Intel Bringing 6-Core CPU SKUs to Market Soon

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
CanardPC is reporting that Intel is preparing to bring 6-Core 12-Thread processors to market in order to do battle with AMD's Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 5 series processors. While this is still a few months out, it looks like the Core i7-8700K would be at the top of the scale with a base clock of 3.7GHz and a 95W TDP. Also these 6-Core parts look to trickle down the i5 level, which simply lack HyperThreading and it looks as if there might be a i5-8400 at well.

Reactions: Cha0s
like this
And farewell 7800X, you had purpose for nearly entire month. Now it's time for you to take a place next to 7740X and 7640X.

AMD sure is feeling the heat with these CPUs around tho. Manufactured on further refined 14nm process, I'll bet these will hit 5GHz without a problem. Zen refresh better be good.

Why would they do anything without hyperthreading? Doesn't make sense. All Ryzens have SMT.

All Ryzen's except Ryzen 3, technically.

Also, Coffee Lake introducing mainstream 6c/12t was rumored for ages, I'm not sure I would call this a reaction from Intel, especially considering AMD has 8c/16t mainstream already.

There is a few errors with CPC. Like with mobile and the non K i7.

Also people will be very surprised by the 8700K turbo clocks ;)

Even when overclocked the 7800X can't beat the 7700k in gaming, here's hoping the 8700k has better cache structure with less latency.

The CPU Core wars have begun.

The CPU Core wars have begun.

Like last time its already over again. Maybe in 5 years we can get another core count increase.

Anyway, turbo clocks seems hit 4.7Ghz 1 core for 8700K. Then we save the rest for later, but they are all juicy ;)

Now we're talking!!!!
these should be killers and the best gaming cpu's there is period, regardless of benchmarks (TODAY).
They should be very close to 7700K and be future proof :D

Thanks AMD!

Now we're talking!!!!
these should be killers and the best gaming cpu's there is period, regardless of benchmarks (TODAY).
They should be very close to 7700K and be future proof :D

Thanks AMD!

It will be faster than a 7700K in everything. Also its a product known the last 2 years,

Please. If anything Intel does is a reaction to AMD we won't see it until Icelake and beyond.

New products sure that takes time. But I could see them cut prices and move 6-core to fill the old 4-core slot etc. Who knows, they got relatively huge profit margins to work with.

Last edited:
Why would they do anything without hyperthreading? Doesn't make sense. All Ryzens have SMT.
I think Intel has gotten used to not having competition, and so they think any product they can devise will sell. Look at the i3-7350k, or the i7-7740x and i5-7640x, products which make no damn sense but Intel thinks a rube is out there somewhere to buy it (and they are probably right o some extent).

No thanks. I'm sitting on a 2600k STILL and gonna go ahead and wait for 7nm Ryzen. I have a twinge in my overclocking gland that says Zen > Zen 2 is gonna be a bigass leap like Nehalem to Sandy was.

I've been rocking a 3930k 6/12c beast for years now, it will easily clock over 5G.

The only problem is that it idles at ~80C at 5G, lol.

I run at 4.4G most of the time now; I had to cut back to 4.4 from 4.6 when I updated to 2133 memory.

There's just too much heat.

The closed loop water loop I'm using now is slightly better than the heat pipe cooler I used for years, but it would need a refrigerator to cool enough to run 5G and game.

This system runs about 80C peak with all cores at 4.4G in Doom.

Judging from my experience, and the i9 testing on the web, I think we're due for a new revolution in CPU coolers, driven by Intel. :)

No thanks. I'm sitting on a 2600k STILL and gonna go ahead and wait for 7nm Ryzen. I have a twinge in my overclocking gland that says Zen > Zen 2 is gonna be a bigass leap like Nehalem to Sandy was.

You are lucky to have 2600K. 4 cores 8 threads and great overclockability that should take it close to stock Skylake performance levels so you are not in a hurry to to upgrade just yet. But my 2500K is definetly starting to show its age, only 4 Sandy cores and threads is a bottleneck these days.

I think intel will alter their stack a little, new mainstream chip speculation

2 core Celeron $50
2 core 4 thread Pentium i.e. G4560 $64 to $100 G4620
4 core new I3 $133 and I3 K at $179
4 core 8 thread new I5 K $220
6 core I7 K $330
6 core 12 thread I9 K $400

Then I'd look for the microcenter deals on 6/12 CPU for $300 ish as they have done with X99 hopefully

the best news about this last i read intel hasn't had time to move their next chipset platform to 14 nm that they were planning to launch CFL with so this accelerated launch of the 6c/12t CFL chips means its likely they will be z270 compatible and intel is just going to rename the PCH to z370 and launch z390 later on once its ready.

You are lucky to have 2600K. 4 cores 8 threads and great overclockability that should take it close to stock Skylake performance levels so you are not in a hurry to to upgrade just yet. But my 2500K is definetly starting to show its age, only 4 Sandy cores and threads is a bottleneck these days.

Actually depending what you do with your computer it might not. Not everyone is exactly like you afterall lol.

I've been rocking a 3930k 6/12c beast for years now, it will easily clock over 5G.

The only problem is that it idles at ~80C at 5G, lol.

I run at 4.4G most of the time now; I had to cut back to 4.4 from 4.6 when I updated to 2133 memory.

There's just too much heat.

The closed loop water loop I'm using now is slightly better than the heat pipe cooler I used for years, but it would need a refrigerator to cool enough to run 5G and game.

This system runs about 80C peak with all cores at 4.4G in Doom.

Judging from my experience, and the i9 testing on the web, I think we're due for a new revolution in CPU coolers, driven by Intel. :)
Doesn't downclock at idle?

Doesn't downclock at idle?
Yeah wtf I can run mine at 5ghz all day on this h80....I just don't like the temps getting above 80 on realbench so I toned it down to 4.6 where my voltage drops off heavily and thus temps go down by like 15c lol.

I gave my 2600K to my son and took his i5 something or other (2.9Ghz). I NEED this CPU. Holy hell, this thing is SLOW. So, I'm eyeballing a nice VR setup but want more cores on my CPU. Thing will last me 5+ years as the 2600K did. :)

I like competition. :)

I've had a 5930k for like a year now so not sure why a 6 core is news? Mine's running at 4.8 and has hyperthreading so.....?

Again, why it's this new?.. why people talk about competition if it's been road mapped for years.. this maybe was news 2 years ago.. so intel knew 2 years ago AMD was planning some competition for 2017?

Lol its really funny the way of thinking of some guys here..

Again, why it's this new?.. why people talk about competition if it's been road mapped for years.. this maybe was news 2 years ago.. so intel knew 2 years ago AMD was planning some competition for 2017?

Lol its really funny the way of thinking of some guys here..

Not sure how old you are. But, Intel used to have a lot less competition and prices were a lot higher for standard mainstream CPU's. The higher end ones were astronomical in price. Competition has brought the prices down and releases more often. So, yea. Competition is nice.

A 6C/12T version of 7700k would actually tempt me away from Ryzen. Right now 4C/8T 7700k is, while impressive in performance, the Core count is low enough that Ryzen 7's are equally tempting. I consider them right now with completely equal attracting force.

Or Phenom to Phenom II was?

Back