intel core 2 quad q6700 on a DQ965MT chipset ?

overkill25

n00b
Hi, i would need your help. I wanna upgrade my cpu from pentium D 915 to a core 2 quad q6700 i have a gateway e-4610s whit DQ965MT chipset with the newest bios So, could i upgrade my cpu to core 2 quad or couldn't I? Thanks for any answers.

Alright, I am wrong. That chipset isn't the same as the socket type.

You should be able to use any 775 Core cpu in that board, as far as I can tell from the Intel ark site.

Technically the Q965 chipset can support some c2q cpus including the q6700. What you should be asking is if that shitty gateway pre-built PC supports c2q's. My guess would be no.

Don't you think it may be time to upgrade lol.

None of the x963/5 chipset variants officially supported CPUs with a FSB over 1066 MHz. The Q965 also lacks supports for quads, meaning the fastest CPU it will support is the E6700. But this is also reliant on BIOS support as well. If the BIOS in your machine doesn't have microcode entries for the E6700, it either won't work at all, or have bugs.

Care must also be taken to not get a Pentium Dual-Core E6700, instead of a Core 2 Duo E6700. The former is a later part based on a cut down Wolfdale-2M core and requires a later x3x or x4x chipset. The latter is the original Conroe part. I made this mistake years ago with a Pentium DC E6300 on a Q965 Intel Desktop Board. While it booted, Speed Step and ACPI were broken, so the CPU ran full tilt 24/7 and was hot.

It's easy to tell the difference between the parts though, based on clock and cache.

C2D E6700 - 2.66 GHz 4M cache
Pentium DC - 3.20 GHz 2M cache

With all that said, upgrading such an old machine makes no sense. It likely has other age associated issues, so unless you have no money, I'd recommend buying a more modern machine.

$75 can get you a 1st gen Ryzen 4 core, board, and 8gb ram. Light years ahead of any lga775 stuff.

Back