Intel Arc Beats NVIDIA and AMD to Hogwarts Legacy Game Ready Drivers

So the manufacturer of a GPU almost no one uses beat AMD and Nvidia to market with optimized drivers for a game almost no one plays?

Yay, I guess?

Also, one might wonder how necessary new drivers are to support an Unreal Engine 4 title. That engine is pretty well established at this point.

It is a good sign that Intel is trying to take this stuff seriously though. Hopefully it is an indication that they are sticking with the GPU market, and not abandoning it like they have a lot of other stuff lately.

ig there's some hype surrounding this Hogwarts that Intel Arc team wants to capitalize on for the clout

Reactions: ChadD
like this
But nVidia whqls are out now

“Intel became the first of the three discrete GPU makers to release a day-0 graphics driver for "Hogwarts Legacy."”

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/304568/...and-amd-to-hogwarts-legacy-game-ready-drivers

https://www.techpowerup.com/304585/nvidia-releases-geforce-528-49-game-ready-drivers
You know it's the top-selling game on Steam right? And between current sales, pre-sales, and console sales all the talk of a boycott only seems to have made it sell more.

So the manufacturer of a GPU almost no one uses beat AMD and Nvidia to market with optimized drivers for a game almost no one plays?

Yay, I guess?

Also, one might wonder how necessary new drivers are to support an Unreal Engine 4 title. That engine is pretty well established at this point.

It is a good sign that Intel is trying to take this stuff seriously though. Hopefully it is an indication that they are sticking with the GPU market, and not abandoning it like they have a lot of other stuff lately.
GPUs are an area Intel knows it can't afford to fail in right now, GPU sales have overtaken CPUs for most datacenter and certainly for supercomputer projects which traditionally have been Intel's bread and butter. ARM has also been creeping up in big usage because they are super efficient for highly transactional servers processing payment or hosting web services, that sort of stuff where their ridiculous core counts keep things moving fast with fewer known attack points (Hyperthreading is still an issue because of how the threads share access). If Intel fails here or steps out they are essentially giving up that market to AMD and Nvidia and it is not something they can afford to do and they know it, the GPU space has become a make-or-break issue for them so they must power through.
In the consumer space, GPU acceleration is also stepping up, in a lot of basic things that users do every day and new technology is starting to depend on it more and more and that isn't changing, again here they must step up or they are just creating a product that will require Nvidia GPUs to be competitive and that increases implementation costs for OEMs which will make them look towards AMD who has in the past year or two greatly stepped up their OEM game. AMD has been working with OEMs to ease up their integration in a big way which will cause them to get more contracts for more systems, and pair that with their node advantage (TSMC 4 vs Intel 7), and for ultra-thin or high-performance AMD is going to walk all over Intel's current lineup, which leaves Intel battling for Mobile workstations where they are paired with Nvidia, or for budget consumer devices and basic small business devices. I can't speak towards all Enterprise but I know right now almost everything I am being offered for bulk purchasing has an MX550 in it because it resolves so many remote work and teleconference issues that Intel doesn't do.

TLDR;
The GPU space is not one Intel can afford to back away from, it's a hill they must be prepared to die on.

Yay, I guess?

The game just came out and is one of the most highly anticipated games in years.

There were a million people watching the game on Twitch streams on PC/console pre-order launch day. Cheap version releases on Friday.
The game just came out and is one of the most highly anticipated games in years.

My bad.

I don't exactly use twitch. I don't have an account, and have never posted or even watched a stream. What goes on on Twitch is completely irrelevant to me.

I'm usually pretty cued into new big game releases through the grape vine, forums and news sites though, and this thread was the first I'd heard of it, so based on the lack of buzz in my circles I assumed it was a minor ignorable title. Then again, I guess my circles skew older. You know the age group that knows sort of what Harry Potter is, but think of it as "that childrens book that came out a few years ago".

I should say that I have never enjoyed a title set in the universe established in a movie or majorly popular book. Even going way back to the 8bit era, the worst games were the games that used the IP of other media, and that seems to just continually repeat itself over time. Every time I've tried a game based on a film universe, be it Marvel or Batman or you name it, it has generally been "meh" and forgettable.

That seems to check out when I am googling what people are saying about this Hogwarts games. The temperature in the room seems to be "it's not bad, it's actually a pretty decent game, but its not really for Harry Potter fans, and maybe would have been better released without the Harry Potter IP"

Yay, I guess?

Yeah I don't get "optimized drivers" for an established engine where the process of handling graphics is essentially the same for each game. I don't even think there's enough change to unreal 5 to warrant that many updates for games produced in it either. Still, I hope Intel is successful, the market could use a shake up.

My bad.

I don't exactly use twitch. I don't have an account, and have never posted or even watched a stream. What goes on on Twitch is completely irrelevant to me.

I'm usually pretty cued into new big game releases through the grape vine, forums and news sites though, and this thread was the first I'd heard of it, so based on the lack of buzz in my circles I assumed it was a minor ignorable title. Then again, I guess my circles skew older. You know the age group that knows sort of what Harry Potter is, but think of it as "that childrens book that came out a few years ago".

I should say that I have never enjoyed a title set in the universe established in a movie or majorly popular book. Even going way back to the 8bit era, the worst games were the games that used the IP of other media, and that seems to just continually repeat itself over time. Every time I've tried a game based on a film universe, be it Marvel or Batman or you name it, it has generally been "meh" and forgettable.

That seems to check out when I am googling what people are saying about this Hogwarts games. The temperature in the room seems to be "it's not bad, it's actually a pretty decent game, but its not really for Harry Potter fans, and maybe would have been better released without the Harry Potter IP"
Every place I look this game is being blasted because of either JK being blah blah blah, or the game's director is a blah blah blah, so there has been talk for a solid year on why we should boycott this game because it is insulting to <insert marginalized demographic here>, with other big sources saying well that only hurts the people working for them not the people you are angry at so please don't boycott it. Which results in flamewars all around and nothing constructive happening. It's a very controversial game right now, best summed up with this gem right here.
Strip20230102a-1.x68566.png

Every place I look this game is being blasted because of either JK being blah blah blah, or the game's director is a blah blah blah, so there has been talk for a solid year on why we should boycott this game because it is insulting to <insert marginalized demographic here>, with other big sources saying well that only hurts the people working for them not the people you are angry at so please don't boycott it. Which results in flamewars all around and nothing constructive happening. It's a very controversial game right now, best summed up with this gem right here.
View attachment 547552

heh, and there I was just thinking the Harry Potter universe was a lame franchise for kids in the lame "fantasy" genre :p

oh. and it's third person (boo, hiss)

I don't understand how I ahve completely missed all of this controversy. Until this thread I had literally never heard of the game, and I spend good chunks of my day, every day reading sites on the border of tech and gaming enthusiasm :p

View attachment 547552
I guess it's back to Leisure Suit Larry then...

Yeah I don't get "optimized drivers" for an established engine where the process of handling graphics is essentially the same for each game. I don't even think there's enough change to unreal 5 to warrant that many updates for games produced in it either. Still, I hope Intel is successful, the market could use a shake up.
The optimization is mostly do deal with issues created by the porting process, for multi-platform development.
Nvidia also has released its optimized drivers for it in version 528.49, it's in the release notes but they chose to leave it from the splash page and announcements because they didn't want to deal with the vocal groups who would get noisy if they publicized it.

Profile "Hogwarts Legacy" ShowOn GeForce ProfileType Application Executable "phoenix-win64-test.exe" Executable "hogwartslegacy.exe" Setting ID_0x105e2a1d = 0x00000004 Setting ID_0x10f9dc81 = 0x00000011 Setting ID_0x10f9dc84 = 0x01000000 Setting ID_0x80857a28 = 0x00000001 EndProfile

You know it's the top-selling game on Steam right? And between current sales, pre-sales, and console sales all the talk of a boycott only seems to have made it sell more.
It's almost as marketing cought up with manufactured outrage potential.

View attachment 547552

I really wish my life was on easy mode to the point where I could devote this much time and energy to trying to organize a boycott a video game. Like seriously, some people need a real problem to try to solve.

It's almost as marketing cought up with manufactured outrage potential.
Yeah and I know a lot of people in the demographics that the director and JK are openly hostile too and I already see they have purchased it and I know if asked they are just going to say something along the lines of "I'm not going to let some bigoted asshat ruin what I love, so I'll do what I want", so yay for manufactured artificial rage, all the great rage taste with none of the calories.

My only complaint so far is that I can't manually save in the tutorial. Haven't gotten any further. Probably averaging 75 FPS @1440p on my laptop with a 6800M.

Second thought - another complaint is it keeps trying to automatically set my graphics options.

My bad.

lol, I hear you...but the first Harry Potter book came out nearly 30 years ago, and there are orders of magnitude more eyes on Twitch and Tik Tok than there are on our 'get off my lawn' forums.

CZQUMWTWIAISWTN.jpg

There was talk of a boycott? Man I love not watching/paying attention too much to mainstream media. Reminds me if when churches called Dungeons & Dragons a tool if Satan!

There was talk of a boycott? Man I love not watching/paying attention too much to mainstream media. Reminds me if when churches called Dungeons & Dragons a tool if Satan!
Nope now the tables have turned and the D&D community is calling out WotC/Hasbro as being in league with the Devil.

heh, and there I was just thinking the Harry Potter universe was a lame franchise for kids in the lame "fantasy" genre :p

oh. and it's third person (boo, hiss)

I don't understand how I ahve completely missed all of this controversy. Until this thread I had literally never heard of the game, and I spend good chunks of my day, every day reading sites on the border of tech and gaming enthusiasm :p

You forget that everyone our age when Star Wars game out said the exact same things. lol
Potter was a series of flicks with magic and wonder... that landed when they where the right age. Now the child fans of the potter flicks are adults.
Hell it was even scored by John Williams. :)

You forget that everyone our age when Star Wars game out said the exact same things. lol
Potter was a series of flicks with magic and wonder... that landed when they where the right age. Now the child fans of the potter flicks are adults.
Hell it was even scored by John Williams. :)

Fair. I'll admit I was of a certain impressionable age when I saw the first three Star Wars films, and I probably have an undue appreciation of them as a result, which is why neither the prequels or the sequels have quite been able to measure up.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD
like this
Fair. I'll admit I was of a certain impressionable age when I saw the first three Star Wars films, and I probably have an undua appreciation of them as a result, which is why neither the prequels or the sequels have quite been able to measure up.

Potter fans are in the prequel era. :) They are starting to get cool games. They got a trilogy of prequels that isn't as good in the form of fantastic beasts.
At some point Rowling is going to cash out like Lucas did... sell the IP off to Disney or some other slaver (Lucas' words) corp. Then they are going to get reboots or sequel trilogies of their own to hate. haha

Potter fans are in the prequel era. :) They are starting to get cool games. They got a trilogy of prequels that isn't as good in the form of fantastic beasts.
At some point Rowling is going to cash out like Lucas did... sell the IP off to Disney or some other slaver (Lucas' words) corp. Then they are going to get reboots or sequel trilogies of their own to hate. haha
Already in the works, supposedly WB is trying to get control of the Potterverse because JK is actively detracting from the value of the IP. The deal they initially worked out with her is ugly and problematic but they wrote it up in a way that if the first movie bombed they wouldn't be stuck with a dead IP they overpaid for. But now they need to actively find a way to cut her from the IP and that's gonna be expensive.

Already in the works, supposedly WB is trying to get control of the Potterverse because JK is actively detracting from the value of the IP. The deal they initially worked out with her is ugly and problematic but they wrote it up in a way that if the first movie bombed they wouldn't be stuck with a dead IP they overpaid for. But now they need to actively find a way to cut her from the IP and that's gonna be expensive.
I'm sure they are... but they would have been trying regardless. I hope she holds and racks in some more 100s of millions before cashing out big at some point. I'm not so sure WB would really want to pull it from her quite yet... as this game seems to be proving. Standing for traditional feminism seems to be very much helping all things Potter sales wise.

I'm sure they are... but they would have been trying regardless. I hope she holds and racks in some more 100s of millions before cashing out big at some point. I'm not so sure WB would really want to pull it from her quite yet... as this game seems to be proving. Standing for traditional feminism seems to be very much helping all things Potter sales wise.
The Wizarding World stuff has supposedly netted her a cool Billion and growing as of 2022. I remember sometime around the 4th Movie that WB had looked to buy her out completely and simply hire her as a consultant but the number she demanded made Disney's purchase of Lucas Arts look like pocket change.
Oh well here's hoping her antics actively kill the value of the IP, and when she is gone the works can be resurrected and live alongside those of J.R.R, H.P.C, S.C.D as flawed people who managed to make something awesome.
Maybe the 2070 holo reboot of the franchise will be pretty good.

I find this chilling.
Well if the value of the IP crashes then it can be bought out from them more easily, and with the problem gone perhaps we can get back to just enjoying something without having to worry about the social and political ramifications of liking a fictional series not because of its content but because of its creator.

I find this chilling.
Yeah it’s off topic but I hope she never sells any of her stuff to these companies. They’ll kill her vision and cater it to whatever it is we are in now.

That said, game is awesome. And I’m not sure Intel beat them, nvidia just didn’t announce it in the release (which in and of itself speaks volumes). The biggest game release of the year (and probably last year other than maybe Demon Souls 9) and you don’t announce your game ready driver supports it.

😂

The Wizarding World stuff has supposedly netted her a cool Billion and growing as of 2022. I remember sometime around the 4th Movie that WB had looked to buy her out completely and simply hire her as a consultant but the number she demanded made Disney's purchase of Lucas Arts look like pocket change.
Oh well here's hoping her antics actively kill the value of the IP, and when she is gone the works can be resurrected and live alongside those of J.R.R, H.P.C, S.C.D as flawed people who managed to make something awesome.
Maybe the 2070 holo reboot of the franchise will be pretty good.

Her "antics" You mean supporting science. Ya no what she is doing (being the same feminist she has always been) is making the brand more valuable.
That you consider JRR a flawed person tells me all I need to know about taking what you post seriously. Anyway social political crap off. Back to [H] things. o7

I literally had zero preexisting interest in the Harry Potter universe or this video game, but the fact that purple haired dip shit activists are screaming about it on the internet makes me think I should probably check it out.

I literally had zero preexisting interest in the Harry Potter universe or this video game, but the fact that purple haired dip shit activists are screaming about it on the internet makes me think I should probably check it out.

Even if you don’t care anything about Harry Potter or the social justice stuff you’d be surprised about the level of detail and mechanics that went into the game.

I would have liked to see MP duels somehow and more in depth customization in character traits but otherwise it’s pretty good.

RT is broken and it stutters a bit but day one patch supposed to tackle that.

The nvidia patch didn’t really do anything imo. The DLSS upgrade did more for me anyway, the have a newer DLSS file for frame gen but I haven’t tried it yet.

You know it's a slow news day when an article like this is written. Who cares? The game doesn't even come out for everyone until Friday.

My only complaint so far is that I can't manually save in the tutorial. Haven't gotten any further. Probably averaging 75 FPS @1440p on my laptop with a 6800M.

Second thought - another complaint is it keeps trying to automatically set my graphics options.
I haven't played on my desktop yet, but checked the graphics settings on the 6800M laptop.

It was running something like 77% render scale, no RT, TAA low, all other options on Ultra (annoying motion blur, film grain, and chromatic aberration disabled). I changed the render scale to 100% (2560x1440) and enabled FSR 2 Quality. Inside Hogwarts it's averaging about 60 FPS now. Could be smoother.

The "benchmark" is no benchmark. The screen goes blank for a couple of seconds then you get "suggested" graphics settings.

AMD drivers aren't showing any problems for me. I'm looking forward to the next release to see if they can find any improvements.

I'm still on the first day at Hogwarts. Went to a couple of classes and now seeing what happens when I wander and explore. The game is off to a solid start. There are several guide mechanisms that some people may dislike as "hand holding". The developers have put a lot of effort into making Hogwarts accurately huge, but accessible to fans that aren't frequent gamers. The tutorial has good exposition to get the story rolling, so by the time you get to Hogwarts there are plot points to draw you in.

that usually means its really good. its part of why im interested, stick it to the idiots

Back