Intel Compute Stick or Quantum Access Mini PC Stick ??

Alvein

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I'm interested in buying one of those things. The specs are pretty much the same. Also, Amazon reviews for the Quantum's one seems to be way better.

My question here is, would these sticks be able to run Remote Desktop Connection (I'm being specific here. RDC not VNC) with no problems? I'd like to use this to connect with my workplace from home, but if the hardware is going to lag or freeze, I'd pass.

Thanks for your help! :)

Running media within RDC or just using it for administrative/browsing purposes?

I don't own one personally, but I've used RDC just fine on an old dual core atom system with a D510 and 2GB of RAM. I can't imagine a baytrail atom having a worse experience unless you have a shoddy wifi setup.

However, if you're trying to play media rich content within RDC on one of these, I don't think you'll have a great experience. Administrative tasks/browsing within RDC? I don't see problems.

intel compute stick is fine, as long as your Wifi signal is strong. it plays streaming 1080p for me just fine, and browsing the web is great as well. quad-core atom gives you decent Windows experience. but emmc is slow, so any heavy disk i/o operation will suck.

Not sure if you've already picked one up, but I've got the Quantum and it's pretty fantastic. I like it better than the Intel since it's 100% passive (I own both) and I haven't run into any heat issues. Intel's isn't loud or anything but if there's a fan, you'll need to clean it out now and then and it could always break.

RDS out is not a problem, if you want to RDS into it you'll need to upgrade the OS to a version with RDS support. I can stream 1080p MKV's all day long on it without breaking a sweat. I'm pretty thoroughly impressed.

the first intel stick sucked i recall?, every review said it was useless,

streaming 1080 is not too hard, it is the bitrate that matters and most streaming 1080 has a low bitrate anyways.

Back