Intel Boot Agent

I'm trying to boot diagnostic CDs, but every time I set the boot ordr to optical drive first, hard drive second , this fucking Intel Boot Agent flops up first and starts doing something which loops indefinitely. I cant see a way to override it in the mobo BIOS (I've set the optical drive as the first boot device for Christ's sake), and there's sweet FA to see in the NIC's own BIOS. Looks like you can disable it altogether via a DOS F/W flash, but I don't want to have to do that. I just want to boot a CD now and then. What can I do?

how is this networking related ? how about pressing f12 when booting ?

You can turn it off in the settings of the Intel NIC in the > control panel > network and sharing > change adapter settings. Go to the local area network, properties, advance. Inside one of the tabs/settings, there is a way to turn off Intel Boot Agent.

You can turn it off in the settings of the Intel NIC in the > control panel > network and sharing > change adapter settings. Go to the local area network, properties, advance. Inside one of the tabs/settings, there is a way to turn off Intel Boot Agent.

He can't even get to that point, and I don't think it's bothering him inside the OS, it's booting to the OS which he can't do because of it.
Good call, but he needs to disable it before loading the OS, not after.

I'd like to know the answer to this as well, if there is an option outside of flashing the BIOS, which may be his only option.

Isn't CTRL S or CTRL E (something like that) the way to enter the Intel Boot ROM and disable the PXE booting?

He can't even get to that point, and I don't think it's bothering him inside the OS, it's booting to the OS which he can't do because of it.
Good call, but he needs to disable it before loading the OS, not after.

He didn't say he couldn't get into Windows.

go in and disable the onboard boot rom, also disable the onboard NIC.

Try booting off a different cd too, if that fails it's probably your cd rom drive.

He didn't say he couldn't get into Windows.

You're right, but even so, disabling it in the OS won't help him at all, so it's a mute point.
He needs to disable it on the BIOS level.

It would look something like this. You can click on disable and it will write it on the rom.

intelboot.png

Nice find, they've definitely updated the Boot Agent since I last worked with it.

OP, plunger's post should fix your issue.

If its an onboard nic there should be something like a NIC option boot rom that you should be able to disable/enable to disable/enable PXE support like someone else mentioned.

Have you tried moving ports or accessing the stand-alone BIOS on the NIC itself?

Tested it on another system?

Back