Intel C4040 ES [Only $800,000!]

Kty

Limp Gawd
Will someone give me the low down on why this 700 hz processor is selling for the price of my house?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know anything about that particular processor, but I imagine it's due to rarity. Like it says in the auction title.

EDIT: According to this, the ES designation drives up the price. It's an engineering sample. Of course, who knows the value of such a thing?

4040 CPU series.
Enhanced version of the 4004. Introduced in 1974, 0.7MHz, 4-bit, comprising 3000 transistors. Able to address 8kbytes of memory.

More info and photos here.

When I can get a CPU with 8 cores for $170 why would I want this!?!? :confused:

JK, what I really mean is this belongs in the Discussions section. But this is cool, thanks for posting. :)

Haha, for 800k they couldn't even throw in 3 day shipping.

Shipping:

Shipping to worldwride .

"CHINA POST" : 2-7 WEEKS.

When I can get a CPU with 8 cores for $170 why would I want this!?!? :confused:

JK, what I really mean is this belongs in the Discussions section. But this is cool, thanks for posting. :)

It's a HOT DEAL though, only $800,000. What are you poor? ;)

The joke is that you actually want us to believe you have an $800k house.

The joke is that you actually want us to believe you have an $800k house.

The joke is the auction description. You'd think that an $800,000 item would be described in a bit more detail. Not only is the English translation bad, which I can accept, but it's sparse as hell. At least give me more pics and a detailed description of what I'm buying.

Oh well, since the auction's shitty I guess I'll get this instead and have enough left over to build an Ivy Bridge machine.

Some of u idiots need to learn more.. Down here in Northern California towards the bay area..
Houses here go for that much

In the bay area, if you want a 1500sq ft house its around $600k
If you want a 4000sq ft home its around $1.5-$2million

So do some research before making fun of people with homes

Yeah, but everybody in California is underwater with their mortgage so the point is kinda moot.

Renting FTW!

Seems expensive, but with free shipping I'm not sure I can afford NOT to buy this.

Typical person with a $800,000 does not hang out on an internet forum. Thats not how YOU make money. Now if its family money, I can understand. Also, if I lived in a house even half that much, I would have an i7 3960x not an i5 system. Though I guess when you spend so much on a nice Dell latitude even the owners of $800,000 houses have to scrimp a bit on their desktops.

I think I had a pretty big sim house back in the day too though. Maybe that was his reference.

Typical person with a $800,000 does not hang out on an internet forum. Thats not how YOU make money. Now if its family money, I can understand. Also, if I lived in a house even half that much, I would have an i7 3960x not an i5 system. Though I guess when you spend so much on a nice Dell latitude even the owners of $800,000 houses have to scrimp a bit on their desktops.

I think I had a pretty big sim house back in the day too though. Maybe that was his reference.

A little over 5 years ago if you could spell your name a bank would give you almost any amount for a mortgage. I know people who's family income was $30k and they had a $200k house. Also California's housing market is retarded. My house in some places in California would probably go for $800k and its a little less then 1/4 of that were I live.

800k house in cali isnt anywere nere unheard of but you can get the same house were i live for 100-200k . My house in the denver area would be worth 350-450k and im only paying 148k. I live in central new york. location location location.

And you know this how? Did you do a survey, any research or just speaking out of the blue? Of course people don't make $800k by hanging out on a forum, they make it during their day job. However, that does not exclude them from perusing a forum after or during work. You're assumption is that everyone with an $800k home has butlers, chauffers, and drive around in Bentley's. $800k is a lot but it's not an obscene amount. You need to take into account location, priorities (some people would rather live in a nice house then say nice cars or electronics), and how many kids they have. Just because someone makes a lot of money doesn't mean they don't have hobbies and interests like the average person does. I'm sure if you took a poll on what income people make on this forum there would probably be a pretty big range and I wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a bit of people making well over 6 figures on this forum.

And you know this how? Did you do a survey, any research or just speaking out of the blue? Of course people don't make $800k by hanging out on a forum, they make it during their day job. However, that does not exclude them from perusing a forum after or during work. You're assumption is that everyone with an $800k home has butlers, chauffers, and drive around in Bentley's. $800k is a lot but it's not an obscene amount. You need to take into account location, priorities (some people would rather live in a nice house then say nice cars or electronics), and how many kids they have. Just because someone makes a lot of money doesn't mean they don't have hobbies and interests like the average person does. I'm sure if you took a poll on what income people make on this forum there would probably be a pretty big range and I wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a bit of people making well over 6 figures on this forum.

I made 6 figures while you typed that post.

Will someone give me the low down on why this 700 hz processor is selling for the price of my house?

Because eBay has this handy feature that lets the person opening the auction dictate what the starting bid is?

I lol'd.

posting this from a xenon system.

Craig

The reality is, there are probably only a handful of these in existence anywhere in the world. Of course, it's nothing more than a historical footnote at this point. I'd think a 4004 ES would be more valuable since it was the "first" microprocessor.

The simple answer is that it isn't. There's no rule that says you can't ask for an absurd price for something. It's very doubtful that the CPU collecting community has enough people with deep pockets for any piece to go for even close to that.

For what 800,000 gets you in California, around here you get 3 times the house, less taxes, less crime and a lot larger than a postage stamp. lol

From my understanding computer "geeks" make 6-figure salaries on average ..

At everyone trying to be keyboard warriors, it's a 3 story house in the Bay Area, to the person saying why don't you have a 3960x system etc.? Because I don't need stuff like that to be happy, this computer does what I need it to do and want, I don't need a 12 threaded system to max out MW3 @ 1080p, I understand just to say I have it, but that's not me. To the person saying computer geeks don't make much, I make at least $119 an hour in a home run computer business. So jokes on you.

it has free shipping from China though. Awesome deal!

Shipping: FREE - ePacket delivery from China

Old, I've seen this ES CPU on sale as early as 2011. I'm surprised you guys have seen it until now.

Back