Intel Core i5-8600K Overclock at 5.2GHz with 3600MHz RAM

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
So, now that I have gotten a little sleep, we are back at the test bench this afternoon trying to figure out what we are going to have to do in order to get this 8600K to 5.2GHz without having to delid. And I am fairly sure we are going to delid anyway.

Check out the pic.

1.44 vcore? Oh boys.

edit: Let me rephrase. That seems kinda high, but I mean 5.2 is pretty crazy itself.
Yeah, I am scaling back now. I have gotten where I work my way down instead of up, seems to save time. :)

CPU Load Line Calibration on this Gigabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming looks to have been refined a good bit. Helping keep steady vCore instead of that crazy variable pattern I have seen in the past.

How long had you been running that test? 87 degrees isnt game breaking at that clock speed. I think that temperature pre-delid is pretty great.
Hehe, it was at 4 mintues IIRC. :p but it did run for a good while. Scaling back vCore and got package down 10 watts.

Getting even better.

upload_2017-10-5_15-16-30.png

Looking at your first pic where it was showing a 10º difference between cores I was thinking delid for sure. But the second run, showing only 7º difference and much lower temps - maybe deliding isn't really necessary. But do it anyway!

I have a couple of load spikes to go through yet running Prime95 Small FFTs, but things are looking very good. Any vCore below this and I was dropping threads.

8600 5.2 1.334v.png

Nice!! 1.332v and still at 5.2GHz with still lower temps. Still have a 7º temp delta between cores which is not bad IMO.

I just bought parts for a 7700k build and I have a feeling that in about a month I will be wishing I had held out for a 8700k. Oh well, I hate being an early adopter anyway.

Still on my old 5820k - at the time p95 was considered dangerous. Did they fix computation or did Intel correct the problem?
No, we are just beating the shit out of them. Small FFT does not SEEM to hit the AVX instructions as much. Small FFT also delivers a more static load.

One of the reasons we moved away from it on motherboard testing is that Prime95 was certainly damaging our CPUs over time during reviews. But keep in mind, we use the same CPUs over and over and over again, which would likely equate to running Prime95 for months, literally.

Surface of the MOSFET heatsink is down to about 110F now instead of 160F. I have a feeling that is going to make a difference on this motherboard.

No IPC, but good clocks with reasonable temps pre delid, not a total loss eh?

Looking up on the enthusiast side of things for sure. And it only took 3 years for that lying sack of shit Francois Piednoel's statements to come to fruition. ;)

1484847314njjCnT4YPb_1_1.png

I think he got tired of me bring that up....funny that his Twitter header says what it says today.

upload_2017-10-5_18-37-14.png

Haven't seen the board yet - does the MOSFET heatsink seem robust? IE, good amount of surface area?
Yeah, it is just that the finned side is hidden under the shroud to IO panel and gets no airflow. Again, this is not an "overclocking" board series. We are probably asking a bit much of it.

Bummer, no change, going to work on pushing vCore back up a bit.

Whats the sudden change in going back to prime95 ?
Well, we have been hashing through setting up the new HSF test system over the last couple months and just doing a bunch of HSF testing here in my office as well. The fact is that it will give us higher CPU package loads than about anything "real world" we can use. So for testing overclocks, it has been great. When we were doing long term stability testing on motherboards we moved away from it because it was burning up our damn CPUs. Keep in mind these CPUs literally had MONTHS of Prime95 time on them. Getting back to testing TR overclocks and stability, it has simply been easier to get a static load with Prime95. Loading up all these cores/threads is not actually easy to keep 100% load. So all in all it is coming down to what is working best for what we are doing and what parts we are working with. I still do not see using it for long term motherboard tests, because I do not want to have to buy new $1000 CPUs every time the thing starts to have OC issues due to electromigration.

That thing runs this hot? Man that's worrisome. Delid is mandatory.

Uh oh, I think I just chubbed up a little over here.

8600 5.2 1.35v-60min.png

Wow 5.2ghz @ 1.344v is impressive! Man that 8600k chip is looking like a steal @ $260.

Man I wonder if you can hit 5.3-5.4 when you delid!

Time for an upgrade purrhaps

Yes, I like this idea. Get a baseline on a run-of-the-mill air cooler. I'm just hoping that you haven't lucked into a golden sample with that 8600k. It will be interesting to see what HT does to max clocks on the 8700k.
Creates way more heat lol

Previously 7700k seemed to equal 8600k temps

I had pretty much decided to go with the 8700K but after seeing some of the overclocks I'm now leaning toward the 8600K. Gaming is 90% of what I use my desktop for and work related stuff (CAD, spreadsheets) certainly doesn't need a 6C/12T beast.

I'm excited to see how much delidding reduces the temps.

Imagine if they released a 4 core part on 14++ that wasn't a gimped i3. Think we'd see 5.4ghz on water?

Can you see how far you can take the 8600K on a cheaper HS/F and maybe test it with a Ryzen 7 on the same cooling solution. Going on JayztwoCents Video he mentioned that temps are not the issue holding ryzen back it is just the node and that there is plenty room to push if refinements are better the clocks have play, just want to see what temps the Ryzen 8 cores maxed throws out on a simple cooler

Can you see how far you can take the 8600K on a cheaper HS/F and maybe test it with a Ryzen 7 on the same cooling solution. Going on JayztwoCents Video he mentioned that temps are not the issue holding ryzen back it is just the node and that there is plenty room to push if refinements are better the clocks have play, just want to see what temps the Ryzen 8 cores maxed throws out on a simple cooler
Go ask JayZee, I don't listen to rap.

I couldn't see it until the last image you posted - that's 5.2 on all cores! Impressive. Now to see the actual results that extra speed on 6 cores will get us. I'm sure there's an article coming soon!

....so are we thinking an AIO can handle a load like this at 5 once heatsoak hits, gaming doesn't really peg the way burn-in/benchmarking does, we all know that, so I'm asking more on the real-world loser scenarios. Kinda-sorta don't want the custom loop with water and maintenance, hence the ask for where can we go on an AIO....

....so are we thinking an AIO can handle a load like this at 5 once heatsoak hits, gaming doesn't really peg the way burn-in/benchmarking does, we all know that, so I'm asking more on the real-world loser scenarios. Kinda-sorta don't want the custom loop with water and maintenance, hence the ask for where can we go on an AIO....

Why do you think it'll be any different than it always is?

See one of the other thousands of reviews on heatsinks vs AIO coolers.

Look at the package power on the CPU. It is not that big. 135w.

Shit...my AIO handles ~250w. It should have no problems with this.

Back