intel c2d stock TIM

ziddey

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm staring at my hsf and cpu inside the plastic right now. Other parts aren't coming for two more days. I do notice that intel's hsf is real beefy compared to the last stock one I had from them (celery 2.0). It's got a copper core and what looks like 3 pieces of a metallic colored thermal compound. How is this stuff? I'm probably just going to wipe it off and go straight to as5 that I have lying around. But I'm really curious how well their stock interfacing material does. Anyone compared?

The stock HSF sucks bigtime. Even at stock settings it was running very hot. Overclocked it was scary. I replaced mine with a Thermalright SI-128 and a 128mm Coolermaster LED fan and it looks better and cools a helluva lot better... ;)

I nearly roasted my steak on the stock hsf. I have a zalman 9500 right now.. cooool.

wow that's interesting. judging from the looks of it, it seems really half decent for a stock setup. But from what you guys are both telling me, it sounds like the TIM really doesn't make a big difference since the heatsink itself is going to reach its limits right away. Hmm, well I guess I'm not planning on watercooling until a better mobo comes out, and I'd be limited to around 2.7ghz on my current motherboard, so I figure it's good enough for now. Guess it won't hurt to slap on some as5 regardless. One thing about it that seems strange is that the copper base of the hs doesn't seem like it'd cover the heatspreader completely. I know the heat's coming from the center but still.

I would sand down the IHS on that CPU. It comes rough and concave, limiting heat transfer a lot (I've seen 10C drops from a good sanding job). Start with some 400 grit and go up to 1600. I think there are some guides you can find on this forum.

wtburnette said:
The stock HSF sucks bigtime. Even at stock settings it was running very hot. Overclocked it was scary. I replaced mine with a Thermalright SI-128 and a 128mm Coolermaster LED fan and it looks better and cools a helluva lot better... ;)
My E6300 is running under a Celery331 stock HSF right now, at 30*C - it's 69*F in my apt. Got it up to 34*C with a quick NFSC run.

I'll be putting it under a Thermaltake Tower-112 soon, but stock HSF are doing OK.

-bZj

Back