Intel challenges AMD: “Come beat us in Real World gaming”

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by odditory, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

I play all of these games, and even late game with lots of stuff going on my 2700x does just fine @ 4k resolution.

I don't see Intel's point here. Yes, they are technically correct, but what's laughable is they are talking about 'real world' usage when the reality is that even though AMD's stuff may be marginally slower for single-core stuff - It doesn't matter because it's already so fast the difference doesn't matter.

So you spend less to get more cores with AMD, and generally more features on the motherboard as well for less money. Not to mention AMD's platforms last longer between CPU updates.

Manny Calavera and Darth Kyrie like this.
  2. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

And to boot you can still get PCIe 4 on x470 only in the first slot, apparently due to clocking and trace length and part of why the boards are more expensive for x570, re-timing I'd imagine.

AVX512 is like SSE-2 of old when A64 and Athlon was giving Intel asspain. Very little implementation (earlier this year it was 1 then three apps maximum..).
    AMD will have AVX512 implementation in Zen2 IIRC as they doubled registers for it.

Manny Calavera likes this.
  3. isp

isp 2[H]4U

axXnqnY.png

Zion Halcyon, N4CR, filip and 2 others like this.
  4. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

Yep, I plan on upgrading off my 2700x, and will get four more cores (Or double my core count if I just wait for the 16 core Zen 2), an IPC gain, a frequency gain, along with PCIE 4.0 on my GPU slot.

You'll never get this type of upgrade on an Intel platform these days.

5. filip

filip [H]ard|Gawd

I find this funny because synthetic bench marks have been Intel's thing to the point they owned a synthetic bench mark maker and passed it off as third party. You ain't fooling me intel.

6. BrotherMichigan

BrotherMichigan [H]Lite

Fantastic. I didn't quote his statement about overall performance, I quoted his statement about IPC.

We don't yet know what Zen 2's average IPC will be yet. It will certainly be closer, but it is yet to be seen if it will match or exceed that of the *lake architecture. I expect it will, but again, nobody knows yet.

Did you even read the article?

From the conclusion:
    And from the gaming results:
    As for using XMP, it is simply an Intel spec for defining timings beyond the JEDEC spec. The timings themselves do not favor one platform over another, and without manual tuning, the end user will end up using the same timings no matter the platform they choose by enabling XMP/DOCP/whatever their motherboard of choice chooses to call those settings.

Finally, for the performance loss from the most recent security patches, that 5-15% is not typical for most users. Impact on gaming, for example, is a few percent on average and not enough to make up the gap between *lake and Zen 2.

Don't get me wrong here; I'm rooting for AMD. I buy AMD products when they make sense for me. I'm currently running a 1700X that I pre-ordered and an RX480. I have no axe to grind here beyond pointing out when people make idiotic statements that have no backing in reality.

7. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

Sorry, but without them, internet forums and Reddit etc would not even exist.

Please don't take that away.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    ikevi, Nolan7689, jeffj7 and 2 others like this.
  8. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

Those are @ 1080p. At any modern resolution like 4K, it's GPU holding you back, and there is no difference at that point between a 2700x and 8700k in these games.

Not to mention, even if you are still on a 1080p monitor, that 14% difference is the difference between like 100 FPS, and 90 FPS. Yes, that's a measurable difference, but it's not like it matters much. You aren't getting 144+ FPS either.

Now, if running benchmarks is your thing - Intel is still the king. However, Intel suggesting that they are better in the 'real world' is just a wrong statement. In the 'real world' there is almost no scenario where buying their platform/CPU will give you a better playing experience.

Manny Calavera and kirbyrj like this.
  9. BrotherMichigan

BrotherMichigan [H]Lite

Half the fun is watching the people making those statements flail around and move the goalposts every time you point out where they're wrong.

Speak of the devil! This was posted just as I was typing the above reply:
    We're talking about IPC. The above statement has nothing to do with IPC. It's not wrong, it's just has exactly ZERO RELATION to the thing we're discussing. Which, again, is IPC.

IPC.

10. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

The original discussion is based off of Intel's statement of the 'real world'. I don't particularity care about IPC if it isn't actually allowing me to run a game in the real world better to the extent that I can do something different over AMD. In every case, even at low resolutions, it isn't so much faster that this happens.

11. auntjemima

auntjemima [H]ardness Supreme

So, for your situation you won't notice a difference. Intel is saying that in gaming, they are the fastest. Which is related to IPC and clockspeed. So everything they are saying is correct.

12. BrotherMichigan

BrotherMichigan [H]Lite

Yes, and I'm being a bad forum citizen by getting a little off-topic (as I often do), but reading is essential, people!

13. OFaceSIG

OFaceSIG [H]ard|Gawd

That's true, I meant the OS side. Just wasn't clear.

14. Smoked Brisket

Smoked Brisket [H]Lite

I am for competition, not loyal to any corporation, they are damned sure not loyal to anything but a profit margin. It would be awesome if AMD can take the gaming performance crown. They havent yet. Not with cpu's or video cards. In video cards they dont even have the price/performance crown. It's disingenuous for anyone to come in here and say that 14% doesnt really matter because games are gpu limited in most 4k games. If AMD ever comes out with with a chip that beats intel by 1% you will never here any of that "gpu limited" noise in here, guaranteed.

Armenius, auntjemima and ZeroBarrier like this.
  15. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

I am tired of Intel's posturing and AMD's canned "benchmarks" give us actual benchmarks with price tags attached or STFU. I need parts I can buy, I have a lot of new equipment I have to purchase and deploy this year to staff (Laptops, Workstations, Citrix Servers) and as I have a deadline and budgets in place I will be going with who ever gets me what I need on time and within my ceiling.

Manny Calavera and Armenius like this.
  16. Mode13

Mode13 Limp Gawd

Whoaaa Intel totally going to war doodz.

17. Ranulfo

Ranulfo [H]ard|Gawd

Eh, what now? Uh, like word up my home skillet? We be putting the hammer down, keep an eye out for smokey with a chiller or two you bet. 10-4 over.

18. filip

filip [H]ard|Gawd

Where is the hello fellow kids meme

19. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

I’m gonna go home and binge Archer now.....

Mode13 likes this.
  20. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

AMD should challenge intel to a real world test

Intel gets its CPU, chipset, and the fastest Intel graphics.

AMD gets its CPU, chipset, and the fastest AMD graphics.

We can see who comes out on top?

21. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

You said real world gaming. No one uses integrated GPU's for that unless they only play titles that are a decade old.

Armenius, GotNoRice and GoodBoy like this.
  22. GotNoRice

GotNoRice [H]ardForum Junkie

And how exactly would that be a "real world test", being that in the "real world" no one cares about trying to match their CPU and GPU brand. Otherwise Nvidia would be in trouble I guess?

DedEmbryonicCe11 likes this.
  23. mikeo

mikeo Limp Gawd

Anyone dropping 500 on a 9900k probably isn't gaming at 1080p.

24. Mode13

Mode13 Limp Gawd

This isn't totally true anymore. You have hundreds of thousands of people emulating twitch heroes like shroud who is most likely running a 9900K paired with a 240hz 1080P monitor. I play competitive games at 1080P 144hz as well, about to get a 1440P 144hz panel for everything else. I can't stand gaming on my 4k monitor unless it's something I'm playing with a controller (GTA V, TW3, Dragon Quest XI, etc).... I can't stand anything under 100FPS when I'm controlling the game with a mouse anymore..

I realize the difference between even a 4790k and 9900k in many games is marginal, but people want those extra frames... I may try out a 240hz panel myself soon.

so yeah I'll be spending $500 on my next CPU and still gaming at 1080P :p

25. mikeo

mikeo Limp Gawd

I guess never having used a 240hz panel at 1080p don't know what I'm missing, but 1080p on a 4k panel is just so..... blurry.

26. Mode13

Mode13 Limp Gawd

it certainly is. It's definitely not eye candy. The trade off is purely smooth movement with no blur versus beautiful picture. This is why most people are going for 1440P 144hz (or at least 100hz ultrawide 1440).

My 1080P 144hz panel is 27" too, so a side by side comparison with my 27" 4k IPS panel makes you want to vomit :p

mikeo likes this.
  27. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

So I guess Intel loses then

28. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

I own a 9900K but even I can see Intel is desperate af. If I were to build a brand new system in the next few months, there's no way I'd choose Intel. But if there's something Intel is exceedingly good at like NVIDIA, it's marketing.

So very true, casual gamers don't understand that no hardcore gamer will choose 4k. The best setup is 240 hz + 9900k@5+ ghz, 1080P with everything set on low. I run a hybrid with a 1440p + 144hz, 9900k@5 ghz + everything on low for fps games (like Apex). Tons of Gen Z's idolize streamers and watch these guys rather than TV, they're not like Gen X or Millennials, they were raised with iPads and have been plugged into twitch all their lives. They are the future of gaming and who Intel is correctly targeting. AMD has a winner with Ryzen but they should start influencing streamers with free builds to get the word out to Gen Z.

Manny Calavera, Mode13 and Brackle like this.
  29. Mode13

Mode13 Limp Gawd

Slight veer from topic but how would you rate 240hz vs 144hz in real world experience? My go to game is still CS:GO so I could pump out those frames, but not too sure if I'd really notice it.

I have a feeling a 9900K all core @ 5ghz is still going to be outgunning a ryzen 3800x @ 4.6ghz (I assume that's around where most water cooled 3800x will land) in the gaming department, but very marginally and not worth the extra cost over a 3800x as of July.

3900x on the other hand.... gaming and streaming at the same time with ease.

30. Darth Kyrie

Darth Kyrie n00b

Thank you I was wanting to hear that and didn't even know it.

Manny Calavera, Brian_B and Mode13 like this.
  31. Mode13

Mode13 Limp Gawd

I ended up playing it about 10 times today too.. something about the fighting words in the OP made me think of Top Gun lol....

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  32. Keljian

Keljian Gawd

The reason why assassins creed origins and assassins creed odessy run better on intel at the moment Is because they make use of AVX2.

Manny Calavera and Armenius like this.
  33. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

Well... Lisa just came at them...

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  34. GotNoRice

GotNoRice [H]ardForum Junkie

You still never explained why in your fictional convoluted scenario any gamer would feel the need to use an Intel IGP just because they have an Intel CPU, and how that has anything to do with "real world gaming". I guess it's just fun to make random stuff up so you can say "Intel loses" ;)

Armenius likes this.
  35. hlfbkd420

hlfbkd420 Limp Gawd

We should tell intel that whatever they bring to the party has to be available at retail... IE, In Stock.

Attached Files:

36. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

Link?

I did my google. Didn't see a direct response but you know Intel has to be feeling the heat now.

37. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

It was in the AMD live stream at E3. AMD basically showed its Ryzen 3000 series trading blows with everything from Intel with between 6 and 12 cores. The numbers were close enough that the difference was basically meaningless at 1080P and 1440P. They also showed a 12c/24t Ryzen 3900X utterly spanking Intel's 8 core 9900K while streaming and playing the Division 2.

38. Darth Kyrie

Darth Kyrie n00b

That was hilarious, I actually lost it at that point and had to laugh at how bad it was. Then they showed that 1.6 or 1.8 FPS and I laughed even [H]arder.

39. Keljian

Keljian Gawd

Manny Calavera and mikeo like this.
  40. next-Jin

next-Jin [H]ardness Supreme

Yea that was the best part, basically they are within 5% of each other across various market segments in games and they mop the floor in multithreaded workloads and streaming.