Intel Coffee Lake Core i5-8600K vs 7600K at 5GHz Review @ [H]

What was ryzen running for ram, people have then hitting 3600Mhz now which apparently gives some games large gains.
With this pricing structure the i5 makes no sense

Thanks for the review- gona hold onto my 7700K for this year and see what next year brings :)

Looks like I can keep my Corejizzer for Life tag. Honestly, I have been using Intel only for many, many years now, but I used AMD before that. My 8088 and 80286 were Intel, but starting at the 80386/486 era I switched to AMD. Think I even had a Cyrix in there somewhere. My point is, that is nice to see AMD back in the game because competition is good. The Ryzen line has clearly been a wake up call for Intel as they rush out the Coffee Lake series (it was originally intended for 1st QTR 2018). It is important to keep in mind that IPC improvements aren't made overnight and I think Intel was just fine with where they are at. Now that they recognize they are facing a threat they are going to most likely start looking at ways to get legitimate IPC gains. It might take a while since the Core micro-architecture is reaching a point of diminishing returns though. It will be interesting to see if AMD can catch up with Zen 2 before Intel makes a big change. Regardless of what happens, the CPU market is actually fun and interesting again.

Wow, not sure if I'm happy or upset with Intel.

I was sure Intel was sandbagging because of lack of AMD competition.

Now it looks like they were not. I was expecting a 15% IPC increase to be real. Silly me.

I think I will still get an 8700k since it is still going to be the fastest single threaded CPU around.

They were sandbagging, on the MT and price front for sure. Whether or not they are able to improve IPC, it certainly couldn't be done overnight since AMD just jumped back into the game.

I think its time for them to quit their power efficiency vacation now that they have competition again and get back into performance mode. If it's possible that is.

Last edited:
It seems like the added core count has helped, and the ability to run the higher clockspeed while retaining efficiency. Intel have put all their chips on the table and the ball will be back on AMD's side of the court for an answer and how much extra performance they can squeeze out of Zen uArch with refined 14nm and other tweaks.

For just gaming I don't need to upgrade my 4790K though for extended usage the 8700K would make sense however the volatility of my local currency is going crash the price, I think on my local market it will be more expensive than the 1800X.

They were sandbagging, on the MT and price front for sure. Whether or not they are able to improve IPC, it certainly couldn't be done overnight since AMD just jumped back into the game.

I think its time for them to quit their power efficiency vacation now that they have competition again and get back into performance mode. If it's possible that is.

Roughly 70% of the processors sold by Intel for consumers are for mobile devices. I think the focus on efficiency will continue as it also helps the real money makers of servers.

Ughh. Am I going to have to stick with Sandy Bridge until it dies? Come on Intel, I've had the upgrade bug for a couple years now and you just refuse to give me even the thinnest excuse to pull the trigger!

Wow, was all fluff from Intel, expected a bit of a improvement in IPC, perhaps Intel should help us find where they got that 15% improvement from...

What was ryzen running for ram, people have then hitting 3600Mhz now which apparently gives some games large gains.
With this pricing structure the i5 makes no sense
It says on the second page. Hard to miss.

How so? It's $259 and faster than the $299 1700X.

Its just a core i5 7600 with two extra cores strapped on and thats exactly how it performs !!

Which may be a good thing for midrange gaming rigs. I mean Coffee Lake is basically what Kaby Lake should have been. 7600K could have been a good gaming CPU but its 4 cores + 4 threads really holds it back in this day and age. It could push out higher max frames than Ryzen but the moment it has to do more heavy AI and physics calculations the fps tanks quickly where Ryzen barely breaks a sweat. This is why similarly priced Ryzen 1600 was so much better midrange gaming CPU. However with 8600K the addition of two extra cores (with combination of higher clocks) could help to take the midrange crown back from AMD. I'm looking forward to the real life gaming tests because the synthetics may not be telling the whole story how 8600k will really perform when stressed out by heavily threaded games.

Won't this only be relevant for 6-9 months? Cannonlake and a new motherboard socket will be out next year.

If you were going to upgrade to a 7700k this seems like a good choice instead as you get more cores and threads. From a value or longevity/upgrade-ability position it's a non-starter.

Keep in mind the $359 price is for buying 1000 units or more, price will be higher for average retail.

Won't this only be relevant for 6-9 months? Cannonlake and a new motherboard socket will be out next year.

If you were going to upgrade to a 7700k this seems like a good choice instead as you get more cores and threads. From a value or longevity/upgrade-ability position it's a non-starter.

Keep in mind the $359 price is for buying 1000 units or more, price will be higher for average retail.
There will be no Cannonlake-S parts. The next desktop processor from Intel will be Icelake, which should be dropping sometime in the second half of next year. Icelake also happens to be the next new architecture in Intel's PAO cycle.

I don't think Coffee Lake is slower than Kaby. If you put in some error bars in, it could fall within the margin of error. I was looking forward to better IPC, but now I'm leaning towards Ryzen, especially if the prices on the 1700X drop.

Why is anyone surprised at the 15% marketing speech?

2017_Intel_Investor_Meeting_Renduchintala_Page_14.png

How did Kaby have 15% better performance compared to Skylake?

Frequncy bump especially on the lower end parts

I don't think Coffee Lake is slower than Kaby. If you put in some error bars in, it could fall within the margin of error. I was looking forward to better IPC, but now I'm leaning towards Ryzen, especially if the prices on the 1700X drop.
I ran those benchmarks over and over and over and could not get CL to squeek out a win.

Ive always been more keen on IPC improvements than extra cores / threads. only video editing really benefits from the extra cores, guess ill stick with skylake till the next gen. ;)

Oh, so you think you are funny, hey wiseguy?

Unfortunately I think you are right on here.

Ordered my 8700K, £359.99! ($472.61 USD).

Now I will start to look at reviews of mobos.

I'm thinking mATX, since anything more than 2 GPUs is over.

I haven't bought a full ATX sized board since I ran dual GTX 280s for a little while. :D

Civilization threads better

AotS obviously does as well

Heaven doesn't

Looking at the tests, hmm
Yup

Not sure anyone is 480p gaming
It' just to remove the GPU as bottleneck or we wouldn't see diference

Maybe you mean 1080p

If people where playing AotS with Ryzen at 1080p, then those frames would be high enough for high refresh rate gaming as well

Except I'm not sure people play AotS
Found it personally a boring RTS

My group plays AotS from time to time. The gameplay is still being heavily tweaked and rebalanced and new units are still being added to help with balancing. The game is also being directly managed by someone other than Brad Wardell of Stardock now. I love and support Stardock, and I think that Brad seems to be a nice enough fellow, but I've never really enjoyed the games he was directly responsible for (at least, while he himself was directing them personally - same thing happened with Fallen Enchantress in that it didn't get good until he handed it off). AotS is now in a much better place.You should try it again from time to time to see if the gameplay has evolved into something you'd actually enjoy playing.

It looks like OCing this CPU could be complex, depending on motherboard brands and Intel hidden secrets.

It's reviewed in french here, which is my native language. :p

Hope [H] will have a read and that online translators will do a good job.

Well at least they are doing something right. An easy 5Ghz assuming 8700k will be the same, compared to what a 5820k did just a few years ago is still a step in the right direction.

So.....No IPC increase. So the only reason these new processors are faster is because of the higher boost clock rate out of the box.

God I know 2 people who have a lot of defending and excuse making to do now Kyle! How dare you!

Holy shit!

Stock Pentium G4560 3.5 GHz (stock), equals or beats i7 8700K 5.0 GHz (OC) in 4K gaming!

:LOL:

residentevil7_3840_2160.png

rottr_3840_2160.png

sniperelite4_3840_2160.png

watchdogs2_3840_2160.png

Those charts are useless to determine a difference in CPU performance
To me they are all the same performance in all those charts
Within an error of margin
Playing in 4k means you're obviously GPU limited

But I would not be surprised if you picked them on purpose :D

Those charts are useless to determine a difference in CPU performance
To me they are all the same performance in all those charts
Within an error of margin
Playing in 4k means you're obviously GPU limited

But I would not be surprised if you picked them on purpose :D

Yes, I did pick them on purpose, but in a way not.

The funny to me, is that sometimes we argue like crazy about this IPC, that Core count, blah, blah blah... and at the end of the day, here is a Pentium in 4K gaming doing just fine.

Yet, Ryzen or this or that sucks at gaming? LOL

I guess in my head, I'm thinking we take our hobby a bit too seriously here ;-)

This looks like a good purchase for me as a 1080p 240Hz monitor user. Too bad I just can't find anywhere to purchase it. There's one site only that I find it listed as we speak in my home country Finland but it's grossly overpriced at 433 € (~$507 USD) (and here you guys were badmouthing Newegg for its slight tax premium HAH!)

I also looked elsewhere in other countries but amazon here is a no show and German sites has also very bad availability and what's worse they somehow do not seem to ship abroad anymore... was still possible the time I considered a 7700K upgrade...

Sucks to be a finnish computer hardware enthusiast in this day, times are the worst in my lifetime for number of reasons, mining driven GPU prices insane, DDR4 pricing is horrible, availability of stuff is horrible, no countries seems to wanna ship here anymore. Feels like Finland has turned into a hardware 3rd world country as of late, I start feeling ya Brazilians, Australians & co.

Last edited:
This looks like a good purchase for me as a 1080p 240Hz monitor user. Too bad I just can't find anywhere to purchase it. There's one site only that I find it listed as we speak in my home country Finland but it's grossly overpriced at 433 € (and here you guys were badmouthing Newegg for its slight tax premium HAH!)

I also looked elsewhere in other countries but amazon here is a no show and German sites has also very bad availability and what's worse they somehow do not seem to ship abroad anymore... was still possible the time I considered a 7700K upgrade...

Sucks to be a finnish computer hardware enthusiast in this day, times are the worst in my lifetime for number of reasons, mining driven GPU prices insane, DDR4 pricing is horrible, availability of stuff is horrible, no countries seems to wanna ship here anymore. Feels like Finland has turned into a hardware 3rd world country as of late.
It could not be that Intel has basically paper-launched a new multicore product that it was not ready to put into the marketplace in order impact AMD sales could it?

Any of the higher mainstream processors lose their effectiveness when used for gaming above 1080p (unless you are using a 1080Ti and 1440p) Once you hit 3440x1440 or 4k it doesn't matter all that much.

Same goes if you have a 7700k or 8700k and a G4560 and you are using a GTX1060 (or lower) at 1080p they will perform the same.

While it's great to be comparing the options we have now in the end it really depends on your whole system and use case.

But we can thank Intel for big price cuts coming to AMD :)

Yeah, sometime next year.. when Intel actually has some CPU's available for purchase. I was interested in an i5 8600K bet lets be real here, this is a paper launch. Suppliers in Canada are being told late October or early November for the first substantial shipment of CPU's and then who knows how long after that.

Spoke to friends in reselling and these parts are not cheap in my country. Expected price after tax wnd markup will be 550USD, the 1800X yesterday closed at 420USD equivalent the 1700X around 350USD and so on.

Our currency is skittish to trends and closed at 13.55 to the dollar. The motherboards are as scary. It will sell extremely badly. The 8400 will be popular.

What did die today is the 78XX family, minute of silence for Skylake X

If Ryzen 2 is strong then Intel better get it in gear with Ice Lake....

Come on, Kyle. If (say) Ryzen 2 shows significant IPC gains, I'm sure Intel will rediscover how to do the same.

Remember AMD did say Ryzen was their worst case scenario. Of course that is PR talk, but imagine if AMD can get Ryzen another good 500-600mhz. Time will tell.

Thanks [H], love these kinds of reviews.

IPC didn't change, not too surprising. But the extra cores and overclockability, hitting 5Ghz on air, means for someone needing a new system these will be a great choice.

I hope the fire under Intel's ass keeps burning... would like something to come out that really gets me excited.

Any of the higher mainstream processors lose their effectiveness when used for gaming above 1080p (unless you are using a 1080Ti and 1440p) Once you hit 3440x1440 or 4k it doesn't matter all that much.

Same goes if you have a 7700k or 8700k and a G4560 and you are using a GTX1060 (or lower) at 1080p they will perform the same.

While it's great to be comparing the options we have now in the end it really depends on your whole system and use case.

True, but I'm going for a CPU that gives me best single thread performance overall.

This will complement my other pc with lots of threads well.

True, but I'm going for a CPU that gives me best single thread performance overall.

This will complement my other pc with lots of threads well.

If single threaded performance is what you need. Stick with the 6700k or 7700k since IPC wasn't changed you should be good to go then!

Back