Intel and AMD on same motherboard?

towert7

2[H]4U
Hello, someone was chucking an old computer,,, about 92-94. Its in a somewhat slim case.

I opened it up, and it did not have a processor. All it had was an empty socket which said "Socket 3" on it.

What was strange, was there are another little thing next to it, with a heatsink/fan on it...
Funny thing was, it did not have a lever to unlock the processor, so i figgured it might have just been another random chip.

So, i tried to start it up, and it actually ran, so that little thing with a heat sink must have been a processor.
It went into win 95, and under the system properities it said GenuineAMD 28mb RAM.

What in gods name...? Does the mobo have a integrated AMD processor, with the option to upgrade to an intel processor? Can the thing act as a dualy? amd and intel?

When i bring it home on friday, ill open it up again and take a picture of it.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this?

On a side note, the Socket 3 was only Intel... right? (or did cyrix and AMD make a socket 3 too?)

~Thanks

yup, up until socket7. then intel went slot and AMD went super socket7/slot A/socket A

Amd started out as an intel clone company when they went into the home market, cause they do make more the computer processors they make a wide range of ics for electronics

In days gone by, the Math Co-Processor was not built into the CPU as it is today, it was a separate socket on the board. AMD got it's start by making chips that would fit into an Intel socket.

Novensu

They use to be interchangable up to after the Socket 7 series...

Ok, here are the pics.

As i said before, the white socket says "Socket 3" on it. The black thing with the heat sink has no lever to release a "CPU", and there is also another thing that says "Cyrix FasMath"..... (perhapse this is the math co-processor Novensu was talking about)... The computer started into windows... so there is at least some processor that was intigrated....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Also, do you think if i put in a socket 3 CPU, i would have a DUAL CPU system, or do you think it would just default to the socket 3?

I did not find a name on the motherboard.

~Thanks for any info you can give

There appear to be a lot of jumpers surrounding the socket. It may be an upgrade socket enabled thru the use of the jumpers. Dont know for sure, never saw anything quite like it.

Who made the board? This looks vaguely familiar.......
Edit:
Wait.......I think I might know what that is........it is a 486 that other socket might be the overdrive upgrade socket. But I am not 100% on that.

edit 2: If so the socket 3 would be the upgrade IIRC and the socket in use is a 168pin socket.

towert7 said:
Ok, here are the pics.

As i said before, the white socket says "Socket 3" on it. The black thing with the heat sink has no lever to release a "CPU", and there is also another thing that says "Cyrix FasMath"..... (perhapse this is the math co-processor Novensu was talking about)... The computer started into windows... so there is at least some processor that was intigrated....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Also, do you think if i put in a socket 3 CPU, i would have a DUAL CPU system, or do you think it would just default to the socket 3?

I did not find a name on the motherboard.

~Thanks for any info you can give

Looks to me to be a mylex (or possibly fic) board probably - as I've actually had one of these boards before.

To answer your questions

1) No, it will not function as a dually board
2) Yes, there is an amd processor under that heatsink
3) Yes, you can put a faster socket3 processor in the board
4) Yes, that cyrix chip is a math co-processor
5) The brown slot infront of the black slot is a VLB slot (32 bit, before PCI)
6) You'll probably have to change jumpers to disable the onboard cpu, and enable the socket3

Socket 3, if I remember correctly, could support a maximum of amd 5x86-dx/120 (3 x 40mhz) But I'm sure someone will tell me if I am wrong.

If you show me LARGE pics of the ENTIRE motherboard (especially the FCC-ID #) I can tell you exactly what board it is.

Now, maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but, i'd swear that cyrix chip says (c) 1999 on it..

If so the socket 3 would be the upgrade IIRC and the socket in use is a 168pin socket.

I'm betting the thing under the heatsink is Not socketed at all, but in fact either IC packaged (4 way lead-out) or bga'd down

Laforge said:
Looks to me to be a mylex (or possibly fic) board probably - as I've actually had one of these boards before.

To answer your questions

1) No, it will not function as a dually board
2) Yes, there is an amd processor under that heatsink
3) Yes, you can put a faster socket3 processor in the board
4) Yes, that cyrix chip is a math co-processor
5) The brown slot infront of the black slot is a VLB slot (32 bit, before PCI)
6) You'll probably have to change jumpers to disable the onboard cpu, and enable the socket3

Socket 3, if I remember correctly, could support a maximum of amd 5x86-dx/120 (3 x 40mhz) But I'm sure someone will tell me if I am wrong.

If you show me LARGE pics of the ENTIRE motherboard (especially the FCC-ID #) I can tell you exactly what board it is.

Now, maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but, i'd swear that cyrix chip says (c) 1999 on it..

I think you would be correct....I was editing my post when you posted

Laforge said:
I'm betting the thing under the heatsink is Not socketed at all, but in fact either IC packaged (4 way lead-out) or bga'd down

I don't know....I think I have seen this board before...and I think that it was socketed but I could be wrong....it has been a while. Maybe he can let us know one way or the other.

valeriyk said:
Looks like 1989 to me... Or possibly 1993, 1994

I threw it into photoshop, and you're right, those are 8's .. 1988, specifically.

i wonder if the OP could come back with some MUCH larger pictures

THe more i look at it, the more I'm convinced it's a mylex board.

Found my bookmark!

From here: http://users.erols.com/chare/cpu_sock.htm#486socket

Surface Mounted CPU and 169-pin OverDrive Socket

* In a motherboard that has a surface mounted CPU and a 169-pin upgrade socket, the only choices are the Intel 486 OverDrive (ODP), Trinity Works version of the 5x86, and the Evergreen 586. The Trinity Works adapter has an unusual 169th pin which prevents the chip from being inserted incorrectly (it also has a socket extender so it will fit into 168-pin sockets). For the OverDrive, the best bet would be the 100MHz version (provided a 33MHz bus speed is available on the motherboard).

and

Original 168-pin Socket and 237-pin OverDrive Socket 3

* In 486 motherboards with the 168-pin socket and a Socket 3 upgrade socket, all of the listed processors are possibilities (even the low voltage versions). A jumper will allow for voltage selection. But you still need to be careful with write-back cache mode on the AMD 5x86 and Pentium OverDrive (not all motherboards support this feature). An interposer may be required to disable write-back mode on the P24T.

Now this did come from the web and it has been a long time since i have seen this board so this may not be the case....but give it a look.

Edit: This might be of some help with IDing the board.....
http://docs.van-diepen.com/th99/m/m486_i2.htm

The cyrix "FasMath" processor says ©1989

4.jpg

5.jpg

Please right Click > "Save target as" here for the 2 large pics (to save bandwith)
6.tif
7.tif
(might take a min or two)

Thanks for all the info. Its strange, but this is the first motherboard ive seen with an intigrated processor, with the option of adding an upgrade.

LOL, when i was in windows 95, with nothing running... if i moved my mouse the CPU would average about 10% usage... that's when you know its old. ^_^

Also, for all the pics of motherboards that loaded, none of them matched. it came close to one, but the one i have does not have the round bios battery, but rather the large cube battery. (I also checked page 1)

Is that processor that is already there socketed or not? Just curious.

And windows 95 on a 486 less than a DX4-100 or so is going to be painful I would guess

Nope, the one with the black heatsink/fan is perminent, no lever to release it. I took of the fan, and there was no additional information about what it was.
The cyrix FasMath does not have a lever also, but it seems as if it can be taken out.

towert7 said:
Nope, the one with the black heatsink/fan is perminent, no lever to release it. I took of the fan, and there was no additional information about what it was.
The cyrix FasMath does not have a lever also, but it seems as if it can be taken out.

Well I guess I was wrong then. That socket 3 socket is interesting then. I don't have much else that I can think of.....good luck.

The 'permanent' cpu probably isn't, it's just a tight fit. This is why the basic computer toolkit sets come with those clamps with the little catches on the end, you hook them under the cpu and give a quick yank straight up. If you aren't straight, you bend pins. Most likely, the chip under the fan is a 486sx as the 486 was the first chip with an on-chip math co-processor. In the SX's the math co-pro was faulty and so it was disabled requiring a second chip for this functionality. As a previous poster said that socket is likely for an overdrive chip. As for the FCC-ID, that is likely on the bottom of the motherboard as it's not in the pictures, and would allow us to tell you exactly who made it.

Back