Intel Bad Axe 2 or Asus Striker Extreme

Vegasr

Gawd
I have everything except the motherboard. X6800 and 8800GTX are the main components so now just need to decide between the BOXD975XBX2KR or the Striker Extreme.

Recommendations between the two?

If you are wondering which overclocks better I'd say its still too early to tell. The Striker Extreme is still new and not alot of people have it yet to test its full potential. But... the BA2 is a 570 chipset and the SE uses a 680i chipset so the SE should be able to achieve higher overclocks.Generally speaking the 680i chipset mobos should overclock higher. I'm thinking the SE will overclock higher than the BA2 once ASUS gets a good mature BIOS established for it.

Pricing and features could come into play though. If you dont care about SLI and would be happy with a E6600 getting 450-475fsb max on a E6600 at a low cost then the BA2 might be the better deal for you. But if you want SLI and something that can possibly push 500fsb or more (I think it has the potential to hit 500fsb given the right combo and mature bios), and not worried about cost then the SE may be the better choice.

So with Inte's board, are you saying that the 975X chipset is a 570 chipset?

I probably won't overclock too much. I have been using SLi for the past year and plan on having two cards in the future. Just don't know if I will get a second 8800GTX or possible two ATI cards, when they come out.

I am just curious what the census is out their between these two boards and if you had two choose between the two, then which one would it be.

If it boils down to the type of video cards, then that would make it easier to decide.

Thanks

ok, Skott, you got it all wrong.

The Asus P5N32-SLI deluxe, and the Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe are both on the Nforce 4 32X intel Edition platform. The SE was just a rebuild that supported the new power management Core 2 Duo required. so the SE model supports C2D, the non-SE one supports (officially) up to the Pentium D 900 series.

The Asus P5N-SLI is on the Nforce 570 SLI Intel Edition Chipset.

The Asus P5N32-SLI Premium is on the Nforce 590 Intel Edition Chipset, which, as the name implys, gives a full 16 lanes to each card, even when running SLI.

The Asus P5N32-E SLI is on the Nforce 680i chipset, along with the Asus Striker Extreme.

Seems to me, and this probibly will start some flame but, I dont mean anything offensive, the XBX2 is just a bump Intel is giving their XBX motherboards. It features official support for DDR2 800, it has new BIOS, and it officially supports kentsfield. XBX has always unofficially supported DDR2 800, if you bought some DDR2 800, it would post out-of-the-box (no bios fiddling required), and 90% of the time, it would boot, out-of-the-box. The BIOS is completely board-partner controlled. So this is irrelivent. And, Well, I dont know enough about the XBX motherboard to claim it could run a kentsfield processer. But seriosly, you will see a subtraction in FPS if you go from a Conroe proc to its Kentsfield counterpart. Quad core procs can and will only be fully utilized in the Server market, but this is for a differant arguement.

I would go with a 680i chip-setted motherboard, because, on an E6300, i have heard of people making 500MHz FSB with no voltage bump. Plus, im an SLI guy, and, while it doesnt matter yet, and prob wont between now and the use of PCI-E2, the extra lanes you get per card on 680I, over 975X makes me feel like its more futureproof.

Vegasr said:
So with Inte's board, are you saying that the 975X chipset is a 570 chipset?

I probably won't overclock too much. I have been using SLi for the past year and plan on having two cards in the future. Just don't know if I will get a second 8800GTX or possible two ATI cards, when they come out.

I am just curious what the census is out their between these two boards and if you had two choose between the two, then which one would it be.

If it boils down to the type of video cards, then that would make it easier to decide.

Thanks

If you want two cards then yes it comes down to ATI or Nvidia and that will make your board choice easy, you can go 7950 and then go with ether board , If you go ATI then you need to give the RD600 a look as well.

Who knows how far intel will go with support on the axe, this area is new to them but if what they have done so far with the axe is any indication, I would say the axe has a good future, also keep in mind that the Striker runs hot and will require good cooling if you decide to OC it.

You need to research the two boards and decide on your own, I don't think anyone can answer this question for you except your self. Both are great boards but you need to know what you want out of them and the features that you want or need. They both overclock well depending on your skills.

Spend some time on http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/ both of these have or will be pushed to their limits over there :D

MrWizard6600 said:
ok, Skott, you got it all wrong.

The Asus P5N32-SLI deluxe, and the Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe are both on the Nforce 4 32X intel Edition platform. The SE was just a rebuild that supported the new power management Core 2 Duo required. so the SE model supports C2D, the non-SE one supports (officially) up to the Pentium D 900 series.

The Asus P5N-SLI is on the Nforce 570 SLI Intel Edition Chipset.

The Asus P5N32-SLI Premium is on the Nforce 590 Intel Edition Chipset, which, as the name implys, gives a full 16 lanes to each card, even when running SLI.

The Asus P5N32-E SLI is on the Nforce 680i chipset, along with the Asus Striker Extreme.

Seems to me, and this probibly will start some flame but, I dont mean anything offensive, the XBX2 is just a bump Intel is giving their XBX motherboards. It features official support for DDR2 800, it has new BIOS, and it officially supports kentsfield. XBX has always unofficially supported DDR2 800, if you bought some DDR2 800, it would post out-of-the-box (no bios fiddling required), and 90% of the time, it would boot, out-of-the-box. The BIOS is completely board-partner controlled. So this is irrelivent. And, Well, I dont know enough about the XBX motherboard to claim it could run a kentsfield processer. But seriosly, you will see a subtraction in FPS if you go from a Conroe proc to its Kentsfield counterpart. Quad core procs can and will only be fully utilized in the Server market, but this is for a differant arguement.

I would go with a 680i chip-setted motherboard, because, on an E6300, i have heard of people making 500MHz FSB with no voltage bump. Plus, im an SLI guy, and, while it doesnt matter yet, and prob wont between now and the use of PCI-E2, the extra lanes you get per card on 680I, over 975X makes me feel like its more futureproof.

MrWizard,
Okay, I think I confused you in my post. I was only talking about two mobos. The BadAxe2 (BA2) and the Striker Extreme (SE) because thats the only two mobos Vegasr was asking about. If I understood his original post correctly. I guess when I said SE you thought I meant the P5N32 model when in fact I was referring to the Striker Extreme. I should have stated what I meant by SE before using that abreviation. Sorry about that.

Vegasr,
I'm saying the 570 chipset mobos (The BadAXE 1/2 are two such mobos) use the LGA775 (Allendales/Conroes) processors. When I was talking about the overclocking (OC) aspect of the two types of mobos I was speaking in terms of front side bus (fsb). If you want ATI Crossfire you have to go with the 570 mobos. if you want SLI you'll want to go with the newer 680i mobos. As far as fsb overclocking goes it is probably going to be the 680i mobos that win out. Its a little too early yet to be sure but its looking that way so far.

I read a Striker Extreme post that someone said they got 500fsb stable with it but I'd wait to see if others can do the same before saying all Striker Extreme mobos can do that. The best stable fsb I have heard a 570 mobo get was 475 stable and that was a BadAxe2. The thread is over at XtremeSystems forums.

Decapitator is correct when he says you'll need to look at the two mobos closely and make your own choice based on your needs, wants, and affordability.

I'm saying the 570 chipset mobos (The BadAXE 1/2 are two such mobos)

Again, you are not correct. The BadAxe 1/2 are INTEL chipset motherboards. The 570 chipset is made by NVIDIA. The BadAxe 1/2 use the INTEL 975X chipset.

Shawn

verncat05 said:
Again, you are not correct. The BadAxe 1/2 are INTEL chipset motherboards. The 570 chipset is made by NVIDIA. The BadAxe 1/2 use the INTEL 975X chipset.

Shawn

Hmmmm...ok, I knew the BadAxes were Intel mobos and all. I thought the 570 chipsets were something both Intel and nVidia used. Guess I was wrong about that. My bad. Thanks for correction. All these nomenclature numbers and everything gets confusing after a while. :eek:

Back