Intel Bad Axe 2

Viperman5000

Weaksauce
OK, for those of you who have this board:

I recently purchased, and more recently, built my new system using this motherboard. Awesome BTW.

I just have one question; There is a 1x4 power "adapter", if you will, on the bottom left corner of the HSF, that I don't have anything plugged into at the moment. Should there be?

Here, this might help. I don't know, I guess I'm paranoid. :(
badaxe2.gif

they have that on some other board, but they said its for like the floppy drive use or something, so im pretty sure u can do without

a lot of boards have that to bolster the PCI-E when using dual graphics setups (Crossfire/SLI)

BUFF said:
a lot of boards have that to bolster the PCI-E when using dual graphics setups (Crossfire/SLI)

its for power for the mobo what more do you need?

imho, its worth the hassle of organizing a molex to get over there just for the piece of mind.

Hypothetical, your mobo needs some extra power, for one reason or another, it asks for Power circuit #212 to supply 2 Amps of 12V, only to find that #212 isnt carrying any power! what does your system do? BSOD.

I have no idea if thats even remotly what its like, but you see what im playing at. its quite possible thats a supply for the graphics cards. As I recall, 75W of 12V is put over the PCI-e lanes, so yes, maybe your computer will function without it plugged in, but its a good idea to plug it in.

FYI, my 680i board wont boot without that molex plugged in. Mind you C40 is just a power HOG.

You only need to use this if you dont use the 4 pin part of the 24 pin power connector of your psu. All modern psu's and motherboards use a 24 pin power plug these days but many older psu's only have a 20 pin power connector. You can still power the board with the 20 pin connector but if you are using a high wattage video card then you would need to use the 4 pin molex (the connector you circled) as well. Just use the full 24 pin power connector and leave the molex empty. It says this in the manual further on if you read on.

to my understanding the extra 4 pins on the 24 pin to 20 pin are two 3.3V supplies and two 3.3V returns.

dont think so.

This is what it says in the manual. This topic is also explained pretty in depth over at xtreme on a thread there. I use this board and i don't power this connector.

My take on this is if Intel put a power connector on their motherboard, then it should be used. I plug a molex connector into it and don't have any issues. Does this prove that I would actually have issues if I didn't actually plug into it? Nope, I just choose to error on the side of caution.

Shawn

Well i am doing what the manual says to do so you guys go ahead and do whatever makes you feel safe. The xbx2 manual spells it out very clearly when to use and when not to use the molex power connector...

Astrodave said:
Well i am doing what the manual says to do so you guys go ahead and do whatever makes you feel safe. The xbx2 manual spells it out very clearly when to use and when not to use the molex power connector...

This is a qoute from the manual:

"Use of the 1x4 power connector is required with ATX12V power supplies with 2x10 connectors when using PCI Express cards that can consume up to 75 W."

Nowhere does it say when NOT to use it. I'll go on. The next part is taken from page 70 of the manual. This part is typed exactly as it appears in the book, (the names were not changed to protect the innocent) it is the 4 steps on plugging in power to the motherboard.

Quote:
1. Observe the precautions in "Before You Begin" on page 38.

2. Connect the 12 V processor core voltage power supply cable to the 2x4 connector. Use the 2x2 to 2x4 adapter if needed.

Note - Do not use the 2x2 to 2x4 adapter when using an Intel Pentium processor Extreme Edition or a processor that is not running at its default settings. Doing so may result in damage to the desktop board.

3. Connect the 1x4 power supply cable to the 1x4 connector.

4. Connect the main power supply cable to the 2x12 connector (see Figure 28)

End quote.

Now, where in the above steps does it actually tell you NOT to plug in to the 1x4 connector? It doesn't. The manual never states to not use it, in fact the directions have you using it, even with plugging in a 24-pin connector. If you were doing what the manual says to do, you'd have it plugged in.

Shawn

Jeez people, it was just a simple question.

I thank those for giving good advice. I haven't seen it on any other motherboards I've used, and since I don't use instructions half the time, I didn't plug it in.

All in all, I guess I'll plug one in.

Back