Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz Six-Core LGA 1151 Processor $175

Good price if you want coffee lake, but this should really be the regular price now. >200 is dumb when the 3600x stomps it.
well unfortunately for the 3600x, AMD still has no onboard video. So there is a clear market for these that the 3600x doesn't tap into.

Also AMD processors suffer from being AMD processors. There are so many people out there who won't touch them just because of the brand.

I bought one but still on the fence about this vs a 3600. My main hang up with ryzen is the availability of ITX motherboards and the high prices of X570 ones especially. But man what an upgrade path. However for a secondary system that really just needs to be good at gaming I think the 9600K will be fine.

Paid $200 for mine before Christmas and have had no issues with it OC'd at 5Ghz. I will say, I think some reports are rather biased against this chipset. I would disagree that the 3600x "stomps" it. Multiple sources I've seen show the i5 9600k @ 5Ghz contends well against and does beat the 3600x in a lot of benchmarks, including gaming.

Intel should have thrown HT in it to make the chipset that much better, but oh well.

Either way, it's a solid cpu if you're on a budget and want to stick with Intel.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be my choice if it were my only computer or if I only ran at stock speeds, but one of these at 4.8GHz would make a heck of a secondary CAD rig paired with the W5500 that launched not long ago. 6c/6t is a lot more manageable thermally than 8c/16t and 4.8/1.3V is comfortable enough on Coffee Lake that I wouldn't hesitate to put them in a production environment either.
Intel is cursed this gen with crippling HT and clocks on their midrange offerings and it really shows - for no additional cost to them the 9600K could be very competitive with Ryzen; as such the 9600K seems relegated to a niche of folks who need single-threaded performance and don't mind some fairly high overclocks.

Agreed. Intel really set themselves up for failure leaving out HT.

well unfortunately for the 3600x, AMD still has no onboard video. So there is a clear market for these that the 3600x doesn't tap into.

Also AMD processors suffer from being AMD processors. There are so many people out there who won't touch them just because of the brand.

I agree that the onboard video is a good selling point but AMD made some serious strides to shed their bad reputation in the CPU world the last 3 years. I think the only bad brand perception would be from the lovely RTG group and their lack there of innovation/competition and questionable drivers.

This is unfortunately true. I was talking to a co-worker about building a new system and he mentioned having a dislike of AMD processors. Upon further questioning, he brought up past experiences with the brand being poor. He's about my age and remembers the days when AMD was selling what was perceived to be "knock offs" of Intel's i386 and i486 CPU's which didn't perform all that well. Interestingly enough, this is a common perception among IT people I've talked to. He isn't willing to give AMD a chance despite those experiences being more than ten years out of date. It was an interesting conversation.

I hadn't really run into anyone like that in years. Back in the Cyrix, AMD, vs. Intel days, this kind of thing was pretty common and even justified. The other brands rarely performed on par with Intel and even if they did, software compatibility issues were common place. As a gamer, going with a Cyrix/IBM 6x86 or an AMD K5 was generally a bad idea. When Quake was all the rage, these other chip makers offerings were a poor choice for the gamer despite being much easier on the wallet. I think the 6x86 PR200 was something like $200 or more when the Pentium 200MHz was almost $500. (I might be off on the pricing, I'm just going off memory.)

I've also know several gamers who aren't really hardware people. Every one of them is running a Core i9 9900K at stock speeds. Even the somewhat hardware savvy gamers I know are running the same basic setup.

Agreed. Intel really set themselves up for failure leaving out HT.

With Hyperthreading and the right price point, it would be a fantastic CPU. At present, they are still good for gaming, but as others have pointed out, the 3600's are simply a better choice all around.

B550 + Ryzen 4000 desktop APUs could have interesting use cases particularly in a compact form factor like a NUC or a slightly larger cube / NAS box. Hope we see some interesting reference designs like Intel’s Skull Canyon but priced for real world uses other than primary PC replacement, such as living room steam box/streamer, the aforementioned diy NAS, kids educational / gaming pc, portable VR rig, etc.

I'm one of those people who are wary of AMD. Even back in the Athlon days there was always something up with them. I'd go online and look up remedies and sure enough, 2/3 of the time my issues were specifically related to AMD processors or chipsets. It got old.
Whenever I've played for the blue team, that just hasn't been the case. It feels like there's an Intel security issue that has to be dealt with every month, but I haven't had an Intel specific hardware bug in forever.
I feel the same way with video cards. They've just simply been more trouble free on the Nvidia side. Even when my ATI/AMD card has been the fastest thing out there, there have always been technical issues that go with them. Even when they're cheaper and better, I've rarely cared.

It's not to say I won't ever go back, but knowing my luck I'll swap teams and that's when the AMD of old rears its head again.

Back