Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 ES compared directly to an Opteron 165 @ 3GHz, all in house!

let us know when all the tests are completed. As of right now, it looks like you haven't finished posting the Conroe benchmarks. ;)

Source Stress Test:

1600x1200, 4xAA 16xAF, Everything Maximum
Opteron 165 @ 3GHz: 134.15fps

Conroe @ 3GHz: 138.41fps

Conroe @ Max Clocks:

interesting, i thought this game was held back by the cpu? I would have thought the conroe would have been up near 150fps if it were inline with the other benchmarks

is it the hl2 engine?
i must be missing something

Testing is trashed.

They run super high res and max details with AA and AF, seems like more of a Videocard bottleneck test.

To test the cpu, they should run lower resolution to remove the video card from the equation.

i need this to help me decide im sure others too. opterons been selling like crazy lately.

tvdang7 said:
i need this to help me decide im sure others too. opterons been selling like crazy lately.

As i see there i not too much of a difference for me worth $700 to switch to INTEL.

Warmonkey said:
Testing is trashed.

They run super high res and max details with AA and AF, seems like more of a Videocard bottleneck test.

To test the cpu, they should run lower resolution to remove the video card from the equation.
Yeah, that is true. I would like to see the same benches at something a little smaller like 1280x1024 or 1024x768.

visaris said:
Yeah, that is true. I would like to see the same benches at something a little smaller like 1280x1024 or 1024x768.

partly true....

they are running:
2x eVGA 7900 GT SLI @ 700/800 - Forceware 84.66

and getting 134 fps, doesnt really seem like a big gpu bottleneck.
seems like the engines perfomance wall has been hit by both cpus.

Also... I'm curious how he's running SLI on the intel board. He needs to do the benchmarks with a single card, SLI doesn't work on Intel chipsets.

computerpro3 said:
SLI absolutley works on intel 975 chipset. If you know how to get it working.

Possibly, but you have to use hacked drivers. Not exactly what you should be using on a benchmark. He should use a single card, both systems with the same drivers.

Poncho said:
Possibly, but you have to use hacked drivers. Not exactly what you should be using on a benchmark. He should use a single card, both systems with the same drivers.

Or early drivers, but good point nonetheless.

16x12 is fine, but he also needs 1024x768, or 8 x 6. It is completely impossible to differentiate the cpu at 16x12 4x aa 16 af. Some deffinitely good benchmarks there though.

no boost for CSS stress test eh? thats cuz theres really no physics being used in it. any way u can do a benchmark with frames with some sort of CSS timedemo of ur own?

i play CSS. my optery works fine for it but more FPS wouldnt be bad.

LC would be cool. but u knwo what i mean about the stress test not meaning anyhting right?

keep it up bro ur doing great i must thank you for ur hard work and time
one question though is the memory the same in both systems at dif speeds or just 2 dif sets all together

You are welcome guys

@ Pandora's box, i have the second memory listed

@ Gun Strife, one PC was using DDR1, the other DDR2.

thecoldanddarkone said:
16x12 is fine, but he also needs 1024x768, or 8 x 6. It is completely impossible to differentiate the cpu at 16x12 4x aa 16 af. Some deffinitely good benchmarks there though.

Fear Stress Test: from the article posted.
1600x1200, 4xAA 16xAF, all max:
Opteron 165 @ 3GHz: Min 25 | Avg 43 | Max 172
Conroe @ 3GHz: Min 53 | Avg 86 | Max 310

Impossible to differentiate...

Weazmeister said:

lol :p

Weazmeister said:

Min 25 FPS would be noticeable, however the Conroe system stays above that so you would have a 100% fluid gameplay experience.

nice, though until there is a game that is unbearably slow on my opteron and is nice on a conroe, there's no justification for me just yet... which I don't see happening any time soon.

So...I have a dual 940 board. How much is a 3ghz conroe going to cost, $1k ?

I saw an opteron 256 (3.0ghz) on Ebay I could throw in my board for about $350'ish. I already have 2G of eccregistered filling 4 of 8 ram slots.

If you guys were me, would you grab 2 x 256, keep mb & ram (& numa, pci-x, pci-e sli capability) for $700'ish or invest in conroe? I'm undecided.

Now that I'm just married, I'm thinking of grabbing 2 x 256 (to spend less money and still hopefully have a system that will last me, gaming-wise, for 3 years).

Thoughts?

Back