Intel Core i5-8600K Overclock at 5.2GHz with 3600MHz RAM

Not worried about the thermal output and an AiO
Worried about TIM and no solder ;)

Mmm
1.4 something v
Must be quite toasty with 5.3 and no delid

I just fired up a Xeon x5670 6-core on an x58 mobo.

This chip cost me $69; others have made this chip run ~5GHz, it will be interesting to see how it compares to the new ones. :)

Wowsa!!!!! So for Comparisons Kyle. my x5670 is using 1.42v for 4.4ghz......(HT off of course).

Bravo Intel! The 8600k is a damn good chip for the price!

Voltage degrades the traces of the circuitry of the chip, no matter what levels. That high of voltage on a 14nm chip will erode and break the traces in a matter of months. The default voltage advised by Intel will still degrade the chip, but only over a course of 10 years or so. The level of voltage used directly affects the longevity of the chip.

Voltage degrades the traces of the circuitry of the chip, no matter what levels. That high of voltage on a 14nm chip will erode and break the traces in a matter of months. The default voltage advised by Intel will still degrade the chip, but only over a course of 10 years or so. The level of voltage used directly affects the longevity of the chip.
Long live electromigration!

Thermalright TS Direct 8600K.jpg

4 hours...That is looking pretty damn sweet. Obviously, open bench, 73/75F ambient, but this certainly put a good spin on it.

8600 AIR 5.2 1.35v-4.0Hr.png

Damn this has been a great year so far and it keeps on giving!

This is getting kickass impressive here.

So with my 7700k I only got decent temperatures putting liquid metal on the die and then reattaching the IHS. The temperatures were much better putting a more thin layer on the die and then painting a thin layer on the IHS. Have you experimented with both methods? I used the rockit cool kit which puts more pressure in the middle of the IHS when I held it in place for 8 hours to let it cure, this looks like it puts more even pressure on the IHS so maybe it doesn't need a specific method. But when I put liquid metal only on the die and reattached initially it had much better temps but it then went back to stock TIM like temps sometime after 48 hours. The 2nd method described which I got from Gamer's Nexus has stayed solid.

Damn dude! Easy with the screwdriver!! Relid @10:34:

From previous takes:
upload_2017-10-8_8-48-17.jpeg

After this take:
upload_2017-10-8_8-48-58.jpeg

There are more dings but the lighting kept changing (shadows) and I couldn't cap 'em. None are really going to make a difference, but that one near the middle is over the die. Maybe use something softer to poke her next time? :D

From previous takes:
View attachment 38958

After this take:
View attachment 38959

There are more dings but the lighting kept changing (shadows) and I couldn't cap 'em. None are really going to make a difference, but that one near the middle is over the die. Maybe use something softer to poke her next time? :D

Wow, some really investigative eyes you got there dude.

From previous takes:
View attachment 38958

After this take:
View attachment 38959

To be fair, only one of those dings is gonna possibly affect the mating of the TIM'ed core to the spreader (The center "Green" circle).

How goes the CPU "Post-Delid" Kyle?

To be fair, only one of those dings is gonna possibly affect the mating of the TIM'ed core to the spreader (The center "Green" circle).

How goes the CPU "Post-Delid" Kyle?
Working on it. Had a bit of a setback yesterday when my Uber on Sat night got ran over.

Holy shit! That looks like it was a [H]ard hit. I take it that is the other party in the background? Damn lucky you weren't hurt. A bit sore I'd imagine though...

Holy shit! That looks like it was a [H]ard hit. I take it that is the other party in the background? Damn lucky you weren't hurt. A bit sore I'd imagine though...
Yeah. Not exactly bouncing around today...

Hope your neck is ok.

Also got rammed is the ass once, and the neck was stiff for two weeks.

From previous takes:
View attachment 38958

After this take:
View attachment 38959

Hehe, no more 4K resolution for you guys!!!

:D LOL I was wondering if you had even noticed it. If it weren't for your great camera work and the fact that you had zoomed in so tight I would have never had noticed. Maybe next time use a pencil eraser or some such to move the IHS in place.
I literally see things when I edit the video that I never see while shooting it. Love that camera with a 48" 4K monitor.

Thanks
HA! Then you MUST have seen those dings when you edited the video. You must have known someone was going to call you out on it. YAY ME! :LOL:
Yeah I saw those. Far enough on the edge that I did not care, but I did make a mental note not to do that shit again.

Overclocking the Intel 8600K - Delidded on Air and Water

We've gotten to spend some quality time with our Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake CPU, and of course we have spent our time finding out just how far we could push the processor's clock under both Air Cooling and Water Cooling. We relid and delid as well. The results look to be very promising for the overclocking enthusiast and gamer.

Back