Intel ARC A750 & A770 Reviews

It is not all doom and gloom.
ARC is maturing well and the price is not bad for the feature set.

WMR under A770...not adjusted in game and not yet optimized by Intel. Still acceptable.

Intel ARC A770 in Assetto Corsa at the Nords.
The card is running every racing title I currently have at better levels and fps than my previous card...for around half of the price.
It is very smooth as well in most titles.

all that blocking and noise from youtube? assuming so. those corner/replay shots are pretty damn convincing.

all that blocking and noise from youtube? assuming so. those corner/replay shots are pretty damn convincing.
Yes on the noise and blocking....the actual gameplay footage does not have that or any stutter at all.
That A770 is extremely impressive where smoothness is concerned.
It may not be the framerate king but it more than makes up for that aspect in other areas.
I took 20 cars to Mugello...in low light...in the rain...with lots of spray during this test.
Most GPUs 'choke' with any amount of spray...furthermore the other two elements.
That card churned through it all at almost broadcast smoothness.
Here's a sample....
Watch things like the pit-wall, the curbs, the fences, other cars, etc... go by the car.
Again...some smoothness was lost on the YT upload.

Last edited:

I will take this level of performance any day of the week for $349 over an 8 or 12 GB card with a narrow cut-down bus.
Every title I've run to date is smooth.
It may not have the peak fps as the RTX3060Ti or the RX6600 but I'll take the 'fluid' running all day and twice on Sunday over those two.
I have not had a single in game crash either with that A770...not one.
Is the card 100% perfect? No
I still have to manually install drivers but that also gives me the option over what I want to install.
I don't have any annoyance messages because I simply do not install the ARC Control Center.

Last edited:

I will take this level of performance any day of the week for $349 over an 8 or 12 GB card with a narrow cut-down bus.
Every title I've run to date is smooth.
It may not have the peak fps as the RTX3060Ti or the RX6600 but I'll take the 'fluid' running all day and twice on Sunday over those two.
I have not had a single in game crash either with that A770...not one.
Is the card 100% perfect? No
I still have to manually install drivers but that also gives me the option over what I want to install.
I don't have any annoyance messages because I simply do not install the ARC Control Center.

How many games have you played? Any particularly older games?

Building a system later this week with a A770 16Gb, ASRock B760 Steel Legend and a i5-12400. Be interesting to see how the card does.

sam

Got it put together last night. So far underwhelmed by the A770. Granted only tried one game ( PGA 2K23) and DX11 performance is woefully bad. My usual FPS on the other systems I have it on (I run at 4K@60Hz on all) are in the 70-100 range, get 33 with the 770. May try to install DXVK as that game runs great under Arch Linux using it.

sam

For the money these cards are only getting better. If I didn't already have a 3080, or were building a budget rig, they would at least be on the list.

I've already started a return. Getting flashing screen when I have it connected to the LG 4K TV in our bedroom which is where the system is located. Tried a HDMI to DP cable, no signal at all from the DP ports on the A770. Read something yesterday about another possible price drop on the ARC cards, I can see why.

sam

I've already started a return. Getting flashing screen when I have it connected to the LG 4K TV in our bedroom which is where the system is located. Tried a HDMI to DP cable, no signal at all from the DP ports on the A770. Read something yesterday about another possible price drop on the ARC cards, I can see why.

sam
DP to HDMI can be trial and error in getting a working brand. Do those same DP to HDMI cables work on a different GPU, with the same display?
Another thing to note, is that some of those cables only work 'one way'. So, if you have it backwards, it won't ever work.

DP to HDMI can be trial and error in getting a working brand. Do those same DP to HDMI cables work on a different GPU, with the same display?
Another thing to note, is that some of those cables only work 'one way'. So, if you have it backwards, it won't ever work.

Actually I've decided to keep the card. Got a Cable Matters active DP to HDMI adapter and that fixed the issue. Works fine now connected to the LG 4K TV.

The card does want I need it to do, will play the games I want at 55-70FPS using DXVK. Using a i5-12400, ASRock B760M Steel Legend wifi mobo. Running the latest 4255 driver for the A770.

sam

Can we see footage of something other than racing games......

Can we see footage of something other than racing games......
I don't do regular gaming....just racing simulations.
The videos were for the benefit of guys who do the same and are considering ARC cards.
They're plenty of gaming benchmarks. Seek those out with Google.

Last edited:
The A60 is interesting as it's a single slot card (shocker). And might actually sit between a 380 and 750 somewhere. Just think it's interesting due to single slot.

Intel's initial impression wasn't great, but glad they kept hammering at it... while a RX 7600 is a better performer and value (talking about brand spanking new stuff), Intel has improved the most over time. Looking forward to Battlemage and beyond.

Also looking for better Linux support.

Not too shabby
1686524917567.png

The A60 is interesting as it's a single slot card (shocker). And might actually sit between a 380 and 750 somewhere. Just think it's interesting due to single slot.

Intel's initial impression wasn't great, but glad they kept hammering at it... while a RX 7600 is a better performer and value (talking about brand spanking new stuff), Intel has improved the most over time. Looking forward to Battlemage and beyond.

Also looking for better Linux support.
I would like to see more single slot GPUs honestly. I vaguely recall being irritated when GPUs started taking up multiple slots. Accept it as needed due to heat/noise, but still.

EOL

Intel Discontinues the 16GB Limited Edition of Arc A770

by btarunr Today, 02:13 Discuss (15 Comments)
Intel issued a product change notification (PCN), announcing the discontinuation of the reference-design Arc A770 16 GB Limited Edition graphics card. The product is now marked end-of-life (EOL) from Intel's end. What this means is that retailers cannot order more of it from Intel. The Arc A770 has 8 GB as its standard video memory size, and in its reference spec, uses 8 GB of 16 Gbps-rated GDDR6 memory across a 256-bit wide memory bus. The first-party A770 Limited Edition card comes with 16 GB of faster 17.5 Gbps memory. Memory aside, both the A770 Limited Edition, and custom-design A770 graphics cards have the same GPU core-configuration.

1687439623795.png

Intel Graphics Releases Arc & Iris Xe Graphics Drivers 101.4502 WHQL

by T0@st Today, 09:58 Discuss (0 Comments)
Intel Graphics has released Arc GPU and Iris Xe Graphics Drivers version 101.4502 WHQL. There are no gaming highlights or brand new Game On Driver support included in this release, according to the notes. An Arc-related iTunes application crash (upon launch) has been fixed, as well as blank screen and error messages encountered in Microsoft Edge's WebView2. There are plenty of "Known Issues" listed this time—Intel and EA Sports are looking into a problem where adjustments to XeSS presets cause crashes in F1 2023. Corruption in Game Capture mode for Dota 2 (via XSplit Broadcaster) has been noted. Media playback and encoding with some versions of Adobe Premiere Pro cannot utilize GPU hardware acceleration.

There are also various in-game issues - for owners of Intel Core Processors - logged for these titles: Total War: Warhammer III (DX11), Call of Duty Warzone 2.0 (DX12), Conqueror's Blade (DX12) and A Plague Tale: Requiem. The Arc Control Performance Tuning app is still in Beta, so expect to encounter some inconsistencies when using it. Intel and Cooler Master have partnered up on the continued development of Arc's RGB Controller software—it is custom designed "to allow users to harness 90 individually addressable LEDs on Intel Arc A770 Graphics Limited Edition cards."

Reactions: Folly
like this
Just picked one of these up, a used Acer which was cheap. planning to pair it with a 5700X which I also got cheap with a B550 Tomahawk.

Quite excited to see how it performs, my daily driver is a 9 year old Z87 based system with a more recent 1660S, and while I fully expect this to eventually usurp it, I'll keep the old one running while Intel continues to update the drivers.
Great to see a third player enter the GPU scene, a well needed wake up call for AMD in particular.

Just picked one of these up, a used Acer which was cheap. planning to pair it with a 5700X which I also got cheap with a B550 Tomahawk.

Quite excited to see how it performs, my daily driver is a 9 year old Z87 based system with a more recent 1660S, and while I fully expect this to eventually usurp it, I'll keep the old one running while Intel continues to update the drivers.
Great to see a third player enter the GPU scene, a well needed wake up call for AMD in particular.

Post your experience after you spend enough time with the Intel GPU to give an assessment 👍

A750 vs RTX 4060 vs RX 7600.
For $100 cheaper, the A750 is on average 19% slower than the 4060 at 1080p. (Depending on the game)
The little A750 has come pretty far since it dropped almost a year ago.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVX6odo-bJ8

The A750 shouldn't even be mentioned sentence as the RTX4060. It is not even in the same ballpark pricewise and yet here we are...
I run my A770 on a B450 with re-sizeable bar on, XMP and PBO off.
The RAM timings are set to DDR4-3600, 1T, CAS 16, 19, 19, 36 at 1.38 volts.
I have no instability, no stutters....just good, solid performance in every title I currently run.

Last edited:
Shouldn't even be in the same ballpark and yet....
Not sure which should or should not be in the same ballpark, it is a $289 launch price GPU with a giant 406mm2 die and 256 bit memory bus compared to supposed to be similarly priced gpu (one with a 159mm die-128 bit bus, the other a 204mm on the same node than the 750 also 128bit bus)

One could say the 7600/4060 should be much closer and not even be in the same ballpark than the 750 which should be competing with the upcoming 7800 or something, but Nvidia/AMD have been doing this for a long time.

Finally got my build finished and I'm loving the Arc. I still have 1080p monitors at 60 Hz so I can't speak about 1440p at higher FPS.

There have been no issues so far with any of the games I play - once I got it working.
There was some trouble at the beginning getting it to send images to my monitors, and until W10/drivers were completely up to date it wouldn't allow me to even boot up Starfield, I got the message about the GPU not being adequate, but once I got the OS and all drivers up to date it booted right up.

Starfield - High settings across the board and it's stable unknown FPS, I only played a couple of hours so I'm braced for some crashes eventually, but so far no problems. I feel I could up some settings to Ultra but would need to spend some time experimenting as I'm sure some of the settings will hit performance hard.
Red Dead - Maxed out and delivers a smooth 60 FPS.
It even works with Graviteam Tactics, a niche strategy wargame that is notoriously resource hungry.

I have no doubt that I will encounter issues eventually, I only tried a handful of games and only played them for a few hours, but the first couple of days have been surprisingly free of drama.

Does anyone know if MSI afterburner works with Arc? I'd really like to take some screenshots with on screen FPS, temps and utilization data.

Last edited:
DL it and see if it works, and report back to us. :)
sf1.PNGsf2.PNGsf3.PNGsf4.PNG

Just experienced my first crash to desktop, happened when in the star map : (
But it's better than I expected, smooth, pretty and FPS bounces between 50s and high 30s.

Dayz with everything maxed seems extremely stable, slight FPS drops near water with max reflections and when zombie horde is around, but otherwise 60 all the way.

sz0.JPGdz1.PNGdz2.JPGdz3.JPGdz4.JPG

RDR2 same as Dayz, pretty much maxed out on everything and never drops below 60 FPS, but again it's more about stability and functionality and so far no issues.
rdr1.JPGrdr2.JPGrdr3.JPGrdr5.JPGrdr6.JPGrfr4.JPG

Back