a while longer, unless Zen does something fucking magical, I'll pick up used X99 shit cheap from someone more [H] than me in a few.

AMD is currently under a -10 Bad Magic spell. So I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Expected, if you already have a Skylake you are gaining nothing really, if you are building new then go with the latest unless cost is a factor.
Cost, Kaby should push down Skylake prices making them even more practical for a new build cost wise.

I see the 6600K being relevant for another year or two and reasonable.

Thanks for the peek. Although I'm moving to this platform though even if there's no tangible gain over 6700. Mainly because one- I have the upgrade bug, and two- I'm on a 4770. Not that surprised that there's no real gains showing here though. I think Intel's pushed 14nm as far as they'll go with it.

Expected, if you already have a Skylake you are gaining nothing really, if you are building new then go with the latest unless cost is a factor.
Cost, Kaby should push down Skylake prices making them even more practical for a new build cost wise.

Thing is, best rumors (i know right) have zen competing with Haswell at best.

Kabylake still looks like a worthwhile upgrade from someone like me on a 3570k. Higher clock speed, IPC, ddr4 and new mobo features from a newer motherboard (more usb3 slots, pcie bandwith, etc) might make this worthwhile unless we are looking at another 500$CDN cpu.

So disappointing. This does mean that Skylake-E, X, or whatever they are calling it will look pretty good. It won't feel like a trade off in IPC and single threaded workloads.

Kabylake still looks like a worthwhile upgrade from someone like me on a 3570k. Higher clock speed, IPC, ddr4 and new mobo features from a newer motherboard (more usb3 slots, pcie bandwith, etc) might make this worthwhile unless we are looking at another 500$CDN cpu.
I'm expecting Sandy Bridge levels of performance from Zen in real world scenarios.

I agree that platform upgrades more than anything should determine whether or not you upgrade your CPU, especially these days where we're not seeing much improvement in IPC from one generation to the next.

If it overclocks well, I'll be upgrading. If not, then I'll sit back. Again.

Dammit, Intel. I WANT to give you my money. I want to upgrade to a much faster CPU. Give me a reason to spend my money! I just can't do it right now. I'm not hurting for performance, but I'd love an upgrade. I just want to make sure it's reasonable for the price I'm going to pay.

If it can hit 5Ghz or higher, I'll probably jump on it. It won't give me a huge jump in performance, but it'll be 5+Ghz. :D

Looks like my 4690K @ 4.4GHz will be good for another 1-2 years. Just upgraded to a GTX 1070 so I'm tapped out for the rest of this year and most of 2017.

My plan to wait for 10nm just became more solidified.

Well, unless there's magical solder under KL's IHS...

You know I would love to see a 2700K, 3770K, @4.2 to see if upgrading is worth it for us Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge people.

It's been 4 years since Ivy Bridge. We should honestly see at least 50% improvement in general processing scores. Absolutely no one gives a crap about iGPU. Think about it. Spend $300 on a mediocre 7700K iGPU + new motherboard + new memory or spend $300 on a new video card...What's really going to give you the best boost for GPU task?

(And Intel wonders why their numbers are in the toilet)

Last edited by a moderator:
You know I would love to see a 2700K, 3770K, @4.2 to see if upgrading is worth it for us Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge people.

It's been 4 years since Ivy Bridge. We should honestly see at least 50% improvement in general processing scores. Absolutely no one gives a crap about iGPU. Think about it. Spend $300 on a mediocre 7700K iGPU + new motherboard + new memory or spend $300 on a new video card...What's really going to give you the best boost for GPU task?

(And Intel wonders why their numbers are in the toilet)

I say until something replaces silicon this is all Intel will be able to do. AMD can have higher IPC improvements (for a few generations) until they hit the same limits but they were behind by over 50%..

Holy crap I'll be keeping my 2500K no friggen way .... what's the next one, cannondale or something? When's the next one due.... seriously.

I say until something replaces silicon this is all Intel will be able to do. AMD can have higher IPC improvements (for a few generations) until they hit the same limits but they were behind by over 50%..

Makes you wonder if multi-CPU systems are in everyones future

This appears to be the _smallest_ generational improvement I've ever seen from Intel. Same engine, different accessories. Wow. I think I'm gonna be on my Haswell proc for a really, really long time.

Welp after seeing this, I guess I'll have to clock ye ol' Sandy @ 4.8 again and wait it out.......again.

I ended up with a Haswell thanks to a hefty Microcenter discount and a dead Ivy Bridge mobo. I figured this would be a stop gap, but at this point it looks like I'm going to be rocking this thing for the foreseeable future.

It's the same CPU core, so I don't know what increase was expected from it. The interesting parts on KBL are U and Y, and probably the mid-range mobile parts too: all get a "free" frequency bump at the same SDP/TDP.

If you have Sandy Bridge, you have very little reason to upgrade. I mean there where plenty of 2600k and 2700k that could reach 5Ghz+

Haswell is only ~10% slower per clock than Skylake/Kabylake. Which means in practical terms you'd hardly be able to tell a difference between a Haswell/Zen based system vs Skylake/Kabylake. And that is general performance. In games you won't see a difference at all. Also the best rumors have Zen performing closer to Broadwell but that is in only 1 application (Cinebench) which scales really well with extra threads so its fair to be skeptical but still.

Kabylake still looks like a worthwhile upgrade from someone like me on a 3570k.
Only if you keep that chip at stock clocks + have plenty of spending cash on hand. If you have it OC'd to over 4.5Ghz + are on a mildly tight budget its pretty hard to justify a upgrade at this point. Yeah your synthetic benches will look better with Skylake/Kabylake but those don't matter at all. The biggest thing about the new platform is that it can support Optane but early Optane products are looking to be fairly ho hum for the consumer market and expensive. If you really want USB3.2 just get a add in card. Same thing goes if you want to use M2 PCIe SSD's.

If you have Sandy Bridge, you have very little reason to upgrade. I mean there where plenty of 2600k and 2700k that could reach 5Ghz+
Well, my air conditioning sucks, so overclocking is a bit more difficult in my house, but even running my Sandy Bridge at stock speeds with a modern video card and SSD drives, performance is very satisfactory. I may just run this thing until it dies.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my 3770K a while. Like others I'll be waiting to see how Zen does then after that I may wait it out longer for Coffee Lake which is supposed to have a mainstream hex-core chip.

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
Back