Intel Announces The Solid-State Drive 910 Series

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel Corporation introduced today the Intel® Solid-State Drive 910 Series (Intel® SSD 910 Series), a super high-performing SSD to address rigorous data center storage demands driven by cloud computing, virtualization and online transactions. The Intel SSD 910 Series delivers accelerated storage performance, endurance and reliability critical to today's data center performance applications. It includes Intel High Endurance Technology and optimized multi-level cell (MLC) 25-nanometer NAND flash memory, that allows up to 10 full drive writes a day for 5 years, or a 30x endurance improvement* over its standard MLC-based flash products, for a cost-effective storage solution.

Interesting. I'd love to scour through reviews to see how it does at both low and high queue depths compared to the "old" gen intel SSD's and competitor's offerings.

IMHO, PCIe SSD's are not going to be interesting until we get to th epoint where there is a direct PCIe -> Flash interface not requiring a SAS or SATA controller in between.

Until that time, I'm just going to stick with regular Sata connector drives.

Zarathustra[H];1038602653 said:
IMHO, PCIe SSD's are not going to be interesting until we get to th epoint where there is a direct PCIe -> Flash interface not requiring a SAS or SATA controller in between.

Until that time, I'm just going to stick with regular Sata connector drives.

Agreed

The dead Intel 320 on my shelf due to bad firmware disagrees.

People said the Vertex 3 was a disaster waiting too happen, I've had one for over six months with a PC that's barely ever switched of, over 5000 hours online and zero issues

Zarathustra[H];1038604467 said:
Nor does leaving a dead drive on your shelf :p

I wonder if the expectation is that if Intel releases a firmware fix, the data could be recovered?

I read about this yesterday on AnandTech.com. It's about time that someone decided to utilize the match faster PCI-e slot for SSDs vs. the slower SATA interface. Too bad these SSDs are really expensive, about $5/GB. :eek:

I read about this yesterday on AnandTech.com. It's about time that someone decided to utilize the match faster PCI-e slot for SSDs vs. the slower SATA interface. Too bad these SSDs are really expensive, about $5/GB. :eek:

That, and all current PCIe SSD's have either a SATA or SAS controller on board, so you are essentially getting:

PCIe -> SATA/SAS Controller -> SSD either way. It's just all on the same board.

The benefits you speak of above will only come into play with the next generation when we get a direct PCIe to flash ram interface.

you know intel isn't the first to do this. OCZ has been doing it for years, as have other companies.

Zarathustra[H];1038607393 said:
That, and all current PCIe SSD's have either a SATA or SAS controller on board, so you are essentially getting:

PCIe -> SATA/SAS Controller -> SSD either way. It's just all on the same board.

The benefits you speak of above will only come into play with the next generation when we get a direct PCIe to flash ram interface.
Yeah, agreed about SSD still being a generation behind to fully exploit PCI-e speeds. And for most of us "normal" users, it won't really make a difference, since not many are being bottle necked by current SATA speeds.

you know intel isn't the first to do this. OCZ has been doing it for years, as have other companies.
But faster than SATA speeds?

Nice. I wasn't aware of those earlier generation PCI-e SSDs.

It wasn't without pain though. Those earlier models were plagued with issues. First gen's couldn't boot well (if not at all). There was firmware issues..blah blah blah. However, the raw performance was insane (and still is). For high performance databases, there was no equal.

Now that intel has decided to play ball, the overall level of at least quality should improve which benefits it all. Never underestimate what a titan can do when he wants to sell to a much larger audience.

It wasn't without pain though. Those earlier models were plagued with issues. First gen's couldn't boot well (if not at all). There was firmware issues..blah blah blah. However, the raw performance was insane (and still is). For high performance databases, there was no equal.

Now that intel has decided to play ball, the overall level of at least quality should improve which benefits it all. Never underestimate what a titan can do when he wants to sell to a much larger audience.
Intel brings a lot of credibility to this (PCI-e) format and yes, hopefully reliability/quality will continue to improve.

Someone commented talking about the $5/Gb price point which i agree is a pretty penny, but at the same time this drive is build and intended for database centers, I don't think I'm going to end up putting these in my servers

Someone commented talking about the $5/Gb price point which i agree is a pretty penny, but at the same time this drive is build and intended for database centers, I don't think I'm going to end up putting these in my servers
Yeah, that was me who made that comment, and true, it's for businesses who have that kind of $ to spend. Most consumers won't even consider this.

Back