Intel Core i7-3960X - Sandy Bridge E Processor Review @ [H]

i have a 2600 at 4.2ghz.
i am maybe upgrading to 2011 by the half of 2012 maybe, and, there is a chance i might not upgrade at all in 2012 (keeping my 1155 until 2013.)
there is just no reason to upgrade now, current socket 2011 processors are just to similar in performance to my 2600.

i am hoping he buys the 3960X so i can see how it does with encoding BluRays.
You don't have to wait for your uncle, [H] did the testing all ready for you.

1321227864GYM7dFCLQd_6_2.png

Its really not that hard to read a page, and see that SB-E is the superior encoder CPU, by a big margin.

My Nr's will properly even be better as i do heavy post processing, getting a BR down to around 2GB without any real quality loss.

1321227864GYM7dFCLQd_6_5.png

But of course maybe you choose not to trust the Nr's Kyle is giving, that of course you right.
But then you have to choose not to trust any other website that did a review on SB-E. :rolleyes:

42335.png

Wouldn't you be held back at that resolution because of the 1.5gb of usable memory on your cards before your 930 @ 4.2Ghz would bottleneck? Honest question.

Vram usage is around 1200-1300 at low settings.

Actually, you might just be mistaken for assuming that "single 16x dual 8x" means dual 8x when both 16x slots are being used. The 16x slots could be multiplexed with the 8x slots and not each other such that if you use PCI1 and PCI2 then PCI1 becomes dual mode.

FWIW, you were right on this.

I am currently running with two 6970's (one in each blue slot) at 16x-16x.

They really need to learn to be clearer in those manuals :p

Nice. Glad it wasn't false advertising after all.

In that EVGA pic they got tons of power supplies. Is there really no grounding issues or anything running multiple power supplies? If not I'm surprised more people upgrading from a 500W don't just buy another 500W, one for GPU the other for everything else.

In that EVGA pic they got tons of power supplies.
Yeah 5 times 1200W = 6000W :eek:

Is there really no grounding issues or anything running multiple power supplies?
Apparently not, as multiple PSUs has bin used for years, there are even special adapters for linking PSUs.

If not I'm surprised more people upgrading from a 500W don't just buy another 500W, one for GPU the other for everything else.
The problem is, there are not many cases like the TJ11, ware you can fit in 2 PSUs.

full.png

I got a TJ07 which also supports two PSUs. I know there's that linking business but I'm wondering if you can just run two PSUs without any of that. Maybe you can. Sweet.

thumb.JPG

I know there's that linking business but I'm wondering if you can just run two PSUs without any of that. Maybe you can. Sweet.

For a bench setup you can just do it manually.

As far as turning it on automatically with the system, it's really just a simple relay that when it sees power on the 12V line shorts the power on lead to ground in the ATX connector to turn the supply on.

You could go out and buy a special purpose device or you could just easily make your own for like 50 cents in parts.

Why would anyone bother for normal rig ?

You can run stuff like 2500K+ 6850 on a 350W PSu easily

Zarathustra[H];1038052229 said:
You could go out and buy a special purpose device or you could just easily make your own for like 50 cents in parts.
Actually you don't even need a relay, a small transistor or mosfet would be just fine.

The most expensive part of such an adaptor would probablly be the connectors.

is there an error on the review at the first page or do you really overclocked the 2600K and the 3960X to 4.8GHz for the review?

Zarathustra[H];1038047803 said:
Actually, you might just be mistaken for assuming that "single 16x dual 8x" means dual 8x when both 16x slots are being used. The 16x slots could be multiplexed with the 8x slots and not each other such that if you use PCI1 and PCI2 then PCI1 becomes dual mode.
FWIW, you were right on this.

I am currently running with two 6970's (one in each blue slot) at 16x-16x.

They really need to learn to be clearer in those manuals :p

I have to agree. I read a lot of reviews, both pro and customer, and posts here and there. I've seen a lot of people wanting more and supported 16x. From what you say, not to negatively imply anything of course, if that is true than there does need to be a clearer explanation in manuals because there is definitely something being lost in translation and I'm not talking about Taiwanese to English.

now my uncle bought the 990X because Face book was not running fast enough and the next day he put a GTX 580 in his computer just because he wanted to blow some fuses.

i am dead serious he was sold on a the 990X and GTX 580 and all he does is Facebook. lol.

i am hoping he buys the 3960X so i can see how it does with encoding BluRays.

990X... Facebook... I think your uncle just gave me an aneurysm.

Anyone know what the stepping number is for a 3960X C2? I know for the 3930K it's 7.

Wow, didn't read this review earlier but I guess, you guys tore intel a new one lol. Some seriously harsh words in the review but still, very true and a complete waste of time and money. I would be surprised if the 3930K processor will offer better performance compared to a 2700K clocked like mad either (apart from bittorrent business lol).

Anyone know what the stepping number is for a 3960X C2? I know for the 3930K it's 7.

What you look for on the box is SR0KF ( SR0KY for 3930K ) ..

No way to get the stepping number without installing and booting the processor...

Last edited:
Back