Intel Core i7-6700K vs Intel Core i7-6800K

ng4ever

2[H]4U
I am thinking of getting the Intel Core i7-6800K instead but only if it is worth it. I like to run a lot in the background while I game. I also sometimes alt-tab out of a game to watch a youtube video. I know that is not that intensive but it will still help I think.

So is it worth it ?

As with all things determining relative worth, it comes down to what you are willing to pay. Is it worth getting a new motherboard and CPU (edit: and a new heatsink if the old one isn't socket 2011v3 compatible) for a slight improvement in light multi-tasking? Although 6C/12T processors do have better gaming performance longevity than their 4C/8T counterparts, even moreso now with DX12.

That's a steep increase in price if you ask me. But if you have the cash to burn, why not?

Last edited:
From a pure bang/$ perspective any 20xx socket is a money burning platform. SLI and games and ssds do NOT need the extra direct lanes, multiple network/SAS/etc cards can use them. Take the money saved and put it where it matters: GPU.

This is an objective viewpoint coming from an owner of multiple "big socket" computers for over a decade, hell I went SMP a long time back just because I could and it was buttery smooth years before mainstream ever was. If you want a fast computer, fuck the benchmark(eting) and stick to the desktop socket best model, there is no tangible benefit to the 'EP' platform for games and 'normal'/prosumer uses. The fastest IPC cores and highest clocks will always be on the mainstream 'H-series' socket until intel changes its release cadence.

However if computers are your hobby and you are doing this for fun, go for the bigger build. There are other faaaaaaaaaaar more expensive hobbies, cars, boats, planes, women etc: a single purchase for some of those could keep a computer nerd's garage full for a decade.

The 6800k is a single socket enabled processor, and only has 28 pcie lanes. The limited processor features hurt the benefits of moving to the LGA2011 platform.

The 6800k is a single socket enabled processor, and only has 28 pcie lanes. The limited processor features hurt the benefits of moving to the LGA2011 platform.

I'm confused, doesn't the 6700K only have 16 PCIE lanes, isn't 28 better?

I'm confused, doesn't the 6700K only have 16 PCIE lanes, isn't 28 better?

If you use them, sure! I use all 28 of mine in my 5820K with a X16 GPU, a X8 RAID card, and a X4 PCIE NVME m.2 drive. I won't ever be running SLI again, so 28 is all I needed.

However, the difference between the best single card GPU running at X8 and X16 is still only 1 to 3%. That gap does widen a bit if you go with SLI.

I am thinking of getting the Intel Core i7-6800K instead but only if it is worth it. I like to run a lot in the background while I game. I also sometimes alt-tab out of a game to watch a youtube video. I know that is not that intensive but it will still help I think.

So is it worth it ?
if you play older games that are single thread limited get 6700K but if you don't use single thread (you do) get the 6800K.

Only reason to get 6800K is PCIe lanes, and extra cores.

Back