Intel BoneTrail X38 Motherboard *Pictures*

V2V3

n00b
Aside from the 8GHz Project we have been hard at work playing with a few other things, Just wanted to give everyone a look at whats comming up in the world of Intel Motherboards.

As soon as we can we will get some X38 benchmarks up.

Right now we are looking for a nice set of Crossfire Cards :)

Enjoy!

Intel X38 Overclocking board:
DX38BT BoneTrail!

Yes it is an IHS was used w/ the X38 to prevent the DIE from breaking when after market cooling is being used.

So far the Bonetrail doesn't support SLI, however later versions of the board may be fitted paired an Nvidia MCP to allow SLI on an X38 board.

The X38 uses DDR3 and has 3x PCI-Express 2.0 slots can some one say Crossfire 2.0?
LGA775 and Penryn Compatible!

Full Log of Intel X38 Bonetrail Motherboard Photo's here

DX38BTValid.jpg

CPUZ Valid http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=244354

DSC04653-1.jpg

Bonetrail Bios

DSC04724.jpg

X38 Retail on the left and with After market cooling on the right

DSC04230.jpg

CPU Liquid Cooling

DSC04213.jpg

X38 Northbridge w/ IHS "Integrated Heat Spreader"

DSC04183.jpg

Rear Mounting Bracket for Northbridge cooler

DSC04733.jpg

DDR3

hmm Anyone know a specific date we can actually purchase these boards the wait is killing me!!!! :eek:

No SLI. Sigh, looks like another Intel board I have to pass on :( The Skulltrail does look awesome though with SLI :D

Bone... that... tail!!! It's either the abit IX38 QuadGT or Bonetrail for me, depending on the state of DDR3. Just one question: this board will undoubtedly command a premium, so... why all the old caps? Intel can't spring for the solid alu caps, or is it that it just doesn't make a difference?

WTF? Intel doesn't usually suck at board layouts. That one bites. The aux power connector is poorly placed as is the memory slots.

Roughly the same layout as my BadAxe2 - but w/o the fancy flamed heatsinks.

-bZj

+1 for a sexy board
-1 for DDR3 only :(

Exactly...I like the idea, especially after the Bad Axe boards, but DDR3 has me shaking my head until prices come down.

WTF? Intel doesn't usually suck at board layouts. That one bites. The aux power connector is poorly placed as is the memory slots.

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the Aux Power and the memory slots. Personally, as long as it's on that side of the board and I don't have to cross over the CPU heatsink to get to the AUX input, I'm happy :). I guess the memory slots could be a little further to the right (in the pic) so you could access them easier with a longer (8800 series) card in the slot, but it seems to be pretty standard placement from what I've seen. Has there ever been a board whose layout you actually liked :p ?

... I guess the memory slots could be a little further to the right (in the pic) so you could access them easier with a longer (8800 series) card in the slot, but it seems to be pretty standard placement from what I've seen. Has there ever been a board whose layout you actually liked :p ?

Besides an Asus board, you mean? :p Just kidding, Dan! ;)

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the Aux Power and the memory slots. Personally, as long as it's on that side of the board and I don't have to cross over the CPU heatsink to get to the AUX input, I'm happy :).

Isn't he referring to the Molex connector next to the bottom PCI slot? That seems like bad placement, but you may be able to run a power cable underneath the motherboard to get to it.

Exactly...I like the idea, especially after the Bad Axe boards, but DDR3 has me shaking my head until prices come down.

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the Aux Power and the memory slots. Personally, as long as it's on that side of the board and I don't have to cross over the CPU heatsink to get to the AUX input, I'm happy :). I guess the memory slots could be a little further to the right (in the pic) so you could access them easier with a longer (8800 series) card in the slot, but it seems to be pretty standard placement from what I've seen. Has there ever been a board whose layout you actually liked :p ?

Not being able to install and remove memory modules easy with a full sized video card installed is bullshit and something I find personally annoying. From the look of those pictures it seems as though you'd have to remove the video card to get memory in or out of the slots easily.

The aux power connector is in the worst place possible. I have no desire to make a power cable run that far out there especially since I have no other devices in the area that need power. If you have a case that has the motherboard inverted this might be less of an issue but after having built several systems with motherboards that have their aux power in a similar location, I have to deem that placement unacceptable. It wouldn't necessarily stop me from buying the board, but I'd never be happy about where that connector was placed.

Isn't he referring to the Molex connector next to the bottom PCI slot? That seems like bad placement, but you may be able to run a power cable underneath the motherboard to get to it.

Not being able to install and remove memory modules easy with a full sized video card installed is bullshit and something I find personally annoying. From the look of those pictures it seems as though you'd have to remove the video card to get memory in or out of the slots easily.

The aux power connector is in the worst place possible. I have no desire to make a power cable run that far out there especially since I have no other devices in the area that need power. If you have a case that has the motherboard inverted this might be less of an issue but after having built several systems with motherboards that have their aux power in a similar location, I have to deem that placement unacceptable. It wouldn't necessarily stop me from buying the board, but I'd never be happy about where that connector was placed.

I didn't notice that molex way down there at the bottom. Yes, that is ridiculous. I thought you were talking about the "other" AUX power 8-pin connector up by the CPU. I agree though, the RAM slots are kind of annoying. On my current board, I have to remove my 8800 card to access memory modules which is a pain. I think it has more to do with which slot they put the video card in. As they are looking to have three x16 slots, they necessarily put it as close to the CPU as possible unlike some other boards which might have a PCIe x1 slot up there, thus making a little more room to add/remove memory without removing the video card.

Besides an Asus board, you mean? :p Just kidding, Dan! ;)

There are plenty of ASUS boards that have layout issues or just issues in general. The Striker Extreme is one such board that while having nearly a perfect layout is unimpressive in terms of performance and is flaky to say the least.

Has there ever been a board whose layout you actually liked :p ?

I know that I am more critical than most, but yes, there are a few boards that have excellent layouts. There is always some room for improvement though. The Intel D975XBX2 had a great layout, the Striker Extreme has a pretty good layout, the EVGA 680i SLI also has a great layout. The P5K Deluxe wasn't bad and the ASUS Blitz Formula was near perfection across the entire design.

I surely am referring to that molex connector. In any case yes you can get around it somehow but the fact remains that it's bad placement. All your board power connectors should be grouped together as much as possible. Running a power cable down to that connector can cause you issues later on with card installation depending on what the final system configuration turns out to be.

There are plenty of ASUS boards that have layout issues or just issues in general. The Striker Extreme is one such board that while having nearly a perfect layout is unimpressive in terms of performance and is flaky to say the least.

I know that I am more critical than most, but yes, there are a few boards that have excellent layouts. There is always some room for improvement though. The Intel D975XBX2 had a great layout, the Striker Extreme has a pretty good layout, the EVGA 680i SLI also has a great layout. The P5K Deluxe wasn't bad and the ASUS Blitz Formula was near perfection across the entire design.

I surely am referring to that molex connector. In any case yes you can get around it somehow but the fact remains that it's bad placement. All your board power connectors should be grouped together as much as possible. Running a power cable down to that connector can cause you issues later on with card installation depending on what the final system configuration turns out to be.

D975XBX2 with great layout ?? It has the same placement as the DX38BT here and the stupid memory slots placement as well. It's so close to the video card that you cannot even put a OCZ XTC cooler there and the Corsair Dominator Airflow fit very very barely (only 1/16" of clearance between the video card and the Airflow fan). Even the aux power connector (4 pin molex) is at the same place as the DX38BT ;)

Back