Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 ES compared directly to an Opteron 165 @ 3GHz, all in house!

OverclockingGuru said:
no idea, but being that it's dual core optimized maybe the shared cache makes a difference?

I'd be happy with 3GHz, nice work, good to see you getting more out of yours though.

Don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but, seeing how Conroe pretty much puts Opterons to shame, what do you guys think would happen in a similar battle between Woodcrests and Conroes?

I know neither have been released, but there has been preliminary tests of both. I'm asking cause I'm hesitating if my next purchase will be a Conroe rig or a Woodcrest one (and yes, I know the latter costs more, but if it's really more powerful than the Conore, I'll go for it).

Peace, TDX

tdx said:
Don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but, seeing how Conroe pretty much puts Opterons to shame, what do you guys think would happen in a similar battle between Woodcrests and Conroes?

I know neither have been released, but there has been preliminary tests of both. I'm asking cause I'm hesitating if my next purchase will be a Conroe rig or a Woodcrest one (and yes, I know the latter costs more, but if it's really more powerful than the Conore, I'll go for it).

Peace, TDX

Processors aren't that much different but the Platforms for Woodcrest will not make the best Desktop system. You, know SLI and Crossfire and etc.. But Woodcrest will have more and better I/O support. :)

WOW. That is a sweet Opty OC! Impressive that a tiny Connie OC and it's whipping it's toosh!!!

However once Connie comes out the Dual AMD's will dop down in price significiantly...

The E63 + 64 are dual aren't they??? If they are they will be roughly the same price point... that would be interesting to see... how the lower end Connies fare vs the x2 3800 and teh opty 165.

Great job on the testing!!!

MC FLMJIG said:
WOW. That is a sweet Opty OC! Impressive that a tiny Connie OC and it's whipping it's toosh!!!

However once Connie comes out the Dual AMD's will dop down in price significiantly...

The E63 + 64 are dual aren't they??? If they are they will be roughly the same price point... that would be interesting to see... how the lower end Connies fare vs the x2 3800 and teh opty 165.

Great job on the testing!!!

All Conroes = Dual Core until Single Core Conroe-L ships in Q1-07. Yes, AMD will need to do some big time price cuts to stay in the Game.

I wanted an E6600 for the extra multiplier in overclocking, but if they overclock THAT well I might be getting an E6200 or E6400. What would the difference be as far as the cache goes (2MB versus 4MB). I am amazed that this processor beat AMD's flagship price/performance part, at the same price, at a much less overclock.

InorganicMatter said:
I wanted an E6600 for the extra multiplier in overclocking, but if they overclock THAT well I might be getting an E6200 or E6400. What would the difference be as far as the cache goes (2MB versus 4MB). I am amazed that this processor beat AMD's flagship price/performance part, at the same price, at a much less overclock.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/web/display/20060606172841.html

well it seems that the lower end conroes have trouble getting such high speeds. plus u need a very high end motehrboard

tvdang7 said:
Well it seems that the lower end conroes have trouble getting such high speeds.
Hmmm, good to know that about the lower-end ones. I bet the high clockers get made into 6600/6700s, and the low clockers get half their cache disabled and go into the 6200/6300 bin.

tvdang7 said:
Plus u need a very high end motehrboard
Not a problem for me, the motherboard and PSU are the only two components I go all-out on. If a motherboard costs less than $150, chances are it won't end up in my box. ;)

Thanks for the link, great read... Kinda dissapointed now though. Seems like in order to get a great OC you need the higher end Connies which = more $. :(
What's with such low multipliers???

The 1.6 model seems alright for Ocing but... who wants 1 core nowadays??!?!?!? :p

tvdang7 said:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/web/display/20060606172841.html

well it seems that the lower end conroes have trouble getting such high speeds. plus u need a very high end motehrboard

You might want to go to extreme system and read that thread. Now it is very long but you might be surprised.

The experiment showed that even if the second core was disabled completely and the Vcore was set to its maximum, Core 2 Duo E6300 processor doesn’t allow to increase the system bus frequency beyond 477MHz. with the maximum clock frequency multiplier of 7x, it can only clock to 3.33GHz. It is not a bad result, but the mainboard should features really good overclocking-friendly options to achieve this. Most mainboards may face serious difficulties during this overclocking attempt, especially if the implemented Conroe support didn’t imply wide frequency range for the system bus.

FUGGER stopped at 3.22GHz frequency achieved with a serial Freon cooling system. With the processor Vcore at its nominal value, the CPU clocked to 2.33GHz.

Now it wouldn't be the first time "Aleksey Razin" or Xbits didn't get it! Only 3.33GHz, you kidding me? Now you already saw what 3GHz does versus the overclocked $350 165 opty. The 1.8GHz Conroe will out run a $1000 FX62 overclocked or not for about $169 when they ship. Only 3.3GHz please I wish I had some of that Russian Vodka he's been drinking, it must be real good. 477 X 4 is 1908MHz effective. That's damned there 2000MHz HT speeds.

This takes the cake!

then it makes more sense for you to spend more money on a model from the middle of the product line-up, instead of getting the slowest one. In fact, P965 based mainboards may save you some trouble, but they will not be cheap, also. So, efficient Conroe overclocking will require some tangible financial investments.

After I got up from the floor from LMFAO! Why?

Ilya Gavrichenkov XBits said:
AMD has been offering Opteron processors for Socket 939 systems for quite a while now. Despite their server orientation they can suit quite well for desktop systems too. For example, our experiments showed that Opteron 165 is a really great choice for hardware enthusiasts. Read more!

Still don't think there are BIASED views at XBits? Or I'm I making something out of nothing?

brucedeluxe169 said:
You are a god among men.. I loved my 2500 mobile @ 2.6ghz with a 6800gt....

until I destroyed it :)

ditto here, still running my trusty 2500 xp-m clocked at 2500 with a 6800.. (upgraded from 1800 XP)
skipping a whole generation or two of cpus sure makes you appreciate the new stuff more :)

july and august are upgrade months :D
now to just pre order that E6600 and a good mobo and to OC it up the wazzu

Megalomaniac said:
ditto here, still running my trusty 2500 xp-m clocked at 2500 with a 6800.. (upgraded from 1800 XP)
skipping a whole generation or two of cpus sure makes you appreciate the new stuff more :)

july and august are upgrade months :D
now to just pre order that E6600 and a good mobo and to OC it up the wazzu

Same here, WOOT!

read it again
"3.22GHz frequency achieved with a serial Freon cooling system"

I don't have a serial-whatever cooling system. and the 2mb chips will obviously be less in terms of performance

thrawn86 said:
read it again
"3.22GHz frequency achieved with a serial Freon cooling system"

I don't have a serial-whatever cooling system. and the 2mb chips will obviously be less in terms of performance

Conroe E6700 voltage 1.78v to 4ghz already @tower120!!!
Vcore1.78v

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103600
E66 under AIR 3.6G 1.55v.... OMG again!

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101401
Test Congiuration
CPU:Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800
MB: MSI 975X Platinum 2.XDRAM:
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C3
VGA:ELSA 6800Ultra
HD:Seagate 7200.7 80GB
POWER:AcBel 550W
Cooler:Tower112

Hmmmm

Okay... I don't see that as an exremely high end mobo...
Maybe a decent mobo will suffice?

I still fdon't c y they used such a low multi :mad:

this makes me want to ask. since they overclock so nice........why not sell them as highclocked versions(plus small bump in voltage) for same price.....would yields go down that much?

is it just me or is that a GREAT price?
EDIT price is 175? or 175 less than what you paid.pm me.

Back