Intel Brand Tie-ins: New Avengers Packaging

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Intel must be getting desperate...with the new special edition processors, users can look forward to special Avengers packaging on the box...

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1598...rs-packaging-gives-you-a-new-box-to-play-with

Intel.jpg

Wow
So is Intel still selling processors or a happy meals now.

Maybe I'll get a figurine prize in my Avengers Intel processor happy meal box.
They really should have gotten together with McDonald's on this one. Could have included a small fry in there too.
Then I'd be in for two instead of only one.

This will be great for Intel. They can finally get a lock on the market for people who want rebaked Skylake processors and who keep the box to display and who like too-busy avengers mishmash artwork! Think of the profits!

What weird, strained marketing. I can feel the room getting swampy with flop sweat from here.

AMD doesn't enter into the situation. It cost Intel a lot of money to do this and still amounts to a self own.

OK. Intel bad!

Now I'm doing it right?

OK. Intel bad!

Now I'm doing it right?

Outside of anticompetitive conduct and a history defined by hubris? Nah, Intel's constrained by its fab/tech limitations. The Avengers tie-in is a lot of things, but a solution to those very real problems ain't one. That I'm more interested in where AMD, Apple, and even IBM's CPUs are going at this point says a lot, and I own a Core i9-7940x - you can't say I don't have an investment or that I look down on what Intel's accomplished.

Last edited:
What weird, strained marketing. I can feel the room getting swampy with flop sweat from here.

AMD doesn't enter into the situation. It cost Intel a lot of money to do this and still amounts to a self own.
Wait, so Intel is paying Marvel so they can advertise for them? o_O

Wait, so Intel is paying Marvel so they can advertise for them? o_O
Using somebody else's copyright to promote your own products is gonna involve compensation, especially for anything as high dollar as Marvel Comics characters. There's bound to be some kind of agreement in place, and given the circumstances I can't imagine Disney paid Intel for this. It is possible that Intel will get promotion in future MCU movies as a consequence, but whatever the details, this is a pretty square end result.

I blame RGB for this, people want shiny flashy lights on a computer having movie(??) tie ins is the next logical step.

Using somebody else's copyright to promote your own products is gonna involve compensation, especially for anything as high dollar as Marvel Comics characters. There's bound to be some kind of agreement in place, and given the circumstances I can't imagine Disney paid Intel for this. It is possible that Intel will get promotion in future MCU movies as a consequence, but whatever the details, this is a pretty square end result.
Technobabble Scientist A: "Avengers we need you to use our new weapon that is powered by the all new Intel 12th Gen CPU that is using Socket 1234 with 16 cores clocked at 5Ghz, not the 4.5Ghz that inferior competitors are clocked at (Avengers start chuckling at the joke), while maintaining 65w TDP and under 60 degrees C. Please try not to overclock it further as that could void the warranty and cause the bad guy to win. "

Why all the hate, lads? Video card manufacturers(ati, nvidia) have been doing this forever..
View attachment 270585

It's a little different when it's an in-house mascot. Farming out cool factor to Marvel is awkward, and screams that they're trying to buy cool points while not having a clear idea of what the people buying their stuff actually want or like.

Technobabble Scientist A: "Avengers we need you to use our new weapon that is powered by the all new Intel 12th Gen CPU that is using Socket 1234 with 16 cores clocked at 5Ghz, not the 4.5Ghz that inferior competitors are clocked at (Avengers start chuckling at the joke), while maintaining 65w TDP and under 60 degrees C. Please try not to overclock it further as that could void the warranty and cause the bad guy to win. "

Ultron comes back but is running on inferior ARM CPUs, while the virtuous Avengers use only all-American, artisinal Intel processors. That Iron Man's new suit has to vent off a terrifying amount of heat that incinerates friend and foe alike every six seconds from specially designed Mega Lake Vents is a feature, not a bug.

Last edited:
lol, I'm being a try hard when there are daily links in the news forum about how bad Intel is?
Why are you taking it personally? Intel is making a lot of missteps so there's news about it. It's time to separate yourself from the product.

Human Torch is an Avenger too... just saying, missed opportunity. :troll:
The movies took a bunch of liberties ... but if I remember correctly from when I was young and collecting comics... Vision was created using the body of the human torch.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just too old and/ or out of the loop, but New Avengers?

Its a tie in for the latest Avengers game coming out next month. Damn near everyone has a marketing tie in with the game. There are Verizon phone skins for the Avengers if you're a Verizon customer, some gum brand has tie ins and a few others I've forgotten about.

Reactions: Halon
like this
lol, I'm being a try hard when there are daily links in the news forum about how bad Intel is?

So out of the 1st page of "News" 4 of the 40 articles are about Intel. One is about their Xe graphics, and two others are about future products, and then there's this one.

I just don't see what you're after here.

FWIW, there's also an News thread debunking AMD myths by Techno Jesus.

Why are you taking a topic on silly/stupid marketing as if someone kicked your dog? Also, daily links? When? Where? Because it's not here. Don't get so attached to a brand that any negative news about it becomes a personal affront.

Or, to put it simply: Fucking chill bro.

What this thread is about: "Oh hey, Intel's doing a silly thing, and some people indicate it is reflective of their marketing being broadly out of touch." OR, "relax, this isn't limited to Intel, Disney's just playing fast and loose with promotion for a new video game. This is the company that engages in branded cross-promotion with Dole bananas, so maybe we should calm down."

What this thread is not about: Personal identity being tied into corporate performance; edgelording; why AMD is good/bad/kicked my dog; any kind of diffuse grievance not pertaining to the fact that Intel is going to ship CPUs in Avengers-branded boxes, and bothered to update the CPUID tag to include an "A."

What I admit to: That depending on how we define compensation, Intel may have received money or some other consideration in exchange for going a little bit out of its way to advertise for Disney while itself hoping to benefit from the product association. I could easily have been wrong about the financial terms by which Disney and Intel are moving along with this thing.

Relax, folks. The real world's got plenty of real shit to keep you up at night.

I bet those boxes alone will sell for close to $30 on Ebay. There are some hardcore Marvel collectors.

wow you are off by more than a country mile

Vision is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. He is an android and a member of the Avengers who first appeared in The Avengers #57 (October 1968).

Ya ... how about no.

“ A storyline in the Avengers, dealing with the secret background of its android member, the Vision, gradually revealed that the Torch's body had been found by a renegade robot named Ultron 5 and modified to become the Vision, his mind wiped of past memories and his powers altered with the coerced help of the Human Torch's original creator, Phineas Horton. The seed of this idea was planted by artist Neal Adams and worked out in detail in The Avengers #133–135 (May–June 1975) by writer Steve Englehart.”

Ya ... how about no.

“ A storyline in the Avengers, dealing with the secret background of its android member, the Vision, gradually revealed that the Torch's body had been found by a renegade robot named Ultron 5 and modified to become the Vision, his mind wiped of past memories and his powers altered with the coerced help of the Human Torch's original creator, Phineas Horton. The seed of this idea was planted by artist Neal Adams and worked out in detail in The Avengers #133–135 (May–June 1975) by writer Steve Englehart.”

different Torch with no relation the the FF, probably the confusion.

The FF human torch is a reboot of the original human torch which was used to create vision:
"Created by writer Stan Lee and artist Jack Kirby, Johnny Storm is a renovation of Carl Burgos's original character, the android Human Torch, created for Timely Comics in 1939"

They are still seperate characters with no direct relation within the comics themselves. Plenty of characters are reimaginings or straight up copies with no actual 'relation' in the comics, not everyone cares to go behind the curtain.

Seems like a Taco Bell promotion, here's a fancy box with some shit inside you won't be satisfied with, no toy, no reach around, and no pass go.

Back